New guy to reloading, need some help.

The only resistance you should ever feel is when you have to cut a kernel of powder. When this happens, i usually dump the load and throw another charge (for consistency).
The fill/dispense swing should be almost frictionless unless, as GLTaylor wrote, you are cutting a kernel (stick) of powder.
My powder adjuster is pointing up when filling and pointing down down when dispensing.
FWIT: Mine is probably older than you and still works well.

Is the handle on the right side, using your right hand to dispenser powder? If you unscrew the meter adjustment screw all the way off does it still have a lot of friction?

I have the unit set up for left hand use. I have taken the metering unit out and it is still has a lot of friction when trying to rotate the drum. I called RCBS and they are sending a new drum. Stated if that did not work they would send a new housing unit.

I have the unit set up for left hand use. I have taken the metering unit out and it is still has a lot of friction when trying to rotate the drum. I called RCBS and they are sending a new drum. Stated if that did not work they would send a new housing unit.
Maybe a burr on one part or the other? After playing with it you might be able to see where it is rubbing.. these things are pretty bulletproof. But, all things manufactured can have defects. This is the first time for a uniflow.

There are only 2 places of friction on that measure. Either the the barrel is tight in the housing or the metering assembly is tight in the slot cut in the housing. I would think both could be fixed with some fine sandpaper. I used mine for 30 years no problems. Then i saw a lee perfect powder measure for $25 and thought i give it a try. Never went back. The lee is a little more consistent but it hardly ever cuts a kernal. That alone makes it better. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.