I believe I'm going to try a WSM

You threw me with the American Nut reference.

Lots of people mention the Remage, which is basically a savage setup for Remington actions, hence the merger of the names.

I think that's what you're looking for?

Why not have a one of these great sponsors do it up right?

HAHAHAHA that is one of the options I shared in a PM. Could even swap barrels easily.

The guys at VA silent Arsenal are great. Tons of knowledge and willingness to talk and discuss options and thoughts more so then some other companies that I've talked with. They have some seriously cool calibers if you want to hit like a freight train at real world applications distances for the average person

I might build it as a .325. I had one before and liked it. The 220 grain GameKing would be great set out long.

How hard would it be to set up a .338 WSM ? Surely it will out perform a .338 RCM ? Would a .338 WSM with a 30° shoulder be more efficient than the 35° ? Would a 2900 from a 225 be possible with a 28" barrel?

They are almost ballistic equals. The WSM is slightly longer (About 1/16th) and the COAL is .020 thousandths longer. But for some reason the ruger will hold one grain more powder due to it's body dimensions. So they are equal in performance.

Both the 325 WSM and the 338 RCM don't require any special reamers or loads. The 338 WSM is still considered a wildcat and that can be a problem sometimes. The down side to the 325 is bullet selection as mentioned.

Build any one of them and you should be very happy with it's performance.

J E CUSTOM

That's where we come in is to change the "problem". JE You speak of custom work and other wildcats, jump on the 338 WSM train. :). 338 WSM is probably one of the easiest wildcats. During all of our work with Winchester, we begged them to join forces on the 338 WSM and go to SAAMI. Too wrapped up in 350 Legend and said "you guys put in the work, have fun with it. We do not want to spend 2 years getting it ready for SAAMI"

I just looked at Midway and Ammo seek. Sure there is 338 RCM ammo out there but goodness, in a year or so I wonder if we will have more ammo. Midway only had one type of ammo. I also wonder if we alone can put more 338 WSMs in the hands of shooters over 338 RCM. We will see but super excited for the road ahead.

Not sure about the powder capacity of 338 RCM. Wiki says 72gr. 325 says 83gr. When we size 325 WSM to 338 WSM our water capacity is 81gr. Sometimes a shade higher but that is what we put in our code for the ammo machines.

To JE's point, they all perform very similarly. If you are gonna spend money on a die set and components, the prices won't be that much different if any comparing all 3. A go-to thought is, if you are doing all of that work anyway which one is going to be the coolest in your mind.

I don't know about that sir, seems entirely in the realm of possibility ;)
View attachment 168146
@VA SILENT ARSENAL

Maybe it is maybe it isn't. Every rifle is its own entity. My smith told me it was possible. My experience with the cartridge indicates that it is unlikely.

If you are dead set on 2900 with a 225 then a larger cartridge is probably going to more reliably get you there with less pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.