LoadBase 3.0 with (Spin Drift) PC&PDA Ballistic Program

Oh I'll keep it and have it for comparisons and help for anybody with questions, I just don't think I'll do all of the upgrades.

It'll be interesting to see what the other software vendors do now that Gus has raised the bar so high.:)

Just got mine running 3.0 and it looks great, don't know what it all does yet but I'll soon find out. This is some of the best customer service I've ever experienced!!! On top of being a great product!!!
:):):):):)

I have read thru all 13 pages of this post, and have come to the conclusion that I will have to try Loadbase 3.0 for myself.
Thanks to those that have posted their experiences with this company and their product.

I scanned through the User's Manual briefly. Look's like it's been expanded. Lots of stuff in there. I'll have to read up both on the added features in LoadBase3 Mobile, and probably solidify my understanding of ballistics in general - at the same time.

Last edited:
I have been tinkering with 3.0 this morning and it runs way faster than 2.0 did. The screens pop up much faster. I also noticed the target range value doesn't change when you change fire data and come back into fire solution. This is not 2.0 dressed up but a complete program that has some of the same look and function of 2.0, what a value!!
I ran some rough numbers for my dads BPCR rifle in a 40-65 shooting @ 1000yds. LoadBase 3.0 had 143 MOA up value and 2.8 MOA windage for spin drift. When shooting we are @ 140 up elevation and we have about 3 MOA spin drift, that seems really good to me considering the rainbow tragectory and rough numbers, I really think the spin drift is cooool:cool:

Ok guys help me out here.

Does load base:

save the spin data for future use?

Incorporate spin data in your windage calcs?

Incorporate Coriolis into your drop chart or is it a separate function like Exbal.

save site in conditions? (so re-zeroing all the time isn't necessary)

allow multiple cross-wind zones?

include angle/cosign calcs?

Save the "scope height over bore" info you input?

Allow you to download the file from your PPC and used it on your PC and vice verse?

Are there any special features I'm missing here that it does and others won't?

Last edited:
Ok guys help me out here.

Does load base:

save the spin data for future use? Don't know.

Incorporate spin data in your windage calcs? Yes, the option is available if the spin-drift feature is clicked (turned) on. The software will provide the POA corrections that will combine spin-drift, windage, and Coriolis.

Incorporate Coriolis into your drop chart or is it a separate function like Exbal. I don't have Exbal, but Coriolis can be included in the both windage and drop corrections with LB.

save site in conditions? (so re-zeroing all the time isn't necessary) Yes.

allow multiple cross-wind zones? Yes, up to three zones.

include angle/cosign calcs? Yes to angle for incline or declining barrel angles. No on cosign. The inclination or declination of the barrel must be entered in degrees of angle, to the best of my knowledge.

Save the "scope height over bore" info you input? Yes.

Allow you to download the file from your PPC and used it on your PC and vice verse? No. The tract (what I believe you call a "file") has to be generated on the PPC and PC separately, to my knowledge.

Are there any special features I'm missing here that it does and others won't? LoadBase is the only purchased ballistic software I have used, so I can't compare it to your Exbal.

John, I don't know the answers to all of your questions yet because the spin-drift feature is newly added to the upgraded LoadBase 3.0 Mobile software and I have not yet fully investigated and used some of the new features. Also, I don't own and am not familiar with Exbal. I tried to answer the questions I felt I could answer correctly in your above post. See my underlined responses above.

Your last question is a pretty broad - but maybe Eaglet or ss7mm will take a shot at it. It would be easier to identify what LB doesn't do than to state what it does do, because it does most everything I desire. It doesn't save Azimuth (NSE or W direction of shot) or Latitude which are both required for Coriolis drift. I'd like those two inputs to be saved in my tracks (what you call files) rather than having erroneous LB defaut values saved. Then could ID my tracts as Sheep, Brown Bear, or Black Bear and know that my correct Latitude and Azimuth are entered rather than the LB default values. Those are the two items I can think of right now.

I'd be happy to be corrected by others if I've given any incorrect answers.

Does load base:

save the spin data for future use?

