Best Muzzle Brake??

i am too looking for a muzzle break for my 300 win mag. its a savage and a hunting rifle. i have no idea which ones are good and which are bad. i am looking for one that still looks good and something to kill the recoil. i am totally lost on what to get and need some ideas. thanks

i am too looking for a muzzle break for my 300 win mag. its a savage and a hunting rifle. i have no idea which ones are good and which are bad. i am looking for one that still looks good and something to kill the recoil. i am totally lost on what to get and need some ideas. thanks

I would recommend Holland's new Radial brake or Kirby's Pain Killer.

Dick,
Thanks for the response.
I know Kirby's works that good.
I saw the video clip when you first did it.
I was curious if you had done a comparison with Darrell's new one on your rifle.

I too have a "baby" pain killer on my 7mmRM. I know, I know, a 7mm RM doesn't really need a brake, but I was suffering from "brake" envy with all the discussions on here about them, so I had Kirby install one on the 7mm he tweaked for me. The difference is night and day. It is more like shooting a swift but what recoil there is , is straight back so it is really easy to spot your shots/animal reactions. Like ss7mm, I need look no farther.

i was looking at the que brake from brownells just a bit ago and it looks good. basically an aftermarket BOSS system. does anyone know how well these work? i am looking for a brake that looks like a BOSS but i dont know really anything out there

First off let me say hello and that im new to this forum. In my personal experance I like the hollad brake for two ressones. The first is there are no holes on the bottom with keeps dirt from blowing up if you ever shoot prone. The second is that it just works :cool:

You guys have a great site here keep up all the good work

Hello Shawn,

I'm with you, beauty is as beauty does, period. So how does the JP brake compare recoil reduction wise with other baffled brakes you have experience with? The large area for the gasses to push against looks like it would work very well actually counteracting the recoil. Anybody ever actually measure them side by side?

Thanks, Brad

I've got the JP brake on my 338 UM and a buddy of mine has the Badger Ordinance brake on his 338-300 UM. My JP brake reduces recoil a fair amount more this his brake. Everyone who has shot my rifle comments on how little recoil it has. I've not tried many other muzzle brakes but the JP is by far the most effective brake I've used.

It does look like a tank though. I get a lot of curious looks during hunting season.

1001091me4.jpg

I have 2 different .257 Wby rifles, one a Mark V lightweight and the other one is a Vanguard. I had Kirby put a small PK on the Mark V and when shooting both guns from the bench, the difference between the two is amazing. Both guns are outfitted the same, with the exception of the barrel length - the Vanguard is 2" shorter, and weighs 1 1/2# more.

The Vanguard shoots an 110g Accubond @ 3400 fps

The MarkV shoots a 130g Wildcat @ 3250 fps.

Those were the two velocities that were the most accurate in each rifle for that bullet. Both guns used H-1000 powder, the MarkV needed 1.5g more powder than the Vanguard.

The MarkV has at least half the recoil, but the thing that I noticed the most is that there is NO rifle torque. The Vanguard will lift the left bipod leg a good 2" and the markV just sits there. The MarkV had a type of MB that had holes all around it, and Kirby's beats it hands down. No dirt kicked up as well, where with the other brake I would get a dirt shower every time I pulled the trigger.

I know they are not the premier choice, but I want a brake that does not need to be installed in a precise orientation (swap barrel)

How do the Harrells and Shrewd compare, and is one or the other more labor intensive to install? I am near a smith who puts on the shrewd for 120 total. I can get the Harrells for 30 but am not sure I can find someone who can install it for much less total cost.

I am putting this on a 338RUM or similar, and would like the recoil to be similar to a standard '06, or at least less than the 338win.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.