Spin Drift

bwheels

How do I figure out spin drift? I am new to long range shooting (over 300 meters - former army - shot 5.56 at 300M) and looking to learn more about it. I know that it is involved in longer shots but how exactly? how do i calculate it? where can i do more reading about it?

That thread has a lot of good info. Clearly you have to account for it to do any sort of precision shooting. The question is what do you have to help you make LR shots? Do you use a ballistics computer, a range card, or kentucky windage?

It seems most of use some sort of a ap in a iphone or ipod etc. Spin Drift math is done based on BC, velocity, and twist for a given TOF which distance to most people. It is really Time Of Flight though because the less time in the air the less drift. For example shooting at 1000 ft vs 10000 ft.

If you use a chart/range card, use an online program to get the info and incorporate into the card. You can also do as suggested and zero to the left and discount scope dope to the desired range. I can do a zero offset in my shooter program that allows for spin drift to be turned off and for me to not have to dope my scope for it. In this case I will zero at lets say 200 and .5 " Left of center. If I do this SD @ 1000 is now .2 L instead of .5. So 2" vs 5".

I am unsure what method is best. I sort of lean toward .5" L of center zero and not worrying about the 2" of drift. I have wind to worry about more so than drift.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.