What it saves is Stability Factor (SF) calculated in the
Analyzer Module which you use in the Ballistic Module (Data -->Drift) Just make sure in the Ballistic Module you go to Database and click on update.
Next time you start the program that SF value will still be there. If there has been some drastic change in the weather just go to the Analyzer Module, enter the new values, calculate your new SF. If the new SF is different then go to Ballistic Module and enter new value in the corresponding place. (Please Read The Awesome Correction Below!)
WARNING: LoadBase 3.0 does not save your Azimuth and Latitude from the (Data -->Drift) tab. That data is ever changing, you don't want it saved. If you're shooting long ways and you're using the Spin Drift capabilities make sure you check your Azimuth (which is the direction you're shooting) and your Latitude (where you are on the earth's belly)
It may sound complicated but all has been designed so it's right there for you.
Going back to the first page of this thread and reading it slowly would help.
Did I get carried away???
Incorporate spin data in your windage calcs?

LoadBase uses different cooking pans to do it's cooking, (to the best of my understanding) but at the end it gives you everything together on one plate. If you have the Coriolis and Spin Drift check boxes checked, and you're using multiple wind zones just take the final result that LoadBase 3.0 gives you. Don't worry about the cooking pans! Just eat what's on the plate.
This info. is correct when you are working with the (Shoot-->Fire Solution) screen! :D

Incorporate Coriolis into your drop chart or is it a separate function like Exbal.

To my understanding the drop charts found at (Result-->Linear) and (Result-->Angular) are not reflecting the spin drift and coriolis on them; but when you are using the screen at
(Shoot!-->Fire Solution) where you eventually have the ability to turn on or off the check boxes for Spin Drift and Coriolis, the compensating is seen inmediately. This screen would
be the one most of us, if not all of us, would be using in Loadbase when you want the combine results in one number for Elevation and one number for Windage.

save site in conditions? (so re-zeroing all the time isn't necessary)

Si SEÑOR!

allow multiple cross-wind zones?

Definitely!

include angle/cosign calcs?

Come on... Of Course!!!

Save the "scope height over bore" info you input?

Allow you to download the file from your PPC and used it on your PC and vice verse?

NO! Database files are not compatible to my knowledge.

Are there any special features I'm missing here that it does and others won't?

Yes!!! There are 6 modules all together that give you some awesome power.
So far we have mentioned the Analyzer Module, the Ballistics Module; but we have not even touched the Conversions Module, Library Module, and Log Book Module. AWESOME!!!
The ones we have talked about, still have things we have not mentioned.

I hope that helped. Sure is a great program! I have been meaning to write some about the other modules which are very neat and needed indeed. Lord willing I'll make the time to do it!

Last edited:
2q88yva.jpg

I hope I'm giving right info as well. Anyone feel free to correct me if you think
I'm off. Thanks!!!

You boys are alright! I don't care what Roy say about you!

I guess this only leaves me with one more item to compare this with FFS. So far everything is the same. FFS does not have the additional modules in the software a least that I saw. It does put everything on one plate for you as well though.

In FFS there is an item they call "DK" best I can figure is it's their method for confirming BC. I would consider it similar to the "trajectory validation" in Exbal (except Exbal changes your MV when you do this and does nothing for correcting BC for windage by using this function). However in FFS you must shoot a group at a distance where your bullet speed is 1200-1400 fps. My wimpy 270 doesn't hit that mark till about 1100 yards, let alone a longer reaching cal.

Does LoadBase have some method for validating trajectory?

Does LoadBase have it's own way of calculating spin drift (like by using twist rate and barrel length) or is it to be measured like with exbal?

Correction, CORRECTION!!! This is a cool correction in reference to the
following statement:

Next time you start the program that SF value will still be there. If there has been some drastic change in the weather just go to the Analyzer Module, enter the new values, calculate your new SF. If the new SF is different then go to Ballistic Module and enter new value in the corresponding place.

t8ntoi.jpg
If you look back in the first page of this thread you will see this screen shot of LoadBase 3.0 with the yellow highlight for the "Actual SF". This "yellow value" high lighted by the program means, man this is good, means that you don't have to worry about calculating that number again. LoadBase 3.0 will automatically calculate the new "SF" for the "Field Conditions" making the user worry free of having to recalculate it. This, in my opinion, is so awesome that I was glad to had been wrong. Remember, this is true if you use the highlighted SF value!!!!
Now makes even more sense why the program saves this number. COOL!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Eaglet,

Thanks for correcting me where I was wrong. You're educating me also!

