Muzzle brake test

308 nate

I have had a lot of people ask me "how much recoil do your brakes reduce?" , well, this is not an easy question to answer as it will vary by the particular chamberings and weight of the rifle.

so I had a little fun today...was testing a new "V" brake 1" four port with 10 degree upward angled V ports. I was impressed. Below are three video clips of my .338-.300 ultra rogue. launching 300 grainers at 2920.
The first clip has my X-treme V port brake. the second has my new angled design brake and the third is with no brake.

Enjoy,
308Nate

Last edited:
Nate, that is quite impressive. That upward "V" brake would be even more noticeably helpful on a handgun.

I love the way our new software plugin enables automatic embedding of the video clips. This is the first time I've seen Photobucket clips shown. It works with about 15 different hosting sites.

But...now I screwed it up and only 2 of the 3 are functioning as embedded. I don't know why.

Last edited:
That is very impressive. WhenI got the rifle back that belongs to "eddybo" (factory MK-V weatherby in 300Wby mag) and took it out to test fire it I was amazed how little recoil it had , several guy a little bit down the firing line snapped to attention at the blast and wondered over to ask what it was at the second shot when I just held the rifle in the palm of my left hand rested it against my shoulder and reached inand tripped the trigger everybody was baffeled(no pun intened) at the lack of recoil. I ended up letting several guys shoot it and handing out all the cards I had of yours.

Your shop looks great , I'll have that packaged up and mailed out this week , had to find a box worthy of the material inside

Can't wait to get my brake from you, once I get my 7mm barrel, I think I will go with your new design when it becomes available.

Nate, great stuff and very interesting to watch video's as they are about as close as you can get to being there. thanks again Len. it's very obvious your brake works very well.

it would be great if someone would test all the different styles of brakes with something that would measure the exact amount of recoil reduction. i was at the Harrisburg sports show yesterday and having a discussion about this very topic. a well known smith guaranteed me a Vias brake would reduce more recoil than any other style of brake. i'm of the opinion, as i think most on here are, that a baffle style is more efficient because of the forward push.not trying to start the great brake debate, just hoping we could get some real numbers and end the speculation.

10 years ago I bought a brake from Answer Products. Their website isn't working now, don't know if they are out of business.

Anyway, they said theirs reduced recoil the most. They offered a video tape of their tests of several well known brakes. They built a sled to attach rifles to. Then they measured. I think it was how many inches of travel resulted from the firing with different brakes.

Sweet vids Nate, thanks for sharing.

My analysis --

To my eye anyway, the Xtreme seems to have slightly more recoil reduction, however the angled port brake seemed to reduce more muzzle flip.

Any chance of a hybrid of the two concepts? Basically an Xtreme with the ports angled like the second brake?

Wow

These are impressive videos. Glad your site now supports these Len.

I've never shot a braked rifle before. But I've got two on order and having seen these videos, I'm really glad I decided to go with the brakes.

Nate... Isn't that hard on the ears to be off to the side when you touch off those rounds? Hope you had more than that rabbit fur hat covering your ears :D Thanks for the videos and I can't think of a better way to market a muzzle brake to those who haven't used them before.

Len,
No probelm. I sent you an e-mail with the three links. If they don't work let me know.

Yes, I agree on the handgun. I'm in the process of building myself a 6.5 WSM
on an XP100R. but it is on hold as I've been doing a whole bunch of upgardes to make my shop more efficient.

308nate
P.S thanks again for the new software. I just thought I would try it and it worked! I very much appreciate all the upgrades.

Nate, that is quite impressive. That upward "V" brake would be even more noticeably helpful on a handgun.

I love the way our new software plugin enables automatic embedding of the video clips. This is the first time I've seen Photobucket clips shown. It works with about 15 different hosting sites.

But...now I screwed it up and only 2 of the 3 are functioning as embedded. I don't know why.

James,
Glad you enjoyed the pix of my shop and I'm looking forward to getting that pkg., but no pressure whenever you get to it.
Cheers,
Nate

That is very impressive. WhenI got the rifle back that belongs to "eddybo" (factory MK-V weatherby in 300Wby mag) and took it out to test fire it I was amazed how little recoil it had , several guy a little bit down the firing line snapped to attention at the blast and wondered over to ask what it was at the second shot when I just held the rifle in the palm of my left hand rested it against my shoulder and reached inand tripped the trigger everybody was baffeled(no pun intened) at the lack of recoil. I ended up letting several guys shoot it and handing out all the cards I had of yours.

Your shop looks great , I'll have that packaged up and mailed out this week , had to find a box worthy of the material inside

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.