Muzzle Brake and Scope Movement

I read in some book years ago...there was a man shooting something even bigger than the 50 cal. with a brake installed. At the time the Leupold EFR was what turned out to be the "keeper" for him, for the very reason of reverse recoil and the fact that Leupold designed this "EFR" scope for reverse recoil. They designed it to withstand the spring-air pellet rifles as well as high power center fire. I wish I could remember where I read that because I'd bet some of you have the same book laying around. This man said he had more than one scope full of loose parts before he found one that would hold up.

Now you have me torn between which scope to buy. I was about to buy a regular leupold LRT vxIII, but that EFR sounds appealing with the resistance to the reverse recoil. Does anyone have any experience with the EFR or LRT on a big caliber with a break?

As long as you buy a top quality scope, I don't think you'll have any trouble. I would think any Leupold will be up to the task.

Hi; I also read the Leupold Mark 4 held up good too. The EFR has one inch tube and 40mm Objective so you may want to be sure the turret travel is enough to suite you. You may want to call Leupold and talk to one of their tech support guys and ask about the construction of their current generation of scopes, it may be that they are constructed as well as the EFR or better?? This book I read was printed in the early to mid 1990's. A lot has changed since then and I would call and talk to someone about the scope you have in mind. I would trust an old EFR over the old non EFR Leupold scopes, except for the old MARK 4 which was said to be good back in them days too.

Finally finality!

Ordered a super sniper 16X as a compromise between power,realiability and cost from SWFA

Bummer, it was back ordered. 2 to 3 weeks wait, if. I hate ifs.

Asked what else they had. Like maybe a weaver or something. Just happened to have a weaver tactical 4X14.

Its on its way. No ifs ands or buts. Plus a set of Burris Signature rings. Which I will promptly degrease. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks for all the information folks. Now maybe I can see what those 252gr WCs will do.

Roy:

Finally! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like you've got it all under control.
001_grinning-smiley-003.gif
That's the same scope Kirby has on his new speed goat rifle. I don't think you'll have any more problems.

Good luck with your testing now that the scope issue has been resolved.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Does anyone have any experience with the EFR or LRT on a big caliber with a break? </font>

[/ QUOTE ] I put a lot of shells thru my 50 with a Loopie VX-III 4.5-14x50mm with 70 MOA using Burris sig before going with NF and Burris Xtreme rings. (updated to 40, 60 and 90 MOA rails) The Loopie is now on my custom 375 Kirby/Lilja/RUM with a holland QD brake, trigger job, bedding. Pleasanter shooting tac driver. (Pre CANTing with a 35 deg rail)

This reverse thrust hysteria is all wives tails (probably, but look at the time/pressure charts and knowing the Sin(30) = 50%, the mathematics says it's all BS unless the optics are built like car seats (only protect you from forward acceleration). Not true in NF with etched in glass reticules. Ez to test, just mount a scope backwards and fire a few rounds.
Use a Serbu carbine- half the weight and 1/4 the accuracy of my State Arms Super shorty - Serbo are the most famous, most inaccurate 50 you can buy (of the single shots (thanks to the google god )). If you want the ultimate kicking gun, well made, sloppy shooter (you don't plan on winning on the bench) this is a great gun to experiment with.
http://www.serbu.com/bfg50.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.