I believe I'm going to try a WSM

What would happen if you changed the WSM's shoulder from 35 to 30 or split the difference? Then you would needlessly spend quite a bit of money for a custom reamer and custom dies. IMO you would not gain a thing.

I have three Rugers, two SA and one LA. I had my local gunsmith lengthen all mag boxes. Not as simple as buying Wyatt's mag boxes and having them installed but it can be done. Magazines are now 3.1" with the SA actions and 3.470" with the LA. Naturally useable lengths are a just a bit shorter.
Yeah, I don't mind it being a regular WSM. The 7mm WSM seems like it's going to be the one.

About 3050 with 165's and h4350. It is a 1 in 12" twist for lighter bullets. Most of my opportunities are less than 700 yds. Indiana doesn't offer much for long range deer hunting.

Ive got a 338 wsm. M24 contour barrel. Honestly disappointed with the velocity. 225s at 2750 out of a 27-28" barrel. Smith said it was a slow barrel. I think that is just where the cartridge falls. Between a 338-06 and the 338 win mag. Its a tight fit in there. Expensive dies, very little reliable load data. Its a heavy un ballanced gun. Stupid accurate but overall I would not do it again.

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20190922_183618.jpg
    20190922_183618.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 106
About 3050 with 165's and h4350. It is a 1 in 12" twist for lighter bullets. Most of my opportunities are less than 700 yds. Indiana doesn't offer much for long range deer hunting.

I read an article where they cut a .300 Win Mag down from 24" to 16" in steps. Velocity loss wasn't as bad as youd think.

Would shortening a sporter barrel make it more rigid?

IMHO if you are after max long range performance the WSM maxes out at 30cal. The high BC 338 pulls just get to heavy for the boiler room.

That doesn't mean they are bad. I have an "Indiana" shortened 358 WSM and I love the rifle, it is an absolute hammer within 300 yards and has the velocity of a 35 Whelen AI in a short action. But it's not what I consider a long range rig.

IMHO if you are after max long range performance the WSM maxes out at 30cal. The high BC 338 pulls just get to heavy for the boiler room.

That doesn't mean they are bad. I have an "Indiana" shortened 358 WSM and I love the rifle, it is an absolute hammer within 300 yards and has the velocity of a 35 Whelen AI in a short action. But it's not what I consider a long range rig.
Realistically, if I ever get to shoot it out to 1k, it will only be a couple times per year. My hunting use, 500 yards is about it.

My FIL mentioned today, selling his Rem 783 .308. Might be fun to rebarrel it to something like 7mm-08. X-Caliber has prefit barrels for the 783. Can get a 1:8 5R, 20" in a M24 contour. I believe it would look like a SPS Tactical.

Screenshot_20191221-185002_Samsung Internet.jpg

3,000 fps is obtainable with a 26" 7wsm and 180 bergers. I did it with three powders. I just had some inconsistent expansion as velocity dipped below 2000 fps... they are supposed to expand to 1800 but that hasn't been the case for mine. I settled on 162 amax and it was insane. I then switched to elds.

I have a 40X magnum bolt face action I am going to rebarrel. I will most likely go with another wsm. Maybe another 7wsm to shoot ELR with 195 bergers and 197 smk

3,000 fps is obtainable with a 26" 7wsm and 180 bergers. I did it with three powders. I just had some inconsistent expansion as velocity dipped below 2000 fps... they are supposed to expand to 1800 but that hasn't been the case for mine. I settled on 162 amax and it was insane. I then switched to elds.

I have a 40X magnum bolt face action I am going to rebarrel. I will most likely go with another wsm. Maybe another 7wsm to shoot ELR with 195 bergers and 197 smk

Don't forget the 190 A-Tip

Ive got a 338 wsm. M24 contour barrel. Honestly disappointed with the velocity. 225s at 2750 out of a 27-28" barrel. Smith said it was a slow barrel. I think that is just where the cartridge falls. Between a 338-06 and the 338 win mag. Its a tight fit in there. Expensive dies, very little reliable load data. Its a heavy un ballanced gun. Stupid accurate but overall I would not do it again.
That is a great looking rifle ! Velocity isn't fast, but it sure is accurate!

I've said it a few times, I love the .284's but keep messing with the 30s and 33s instead. I always lusted after a 7 STW but that is a no go on my Ruger. I'm going to look at the 7 WSM again. I believe it is the longest of the WSM's isnt it? From case head to shoulder I mean.

I'm going to look into the Sherman's as well. I think I've already been looking at them, but long hours have my memory fried haha

So you guys think building a WSM on my Long Action Ruger is, a good idea? Seems like it gives me the freedom to throat it however I want, and I'm already used to the action.

Sherman's Max would be a better choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.