Hammer bullets shoot...I'm a believer!

I gotta say that I like these and have found my newest go to hunting bullet. I haven't put them into any animals yet but Steve said they really perform. So far he has been correct in everything he's said about their internal/external ballistics and accuracy. So I'm just gonna trust his word on terminal performance and go drop the Hammer on something...pun intended.:D

Bravo 4,
I was impressed with the performance of my Sledgehammer 130 on a 290 pig the other day, until I read about the African performance. I got 30" of penetration with exit; even the petals exited. One right beside the bullet hole!

Today I fired almost three dozen shots trying for five shot groups with different primers. Some are acceptable for a heavy barrel. A couple are outstanding for a light fluted barrel.

morning, the results is in the pudding. will check these
bullets. read about there results and performance on
game animals, especially hogs. need power and
performance on hogs. justme gbot tum

Here is a link to a write up that I did from our trip to Africa a month ago. It is about half of the story, I just have not had time to finish the story. There were 37 plains game animals taken with various cartridges and bullets from 25cal to 37cal. The only animals that did not drop within 40y were animals hit with non vital shots. Here is the read: http://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/295/team-hammer-goes-africa

The only thing I will say about the terminal performance is, keep the stability factor at 1.5sg or higher calculated at sea level and you will very happy. We have a lot of guys out there flattening pigs with small for caliber bullets and fantastic results. Over the last several years we have been responsible or with others on hundreds of big game animals taken with Hammers. Terminal performance is very good. Frankly if it were not exceptional we would not market them.

I try to stay out of these threads that I did not start as it is much better when others are giving experience. It is easy for the guy making and selling the product to give glowing reviews.

Steve

Wise man:D we ALL have a tendency to promote our product, especially when we believe in it! The real proof though is in the performance reported by non biased users......rich

Wise man:D we ALL have a tendency to promote our product, especially when we believe in it! The real proof though is in the performance reported by non biased users......rich
No kidding! It is like your child. Every parent loves their child and wants to tell people about them. I always say every parent should be their child's biggest fan. If they are not then something is wrong.

Going on our trip to Africa Brian and I both had that little doubt in our heads as to how well our bullets were going to do on the tough African animals. We had great confidence in our bullets, but the reputation of the animals gives you that little, "I hope this goes well" moment. Especially when we are spending time before the hunting started explaining to some PH's, with healthy skepticism, how we expect out bullets to work terminally. These guys had a long list of bullets that they do not like and a short list of bullets that they do like. At the end of the safari the PH's gave us the endorsement that our bullets were the best bullet they had ever seen. An endorsement that we did not expect.

Steve

Here is a link to a write up that I did from our trip to Africa a month ago. It is about half of the story, I just have not had time to finish the story. There were 37 plains game animals taken with various cartridges and bullets from 25cal to 37cal. The only animals that did not drop within 40y were animals hit with non vital shots. Here is the read: http://hammerbullets.boards.net/thread/295/team-hammer-goes-africa

The only thing I will say about the terminal performance is, keep the stability factor at 1.5sg or higher calculated at sea level and you will very happy. We have a lot of guys out there flattening pigs with small for caliber bullets and fantastic results. Over the last several years we have been responsible or with others on hundreds of big game animals taken with Hammers. Terminal performance is very good. Frankly if it were not exceptional we would not market them.

I try to stay out of these threads that I did not start as it is much better when others are giving experience. It is easy for the guy making and selling the product to give glowing reviews.

Steve
I started to read that thread, but after a couple paragraphs had to stop. About made me sick to my stomach as I had permission both from the wife and my unit to go on this trip. Up until the dates were changed to accommodate another individual to whom a little bird informed me didn't go...oh the horror!
Guess I'll just have to settle for deer and those **** elk that just keep eluding me!:mad:

I started to read that thread, but after a couple paragraphs had to stop. About made me sick to my stomach as I had permission both from the wife and my unit to go on this trip. Up until the dates were changed to accommodate another individual to whom a little bird informed me didn't go...oh the horror!
Guess I'll just have to settle for deer and those **** elk that just keep eluding me!:mad:
Man I am sorry about that! There was a couple of guys that wanted the date changed and it still wound up not working for both. We think we are going to try and make another trip in 2 years. Most definitely will set up another group of Hammer shooters.

You should finish reading it. Took me most of s day to write it!

Steve

Ha ha ha, no worries Steve I read it.
Probably for the best I didn't go. After my first trip to Colorado elk hunting several years back I was hooked and now try to go every year. Now deer hunting is just a poor substitute and something I do to fill the time till I can spend another week or two out west. I can't imagine how I would be obsessing over going back on a hunt like that Africa trip. Probably saved my marriage!:D

Unless I was imagining things, Steve told me to seat them and have at it. So far he has been right, seating depth hasn't mattered in the four rifles I have tried them in. Didn't effect group size or change point of impact (at 100). At 100 yards the 30-06 I just tried them in, the 5 shots I fired to find the powder charge
I wanted to use printed 3/4". That was 53-58 grains of
RL-17.

Sometimes seating depth does matter. I shoot Hammer bullets in 5 different calibers. So far, only my 300 WSM needed a seating depth adjustment to get the group to snug up (it was only 0.005"). I shoot over a Magnetto Speed to find a velocity flat spot (node) so I know it will be very consistent. Then I load up in the middle of that velocity node and shoot groups and check velocity ES, and tweak as necessary. It's usually a pretty quick process

Sometimes seating depth does matter. I shoot Hammer bullets in 5 different calibers. So far, only my 300 WSM needed a seating depth adjustment to get the group to snug up (it was only 0.005"). I shoot over a Magnetto Speed to find a velocity flat spot (node) so I know it will be very consistent. Then I load up in the middle of that velocity node and shoot groups and check velocity ES, and tweak as necessary. It's usually a pretty quick process
If I remember correctly you started using Hammer Bullets when you had a rifle that would not work up a load no matter what you tried? There have been many of our customers that were 100's of rounds down range only to be frustrated, and then out of desperation go ahead and make the plunge and try our bullets. Then find out there is an easier way. I have been saying it for a few years now here. There simply is not an easier bullet to load develop than ours. I have truly gotten lazy in load development. All I do now is make sure the cartridge feeds from the mag and it is not touching the lands. I like to seat as long as I can and fall in these perimeters. I no longer take the time to see how far off the lands I am. I also load with a magspeed. I load up generally one grain one shot at a time. I watch for accuracy on the target and consistent vel increases with each shot. If either of these don't look good I don't try to force it, I just change powder. Once vel is found without pressure I will load a few to get a good average for vel and make sure es/sd is good then zero the rifle and work on long range drops. I am almost always done in less than 16 shots. My expectation for accuracy from any rifle is sub moa and have yet to have a rifle that won't get there. There have been a few that had mechanical issues that I don't count.

I am glad this thread started. It is so much better when guys, other than the one selling the product, give their experience. Thanks to all of you.

Steve

I spoke on the phone to Steve yesterday for about 40min about him doing a load development for my new rifle....what a fantastic guy!

I'm really looking forward to it and I'll let you all know how it works out:)

You sending rifle in?
I'm very interested in load work for my 6.5x284

You sending rifle in?
I'm very interested in load work for my 6.5x284

If you're using the 124 Hunter, your 6.5-284 Norma will most likely do the best with H4831. I tried a few powders first, but H4831 gave me the best accuracy and velocity without any pressure. I could push it over 3200 fps, but found a really nice velocity node at 3155 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.