Novice reloader looking for help

Seems pretty clear case of impending case head separation and gas leaking out around the case. I'd strongly recommend very carefully checking the inside of each of your cases with a bent paper clip for signs of separation. It could be only the once case, but given you aren't using a case comparator to set your shoulder bump, it is reasonably likely that your brass is being over-worked and other cases are in similar shape (and need to be tossed).

I would say case head separation. I had some 6.5 Rem Mag cases do this with the very fine black line around the belt. I was told to check inside the case with a very small o-ring pick with bent tip. Found several of my cases were cracked inside enough to feel it with the pick.
I was loading the cases down toward the low powder charge due to shooting in a 15" Encore pistol barrel.I was new to loading belted cases and was pushing the shoulder back too far when sizing so the action would close without forcing it. After talking to several friends that have been reloading for many years, which they suggested checking inside the case, I bumped charge up to the middle of the load range and only necked sized, and didn't have another do this. The burn residue went away at the shoulder and case necks stayed clean.
Good luck with your issue.
Mike

Novice reloader, loading about a year now, i was working on load development for my 7MM RM, was on low end of charge and 1 round developed 3 wrinkles just below case neck, brass was of name brand, this was the 3rd time it had been loaded, i was clocking the rounds and it was in range of the 6 rounds i speed checked, can anyone tell me why only this one case did this.
Combination of possibilities
Thick neck and shoulder, low charge weight of powder, irregular ignition of powder

I will say that with the brand of brass you are using I have seen absolutely excellent brass and at the same time, absolutely lousy brass.
I have seen cartridge brass weights vary 40 some grains in the same box of new .30'06
casings.
Recently I bought a box of 28 Nosler Factory Ammo in this brand and have reloaded the brass 6 times and it is still like new.
Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes their brass has an absolutely different sound than what one would consider normal when you have a bunch of cases together in a basket and you are shaking them around to dry them or remove tumbling media. I've had some that has a super high pitched "tinny" sound….absolutely different metal makeup than most other brass
Could be that you have one bad case.

Novice reloader, loading about a year now, i was working on load development for my 7MM RM, was on low end of charge and 1 round developed 3 wrinkles just below case neck, brass was of name brand, this was the 3rd time it had been loaded, i was clocking the rounds and it was in range of the 6 rounds i speed checked, can anyone tell me why only this one case did this.
Did read some of the replies, you NEED CASE LUB , I use a light coat of imperial both the lube and dry for seating . If you try without lube, look out for huge problems, and ck the die , make sure the little hole is open towards the top in the threads , it's tiny hole but lets the air out, if you build up pressure it will cave in the cartridge. Read your loading book for info.

I'm speaking from my own personal experience. My magnum has a long chamber. After the first firing, I don't full resize. .002 at most. That round looks like impending case separation. Have you measured the cases after firing? Maybe a long chamber. My 2 cents worth.

Like to know what dies you are using, and this is when your seating seeds, and your referring to Clocking is ???????? you have many good ideas here already, but like to know what you find out, how did you set the seating depth ????

I'm pretty sure it's from low pressure load. If I remember correctly a lower charge of IMR 7828 SCC did the samething in 7 RUMS. But like I said in an earlier post that was almost twenty years ago so I might not remember all the details correctly.

Please read earlier posts on this thread.
RANT: I wish folks would read all the prior posts before asking the same question again.
Happy If You Say So GIF

I think you should check all the cases you have been firing, for thinning just above the case head/belt area with the bent paper clip or o-ring pick as suggested by others. I have seen dents like that from splits in the lower part of the case and/or complete separations of the case head. If one of your cases is showing this all the others are likely the same or close-you can't save them. Don't let this happen
20210824_140803.jpg

20210824_140752.jpg

Excess lube on the cases during sizing or plugged breather hole, in my experience, cause dents on the shoulder not the case body.

Recent Posts