Best Muzzle Brake??

dlebeck

Well as always, there is way too much opinion and little fact that I can find regarding muzzle brakes. I know they work, I have two 300win mags with brakes. They make shooting these magnum rifles enjoyable for me. Now I am in the process of rebarreling and want to install a new brake, if I can decide on which brake to install. Of course, lots of guys like the Badger Ordance, the Holland, the Vais and the Answer System brakes. Has anyone done an actual comparision? This is for a hunting rifle, one is a heavy barrel shot mostly from a bench or prone, the other is my carry gun, both are 300mags. Thanks for your imput.

Publisher's Note:
This is the one I use for my personal rifles.
The Muscle Brake. Watch the video in action.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the next couple of months I will be getting a XP-100 in 6.5-28 and I have both a Vais and the Holland QD set-up to fit the barrel.
I have had several Vais's in the past and they were my favorite until I used the QD.
This will be the first time to actually compare the two on the same gun.

Here is one objective data comparison.
My wife has a Win M70 7wsm which weighs 9 pounds and has an Ops Inc brake. There is literally almost no recoil. Just a gentle push. I have a heavy 7wsm built by Chris Matthews which all geared up is right at 15 pounds and has a Badger Ordinance brake. It has light recoil, but still more than my wife's with the Ops Inc. Between the two, the Ops Inc is noticeably more effective.

GO with the Defensive Edge or Holland. Best I have used so far that are still pleasing to the eye. I use mainly DE brakes now with the ballance being Hollands for my personal rifles and customer rifles.

Kirby Allen(50)

The Great Mr. Allen has spoken. Just kidding, never thought my post would get a response from you; that means alot to me. I have never hear/seen the Ops brake or the DE brake. I will be checking them out. Since I have you attention, may I ask one more question:

My Savage is going to Sharp Shooters Supply - good choice/bad choice --- why?

The vais is the quietest and the accubrake most efficient, from what I have read.

Is this the holland?
brake3.jpg

I think it looks hideous!

Now the accubrake is much nice looking in my opinion.

accubrake.gif

I'm not trying to pimp my breaks but if you want the best recoil reduction get a baffle designed brake. If it has holes like 20-30 small ones all the way around it won't reduce recoil nearly as much as a baffle design + correctly engineered baffle breaks keep the rifle level under recoil. If you just like the looks of the slim line multi hole breaks that is a different issue. I am about performance. I have been building and designing breaks for close to 10 years. My opinions are just that opinions, but they are developed from the input of customers and the opinions of many end users. What ever one you go with be sure you buy it for what you want it to do.

Hey Shawn , Have you ever used an OPS inc brake? they look prett simple one realy big expansion chamber and baffle.

I agree with the baffle desgine , I'm having one Of 308Nate's brakes put on a 260 hes building me. If he diden't make some then I'd more than likly use yours

yeah shawn,
if a piece of s.s. gets sent to you, will you make one for my barrel ? it going to be .860 at the muzzle, can it be made to be the same diameter, or will it be a bulging looking brake at that diameter ??
let us know please..

thanks

LL,

I sell them just as a brake blank, they need to be indexed, reamer thru hole, and a taper to the barrel diameter to install. If you need prices drop me a line.

My .875" brakes can be turned down that far, they are SS and I have them in stock. How is that for quick. They are also made from 416 so they will match the color of the barrel really well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.