LoadBase 3.0 with (Spin Drift) PC&PDA Ballistic Program

Understated, deceptively powerful, quick or lengthy, simple or full blown power. You can have it your way with LoadBase and I like that.:)

Pretty much everything gets put in ahead of shooting time just like with Exbal but you can get more out of it and I find it as fast as, or faster than, Exbal but with the power to take your shooting game up a notch or two.

I burn 105 grains of powder because I like the horsepower and results. Same with LoadBase. I like the power and results. I'm just sitting around waiting for 3.0.

Can loadbase import data from chrono's and evaluate it? This would be useful for establishing accurate BC's when using input from chrono readings from two distances.
thanks,
kadiddle

Can loadbase import data from chrono's and evaluate it? This would be useful for establishing accurate BC's when using input from chrono readings from two distances.
thanks,
kadiddle

You can feed it 4 chrono readings at 4 different distances and it will give you a BC + a drag coefficient.. together the two numbers should give you results even better than you would get with a 'custom' BC along, because it frees you from the shackles of the G1 drag function :)

I've done MV, 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards and gotten good results. Shooting through the chrono at 200 wasn't scary like I feared it would be. Having a gun that shoots little tiny groups takes all the excitement out of it :)

-Matt

Matt,
Thanks for the reply, it doesn't appear to have an import feature but it does do the necessary calcs.

I was just looking at their website and found this in the FAQ under the "License Key Policy" section:

"If you have purchased a product from Patagonia Ballistics® and you are upgrading to new hardware we can generate a new key for you. This practice is a courtesy to our customers and it's done free of charge within the first 2 (two) months since the date of purchase. After that period, a new license must be purchased."

I realize that they need to protect their intellectual property from being used by people that didn't pay for it, but frankly that is their problem. The protection schemes that they are using are effectively making it OUR (meaning the customer) problem.
I can put up with having to request another key when I move to a new machine, but I plan to put the software on an aging laptop that will likely be replaced in the next year or so. According to the quote above I would have purchase another license. NO THANKS! Everyone considering this software needs to be aware of this totally unreasonable policy. I also find it unreasonable to not be able to load it on both my laptop and my desktop. Wouldn't it be easy enough to verify the keys from one IP address? When a laptop and a desktop are connected to the internet from one router they will both show the same IP address. Seems reasonable to me. The software would only be used by one person in this scenario and I think that's what most software writers are concerned with.
Well, sorry for the rant, but I'm a bit turned off with Patagonia software right now. I have no intention of buying software that will require me to buy a second license when my laptop dies or gets replaced.
Kadiddle

Maybe you should have sent Gus and email before you went off on your rant. Something tells me you would change your mind.

The rant was not meant to disparage Gus in a personal manner (though I admit it was a rant, something I rarely ever do). I have no doubt that he is a fine gentleman. He is obviously a brilliant programmer and has an intricate understanding of ballistics. His program looks to be wonderful and I think it would work great for what I want. From the sounds of it he also gives good customer support. But it is Gus who put that statement about the key policy on his website so I take him at his word.

Normally, I would have just made my observation and kept my comments to myself and moved on to find something else, never mentioning my objections to the members here or to Gus. I'm not sure what happened but perhaps this was just the proverbial straw that broke the camels back today and it set me off. I apologize for the "ranting" nature of the post. I mean that sincerely.

I suspect there are many others like me that would see the problem here and not the buy the program because of the policy and also not say a word about it. So I think I have performed a public service here :rolleyes:

I still plan to keep an eye on this thread and I might even buy the program if he would eliminate that 2 month key policy. But it is his job to make his program appealing to buy in as many ways as possible, it's not my job as a customer to wade through his issues and beg him to change his written policies.
best regards,
kadiddle

I'm not sure what happened but perhaps this was just the proverbial straw that broke the camels back today and it set me off.

Understandable......You won't be disappointed with the LB or its customer service.

BTW, I've never read any user agreement that gave me the "warm fuzzies".

Most of the questions you have regarding the user agreement have been answered in another thread.....one that I'm looking for. At least I think it was here.......or maybe its in my PM's:D:D.

