Need some reloading help

is it the same lot of brass? Hopefully that are from the same lot and not mixed brass, and are you trimming to minimum trim length by the recommended standard.?
And how reliable do you believe you scales are? Also, you mentioned changing your die setting, this could account for some differences in your findings. Always remember, only make ONE change at a time. Otherwise you'll never know which change affected your test results.
The heavy bolt lift, cratered primer and ejector marks would have me concerned.
Just some things to consider.... my .02 cents
I use two scales to confirm weights. I only have one die set but I decided to try full cam over to see if I could set the shoulder back further on the cases that were sticky and they did not reduce at all with my comparator set so I'm at max shoulder setback with my current lee shell holder. I have a Redding shell holder set on the way that should help.

Trim the necks .010 short of standard length. Another suggestion I know everyone loves the .015 off the lands but I think you will have less press signs at or just below max loads with shorter AOL.. with very little sacrifice of accuracy . Have you checked you OAL to what your `book` says.? Bet you will see much more freebore than your .020

Just to finish up I have only built 2 28s and one 30/28 for various customers and all 3 occasions as I checked the freebore that THEIR reamers cut I was more than slightly amazed at the measurements .130 to .140 as I remember. That's the designers way of dealing with excessive chamber pressure. In all rifles the customers were doing their own load development so i dont know any outcomes but i advised them of the freebore situations Hope this info helps

The Redding Competition Shell holders will NOT size your case more only Less. A standard shell holder is .125 height. the Competition Shell holders start at .127 and increase or size less up to .135 in .002 increments. There are five shell holders in a set and they run .127, .129, .131, .133, .135. Again they are not shorter than a standard shell holder but they are Higher. So in order to size more you need to take .002 off the top of your standard height shell holder. I simply use some fine Emory paper and turn it upside down and on a flat surface until you have reached the desired height.
Most chambers are slightly oversized from min SAMMI specs and most dies are designed to size to min SAMMI so if you have a tight chamber you might to take a little off your shell holder. You will have to dedicate that shell holder to that die set and that gun.

The Redding Competition Shell holders will NOT size your case more only Less. A standard shell holder is .125 height. the Competition Shell holders start at .127 and increase or size less up to .135 in .002 increments. There are five shell holders in a set and they run .127, .129, .131, .133, .135. Again they are not shorter than a standard shell holder but they are Higher. So in order to size more you need to take .002 off the top of your standard height shell holder. I simply use some fine Emory paper and turn it upside down and on a flat surface until you have reached the desired height.
Most chambers are slightly oversized from min SAMMI specs and most dies are designed to size to min SAMMI so if you have a tight chamber you might to take a little off your shell holder. You will have to dedicate that shell holder to that die set and that gun.
That's odd as numerous people have stated the competition shell holders set solved this problem for them?!? Maybe my current shell holder is out of spec?

the emery paper thing, you do this by hand by rubbing back and forth?

That's odd as numerous people have stated the competition shell holders set solved this problem for them?!? Maybe my current shell holder is out of spec?

the emery paper thing, you do this by hand by rubbing back and forth?
For me, removing material from the shell holder by hand you take the chance of making it uneven.
( but then I'm an OCD klutz ).

Instead:
Case holders have a hole through which a makeshift arbor can be run. ( its a little bigger that 1/4")
Make an arbor from a machine screw and nut, ( take some of the threads off the end of the bolt/screw where it fits in the chuck so the nut can still be removed if threads get messed up). fit arbor/case holder in a drill press ,make the press / table plumb , spin the case holder against emery paper on the drill press table.
Measure frequently !

That's odd as numerous people have stated the competition shell holders set solved this problem for them?!?
Numerous people are wrong I wonder if they even have a set of Competition Shell holders. Call Redding and ask them? If you think your Shell holder is out of spec simple measure it. The Emory paper on a flat surface is at least as accurate as a bolt and nut for a arbor. Of course you have to have good Emory paper and a hard flat surface but it works surprising well. rotate the shell holder as you work and measure often. I didn't say get a course paper and start grinding. I would bet that few shell holders are a perfect fit to the bottom of a die anyway they are all mass produced in different plants in different states etc. So taking a little off the shell holder as I described will accomplish what you need no mess and no fuss.

Numerous people are wrong I wonder if they even have a set of Competition Shell holders. Call Redding and ask them? If you think your Shell holder is out of spec simple measure it. The Emory paper on a flat surface is at least as accurate as a bolt and nut for a arbor. Of course you have to have good Emory paper and a hard flat surface but it works surprising well. rotate the shell holder as you work and measure often. I didn't say get a course paper and start grinding. I would bet that few shell holders are a perfect fit to the bottom of a die anyway they are all mass produced in different plants in different states etc. So taking a little off the shell holder as I described will accomplish what you need no mess and no fuss.
I'll be honest, what part am I measuring and what part am I removing material from exactly?

You would measure from the bottom of the groove that the case sits in to the top where the shell holder makes contact with your die
14B4C00C-9BF4-4388-AFBE-9B0984740EF2.jpeg

You would measure from the bottom of the groove that the case sits in to the top where the shell holder makes contact with your die
Thanks. Just did this. I just measured it a few times with my calipers and I got .1265-.1275. I did the measurement a few times so it does appear it might be out of spec.

Not sure but I thought it should be .125 I measured mine like I showed in the picture and I got .140 and .1405 So there can be quite a difference

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.