Muzzle brake test

Glad you enjoyed the videos. I agree it would be nice to test.,but the variables would be huge. For referance the rifle weighs 18 lbs.

Nate

Nate, great stuff and very interesting to watch video's as they are about as close as you can get to being there. thanks again Len. it's very obvious your brake works very well.

it would be great if someone would test all the different styles of brakes with something that would measure the exact amount of recoil reduction. i was at the Harrisburg sports show yesterday and having a discussion about this very topic. a well known smith guaranteed me a Vias brake would reduce more recoil than any other style of brake. i'm of the opinion, as i think most on here are, that a baffle style is more efficient because of the forward push.not trying to start the great brake debate, just hoping we could get some real numbers and end the speculation.

Here are some pix.

2brake1.jpg

2brake.jpg

bottom view of 10 degree angle brake
10brake2.jpg

top view of 10 degree angled brake
10brake3.jpg

10brake1.jpg

nate can you post some pics of your brakes. thanks:)

You are correct, although there is very little differance in recoil reduction between the two brakes,with this weight of rifle, barrel length etc...
Where the X-treme brake will really shine is with shorter barrels or the Chey-tac chamberings. It would be very simple to angle the ports on the X-treme, just a matter of rotating 160 degrees instead of 180 degrees.

308nate
P.S the X-treme does lift more which in turn takes more weight off the bi-pod allowing less friction to move rearward, also In the videos I installed the bipod backwards so the legs would not fold up.

Sweet vids Nate, thanks for sharing.

My analysis --

To my eye anyway, the Xtreme seems to have slightly more recoil reduction, however the angled port brake seemed to reduce more muzzle flip.

Any chance of a hybrid of the two concepts? Basically an Xtreme with the ports angled like the second brake?

surprisingly it's not that bad (my wife says it's because I'm half deaf already) no actually I can hear quite well, I just have selective hearing sometimes..lol

on another note..brakes are not for eveyone, in fact I don't like to have them on my light carry rifles, unless I'm packing a macho magnum, which I currently don't own in a carry rifle.

These are impressive videos. Glad your site now supports these Len.

I've never shot a braked rifle before. But I've got two on order and having seen these videos, I'm really glad I decided to go with the brakes.

Nate... Isn't that hard on the ears to be off to the side when you touch off those rounds? Hope you had more than that rabbit fur hat covering your ears :D Thanks for the videos and I can't think of a better way to market a muzzle brake to those who haven't used them before.

Barrel tapper

What dose the muzzel have to be for a smooth finish with your break. I am wanting a break that dosen't look like a brick on the end!

By the way the V brake I put on the 7RUM sendero...Kicks less than my 308 PSS. It was impressive to say the least!!

Nate makes a great product and is a great guy to deal with!

Willys46

Nate,
great job on the video''s both breaks work awesome and the 3rd video with out a break moves the rifle easily 2 times as much if not more. you sure don't have much snow on the ground wish i could say the same, we have at least 18 inchs of the fluff. haven't shot my toy as yet, this winter weather yuk! congrat''s on all your fine builds, and regards jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.