John,

I tried the free 30-day trial of FFS while I was investigating ballistic software. I ended up purchasing PB LoadBase and for me, LoadBase is easier and more straightforward than FFS. PB LB offers more flexibility, provides more information, and has a convenient method of allowing the user to compare (play with) different theoretical loads, bullets, velocities, BCs, drifts, etc.

PB LoadBase's Analyzer feature allows for the calculation of the DC (drag coefficient) by chronographing bullet speed at four different distances, which must be at least 100 yds or more apart. The farther apart the better. A G1 BC can also be calculated based on bullet speed chronographed at two separate distances. Obtaining the correct DC for a bullet allows the software to very closely predict POA corrections. When I went through this process with my 300 Win Mag, my POI was right on the money with the predicted POIs. The farthest I chronographed was at 989 yds and I didn't like that one bit. Expected my skyscreens to explode at each and every shot. I should get some armor resistant steel plate to protect my chrono skyscreens at those extended distances.

Now - you don't have to shoot at four distances and obtain velocities and calculate DC for use by the program. That's just a feature available that has the potential to improve the accuracy of the input to enable really accurate output/POA corrections. You can also simply use the G1 BC provided by the bullet manufacturer and tweak the DC (drag coefficient) to match your measured drops and end up with a good fit.

I can't make any comparison to Exbal - never used it.

I'm not on any mission to knock FFS. Just expressing my findings and preferences based on exposure to, and use of, both software. Others may reach a different conclusion.

Now when you complete your research into FFS, we expect to get some feedback. Let us know what you decide and why? What you liked or didn't like?

You boys are alright! I don't care what Roy say about you!

I guess we will have to talk to Roy! gun)

I guess this only leaves me with one more item to compare this with FFS. So far everything is the same.
You'd be surprised how different both programs are. LB3.0 engine is impressive even when the bullet goes subsonic!
FFS does not have the additional modules in the software a least that I saw. It does put everything on one plate for you as well though.
In FFS there is an item they call "DK" best I can figure is it's their method for confirming BC.
Their "DK" is kind of similar to LB's "DC" (Drag Coefficient), but their values are not interchangeable.
I would consider it similar to the "trajectory validation" in Exbal (except Exbal changes your MV when you do this and does nothing for correcting BC for windage by using this function). However in FFS you must shoot a group at a distance where your bullet speed is 1200-1400 fps. My wimpy 270 doesn't hit that mark till about 1100 yards, let alone a longer reaching cal.
A lot of good folks would be offended if truth be said about some methods for calculating drops, BC's etc.

Does LoadBase have some method for validating trajectory?
LB3.0 "DC" is more powerful than most folks realize. You use a chronograph, 4 different distances like (0,100,200,300); four velocities and LB will calculate for you a G1 BC and a DC (Drag Coefficient) that by working together has impressed many folks with its foretelling ability of where that bullet will be at different ranges even, as mentioned before, after the bullet goes subsonic.
LB also incorporates, for quite a while now, a "Zero Finder"; if you know the distance and the bullet impact, LB will tell you the distance for your zero range. Example: you shoot your rifle at 427 yards, and your POI is 6" low, run the program and will tell you something like "True Zero Range" xxx yards.

Does LoadBase have it's own way of calculating spin drift (like by using twist rate and barrel length) or is it to be measured like with exbal?
Look at the second screen shot on page one, the one that asks for bullet length, that's what LB uses to calculate the SF, yellow highlighted number, then it uses that number to calculate the spin drift. That's it!

Again, I'm hoping this helps!

Last edited:
Phorwath,

I was typing while you posted.

You really have guts shooting through your chronograph at those ranges!!! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.