Best Muzzle Brake??

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to pimp my breaks but if you want the best recoil reduction get a baffle designed brake. If it has holes like 20-30 small ones all the way around it won't reduce recoil nearly as much as a baffle design + correctly engineered baffle breaks keep the rifle level under recoil. If you just like the looks of the slim line multi hole breaks that is a different issue. I am about performance. I have been building and designing breaks for close to 10 years. My opinions are just that opinions, but they are developed from the input of customers and the opinions of many end users. What ever one you go with be sure you buy it for what you want it to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn.

Weatherby boasts 53% reduction in recoil. How do your MB's do? Also is the baffle design just as loud? thanx

It's my understanding that any break's efficiency is highly dependand on the intensity of the cartridge that it is used with.

53% seems to be a rather broad claim. I wonder how they test for reduction in recoil and/or muzzle jump. I'd also like to know if they can measure for the increase in muzzle blast from the shooters perspective.

Weatherby claims alot of things. Recoil and recoil reduction are very subjective. I try to stay away from % claims. I know of a couple of smith's that claim of 80% reduction and it is BS plain and simple from the samples I have seen. Here is what I tell most people, my break will keep the rifle level and reduce recoil. How much reduction depends on case volume / bullet weight and several other things. If people really want a % claim I say at least 1/2. They are loud no 2 ways about that, but no one truly makes a "quiet brake". I do not and won't claim mine to be the best, I only tell of what my customers report to me about reduction. I have ways of testing breaks but have found a couple of things to sway those numbers. For instance, if a break keeps the rifle level during recoil most people perceive less recoil than a break that generates the same ft/lbs of recoil but does not kepp the muzzle level. The best thing I can do here is the let some of the customers on this board chime in with their opinions of how DE breaks work or compare to others.

I am far from a Gunsmith by any means, but I can say that Shawn's brake it the best at recoil reduction and the quietest brake (if there is such a thing) that I have in my safe or have had the chance to shoot. The DE brake on my 338 Edge reduces recoil enough to have allowed me to see the bullet impact my target through my scope several times at many different ranges if I do my part with the rifle and get a solid shooting position. I think that is pretty good considering the caliber of the rifle. I have used a few different brake designs and the baffle system seems to be the most effective verses the multiport types at reducing recoil and volume. Again any brake you use will increase the volume of your rifle vs a gun without a brake, at least that has been my experience.

I would not hesitate to recommend one of Shawn's brakes to anyone and feel confident that they will be happy with the results.

Just my 2 cents hope it helps out.

Mike

The best ones are no more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif the man that designed and made the one I'm talking about was R.L.Matthews near Dalton,Ga.R.L. passed away several months back while quail hunting.R.L.'s brake looked like it was the original barrel, perfect taper and very effecient I have yet to see one on this board that equalled them cosmetically...

Slim line brakes that match the conture look very nice. However they are not nearly as effective on smaller profile barrels as a baffel design that is larger than the barrel. On large conture barrels say .950" at muzzle I have got the blank longer and machined my design into the barrel they do look nice that way.

David Tubb's uses and adjustable one. If You don't know who David is go to Superior shooting systems.com I use the Que Industries from brownells it's so good that browning arm's bought the rights to it. If You would like to see how it works go to browning's web site and look at the boss system video

No disrespect intended to Mr. Tubb, but his stuff does not impress me at all. No doubt the man can shoot! But I have tried a few of his, well products and a DVD and for me, they sucked. Just my two cents.

Can't argue about the small barrels, I use only heavy taper barrels at least #5. I have shot a 7mag with a Matthews brake that had very little felt recoil it was on a factory Remington barrel.But I feel sure the brakes that look like they belong on a tank are more effecient... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not trying to pimp my breaks but if you want the best recoil reduction get a baffle designed brake. If it has holes like 20-30 small ones all the way around it won't reduce recoil nearly as much as a baffle design + correctly engineered baffle breaks keep the rifle level under recoil. If you just like the looks of the slim line multi hole breaks that is a different issue. I am about performance. I have been building and designing breaks for close to 10 years. My opinions are just that opinions, but they are developed from the input of customers and the opinions of many end users. What ever one you go with be sure you buy it for what you want it to do.

Hello Shawn,

I'm with you, beauty is as beauty does, period. So how does the JP brake compare recoil reduction wise with other baffled brakes you have experience with? The large area for the gasses to push against looks like it would work very well actually counteracting the recoil. Anybody ever actually measure them side by side?

Thanks, Brad

I have used Shawn Carlock's, Kirby Allen's, and Darrell Holland's (Quick Discharge), and they all work real well.
I have not used Kirby's PK brake yet, but I have used Holland's new Radial brake and it is awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.