(This License Agreement comes with LoadBase for table top PC)

14. OPERATING LICENSE:

The software is licensed on a per copy per device basis, thus requiring a license for each device that executes the code. However, a single license can be reassigned from one device to another device provided the reassignment is made either (a) permanently away from the one device or (b) temporarily to accommodate the use of the license by a loaned device, while a permanent device is out of service.

Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the "licensed device." A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

You have the non-exclusive right to use any enclosed program only by a single person, on a single computer at a time. You may not loan, rent, lease or license this software or any copy. You may physically transfer the program from one device to another, if and only if, the licensed device ceases to operate normally, provided that the program is used only by the licensee who purchase the right, on a single computer at a time. In group projects where multiple persons will use the program, you must purchase an individual license for each member of the group.

Use over a "local area network" (within the same locale) is permitted provided that the program is used only by a single person, on a single computer at a time. Use over a "wide area network" (outside the same locale) is strictly prohibited under any and all circumstances. Violations will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law. This license is effective until terminated.

You may terminate it by destroying the program, the documentation and copies thereof. This license will also terminate if you fail to comply with any terms or conditions of this agreement. You agree upon such termination to destroy all copies of the program and of the documentation, or return them to PATAGONIA BALLISTICS® for disposal. Other rights and restrictions: All other rights and restrictions not specifically granted in this license are reserved by PATAGONIA BALLISTICS®.
I think the two months thing refers to the mobile device program.

Last edited:
I agree that the policy as written is almost certainly counterproductive in terms of their bottom line. The biggest sticking point is definitely the upgrade issue, and I think PB would be well served to include an "official" way for folks to upgrade when they upgrade/have to replace their hardware. If they need repeat purchases to stay afloat financially, I think they'd be better off charging for new versions (for major feature jumps such as LB2 -> LB3) than trying to charge people if they want to move their existing purchase to a new system. Nothing rubs people the wrong way quite like telling them what they can't do with something that they purchased (especially when it is something completely reasonable and legit).

I'd like to mention, however, that Gus did accommodate me when I emailed him and explained a situation I had, even though it was against the written policy.

Thanks for posting that Eaglet... that actually sounds less restrictive than I remember it... it may have been loosened up a bit at some point.

I purchased LB 2.0 based on user comments posted by members here on LRH. I didn't really read the user agreement until after I purchased it. It raised a few concerns initially, but since then I've continued to read posts from others that Patagonia has been good to deal with on these issues. I'm glad I purchased the software and based on other's posts here on LRH, don't anticipate unreasonable problems should my PPC or desktop PC quit working, or should I replace a computer for any reason. In my own experience, Patagonia has always responded quickly to my e-mail communications, so the company support has been very good so far.

The software itself is very impressive.

Last edited:
I purchased LB 2.0 based on user comments posted by members here on LRH. I didn't really read the user agreement until after I purchased it. It raised a few concerns initially, but since then I've continued read posts from others that Patagonia has been good to deal with on these issues. I'm glad I purchased the software and based on other's post here on LRH, don't anticipate unreasonable problems should my PPC or desktop PC quit working, or should I replace a computer for any reason. In my own experience, Patagonia has always responded quickly to my e-mail communications, so the company support has been very good so far.

The software itself if very impressive.

+1 I have had all kinds of problems with the PC and my PDA. I have reformated my PC's hard drive like three times or so, LoadBase would not install afterwards and Patagonia Ballistic has not let me down. Moving from this computer to new one will not be a problem. So... The straw breaking the cammel's back is NOT applicable here, not even close!!!

You can feed it 4 chrono readings at 4 different distances and it will give you a BC + a drag coefficient.. together the two numbers should give you results even better than you would get with a 'custom' BC along, because it frees you from the shackles of the G1 drag function :)

I've done MV, 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards and gotten good results. Shooting through the chrono at 200 wasn't scary like I feared it would be. Having a gun that shoots little tiny groups takes all the excitement out of it :)

-Matt

Good answer! Also LoadBase did have a way to enter 2 differenct velocities and a distance to calculate a BC, but now, it just got BETTER. Giving you options for the conditions and whether you're using G1, or... see the picture below. This is found, of course, in the Analyzer Module

CORRECTION... CORRECTION... I had posted the wrong pictures!

3179ijs.jpg

Onthe left one you enter all the pertinent info. and on the right you get
the results. Very Cool!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.