Need some info - Ballistic Programs in PDA's

Ian M

Need some info - Ballistic Programs in PDA\'s

Very simple. To the guys who use a PDA and ballistics program.
1. What does it do for you?
2. What info or capability is used most in the field or at the range?

Appreciate any info, need it SAP (this weekend if possible).
Thanks.

Re: Need some info - Ballistic Programs in PDA\'s

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Gives me all the pertinent updated information to adjust my riflescope for windage and elevation when shooting at long distances. Thanks to its ability to process new data on the spot, whether in the field or at the range. As altitude, temperature, barometric pressure and humidity changes, the bullet flight will change depending on how drastic the other changes are.
If my rifle is zeroed at 2000 ft of elevation with a given set of weather values, and later I'm hunting at 10,000 ft elevation, even though nothing has been moved on the rifle or scope your zero will change, your bullet will fly different, usually flatter, by using my PDA I do not have to re-zero and the program will take all these differences and give me information that I have learned to trust due to it's accurate field tested performance. This information, of course, is dialed into the scope turrets for long range shooting or hunting.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The most used information would be Elevation and Windage adjustments whether in MOA's, Inches or clicks.
The most used capability, in my case and opinion, would be the ability of "EXBAL" ballistic program, <font color="blue">to save your original sight in conditions</font> This allows "Exbal" to tell us where our new zero is and how the bullet will fly when we move from an elevation of 2000 ft to 10,000 feet.
Another highly used capability, again in my opinion, is that if I'm checking my zero and I shoot at a target at 137 yards away and the bullets impact 1.2" high, Exbal would be able to tell you at what distance you are zeroed.

I hope this helps! Just in my humble opinion.

Eaglet,
That is exactly what I am looking for, seems right there with what I am using my PDA for. Appreciate your response, I need all the help I can get when it comes to puters.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Got to do some writing on this topic this weekend, article goes out Monday am.

Ian M,

[ QUOTE ]
Got to do some writing on this topic this weekend, article goes out Monday am

[/ QUOTE ]

Some how I new you were doing some writing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We know you'll do a great job!

One more thought:
Exbal's new edition has a "Point Blank Range Analysis" in which you tell the program the "Target Height" I gave it a 7" thinking of a 7" plate diameter in which the bullet would not go up more than 3.5" neither will drop more than 3.5" so the program tell you at what range you have to zero the rifle to hit this target and most importantly what is the max range you can shoot and still be on target. In our Elk hunt, we zeroed the 300 RUM at 100 yards. Exbal says that if I zero at 310 yards I can shoot from zero to 363 yds and still hit the 7 inch plate. Exbal also says that if I'm zeroed at 100 yards and turn 2.25 MOA's up I would be zeroed at 310 yards. During the hunt, we had the turret set at 2.25 MOA's knowing that if we had to shoot quickly from 0 yards to 363 yards we did not have to mess with the turrets; but, if a shot presented like it did at 470 yards that required 5.25 MOA we would just continue from 2.25 to 5.25 and would be right on at 470 yards. I love to have that capability right in the field. I almost got my self confused, I trust you know what I'm trying to say because you already know this.

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gives me all the pertinent updated information to adjust my riflescope for windage and elevation when shooting at long distances. Thanks to its ability to process new data on the spot, whether in the field or at the range. As altitude, temperature, barometric pressure and humidity changes, the bullet flight will change depending on how drastic the other changes are.
If my rifle is zeroed at 2000 ft of elevation with a given set of weather values, and later I'm hunting at 10,000 ft elevation, even though nothing has been moved on the rifle or scope your zero will change, your bullet will fly different, usually flatter, by using my PDA I do not have to re-zero and the program will take all these differences and give me information that I have learned to trust due to it's accurate field tested performance. This information, of course, is dialed into the scope turrets for long range shooting or hunting.

Quote:

The most used information would be Elevation and Windage adjustments whether in MOA's, Inches or clicks.
The most used capability, in my case and opinion, would be the ability of "EXBAL" ballistic program, to save your original sight in conditions This allows "Exbal" to tell us where our new zero is and how the bullet will fly when we move from an elevation of 2000 ft to 10,000 feet.
Another highly used capability, again in my opinion, is that if I'm checking my zero and I shoot at a target at 137 yards away and the bullets impact 1.2" high, Exbal would be able to tell you at what distance you are zeroed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad he answered that before I did. Saved me alot of typing!!!

I do not use a PDA so, so here is a comment from the other side of the fence. My experience with PDAs is soley from watching Jimm use his while we were antelope hunting.

A long range shot at say 1000yds on an animal is a complicated undertaking that has to be accomplished within a short span of time and most of us don't get a lot of real world practice. Using the PDA will force you to to think about such things as wind, temperature and cosine angle before the shot, not after. In my own case I was ready to shoot before I had a conciuous thought about wind. A PDA is a good mental checklist.

Now then, if someone will invent a mirage detector we will have it all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.