I believe I'm going to try a WSM

What's required to get a magnum bolt face on a standard bolt face Ruger American?

Added- what is your bolt face on your Mark II?
The American I'm not sure about. Mine is a .300 Win Mag already. The .534" head on the WSM case, will feed into the CRF the way it is.

The American I'm not sure about. Mine is a .300 Win Mag already. The .534" head on the WSM case, will feed into the CRF the way it is.

You threw me with the American Nut reference.

Lots of people mention the Remage, which is basically a savage setup for Remington actions, hence the merger of the names.

I think that's what you're looking for?

Why not have a one of these great sponsors do it up right?

You threw me with the American Nut reference.

Lots of people mention the Remage, which is basically a savage setup for Remington actions, hence the merger of the names.

I think that's what you're looking for?

Why not have a one of these great sponsors do it up right?
I'm just making sure I've done all the research I can. So when I pull the trigger (pun intended) on this project ,I will have zero regrets or doubts. That's why I keep making posts. This forum is an incredible source of knowledge, suggestions, corrections and experience.

I'm just making sure I've done all the research I can. So when I pull the trigger (pun intended) on this project ,I will have zero regrets or doubts. That's why I keep making posts. This forum is an incredible source of knowledge, suggestions, corrections and experience.

Everything I've found points to the SAUM being the better case between the WSM & the SAUM.

• "More Efficient"
• Better Brass manufacturers
• Case length- almost 0.085" shorter case with the SAUM. Better suited for extending the bullets longer within the lengths of magazines.

Seems the SS or a SAUM will be my .30 caliber fatty as I am going with a true Short Action

Everything I've found points to the SAUM being the better case between the WSM & the SAUM.

• "More Efficient"
• Better Brass manufacturers
• Case length- almost 0.085" shorter case with the SAUM. Better suited for extending the bullets longer within the lengths of magazines.

Seems the SS or a SAUM will be my .30 caliber fatty as I am going with a true Short Action

I've got 162 elds loaded at 2.925" on a sako action. Fits in the box just fine, feeds like a sako, phenomenal rig. Referencing to efficiency the two are nearly identical. You get more out of the WSM velocity wise because it's got more capacity. A properly throated WSM is in Every way superior to a SAUM

I've got 162 elds loaded at 2.925" on a sako action. Fits in the box just fine, feeds like a sako, phenomenal rig. Referencing to efficiency the two are nearly identical. You get more out of the WSM velocity wise because it's got more capacity. A properly throated WSM is in Every way superior to a SAUM
I still have to wonder why Ruger built the RCM's after the WSM and SAUM didn't exactly scorch the counters, leaving the stores. The RCM gives up capacity to its predecessors too.

I think I'm at about 13 different high power rifle calibers and after experience with all of them, I'd say the 300WSM could be perhaps the best all around platform. I think you'll like a 77MKII in that flavor.

So you guys think building a WSM on my Long Action Ruger is a good idea? Seems like it gives me the freedom to throat it however I want, and I'm already used to the action.
My target rifle was originally a 300WSM in a long action. Feeding from the magazine was a no-go; the round flopped-around too much. I put a hi-score single-shot follower into the magazine and never had that problem again. Until I figgered-out that I had to space the mouth of the resizing die 0.0025" off the shell holder, I was constantly getting the bolt to close but the firing pin would repeatedly fail to reach the primer. Problem was the shoulder was too far down the case to get a tiny bit of crush fit on a closed bolt. Once I knew about the spacing, I was getting consistent ignitions. I eventually designed a long-action mildcat and had the Krieger barrel replaced with a Hart, and my groups remarkably improved.

My target rifle was originally a 300WSM in a long action. Feeding from the magazine was a no-go; the round flopped-around too much. I put a hi-score single-shot follower into the magazine and never had that problem again. Until I figgered-out that I had to space the mouth of the resizing die 0.0025" off the shell holder, I was constantly getting the bolt to close but the firing pin would repeatedly fail to reach the primer. Problem was the shoulder was too far down the case to get a tiny bit of crush fit on a closed bolt. Once I knew about the spacing, I was getting consistent ignitions. I eventually designed a long-action mildcat and had the Krieger barrel replaced with a Hart, and my groups remarkably improved.
What kind if wildcat? I was curious about cutting a RUM case to the Length of a .338 Win Mag, and run it with a 3.34" COAL. Then I realized, that is called a .300 Norma Magnum.

I might build it as a .325. I had one before and liked it. The 220 grain GameKing would be great set out long.

How hard would it be to set up a .338 WSM ? Surely it will out perform a .338 RCM ? Would a .338 WSM with a 30° shoulder be more efficient than the 35° ? Would a 2900 from a 225 be possible with a 28" barrel?

2900 with a 225 is unlikely even with the extra barrel length.

2900 with a 225 is unlikely even with the extra barrel length.
I don't know about that sir, seems entirely in the realm of possibility ;)
20200110_031557.jpg

@VA SILENT ARSENAL

Good god, yall gentleman and toting around howitzers! (barrels longer than 24") LMAO. My guns with a silencer are that long, so anytime I see barrel length, my brain automatically adds 7 inches or so. So Overkill338, you say 28" comfortably, I am scream holy **** thats 3FT!

I can't walk around the woods with a rifle that long. I am 6'6'' tall. That type of rifle, the muzzle or silencer would be smacking squirrels nest and making all kinds of noise..... :)

2900 FPS in a 28", Not infront of the info I need but basic rule of thumb, 25fps in the 2500-2700 range per inch of barrel. Our 18" data above - in a 28" barrel = 2900-2925 FPS. I am sure we could cook up a custom load and throat a barrel a little differently.

So yea its doable but this is like going from indy car racing to the salt flats of Bonneville. :)

What's required to get a magnum bolt face on a standard bolt face Ruger American?

Added- what is your bolt face on your Mark II?

You would have more money wrapped in time of the gunsmith by the time you could get another action true and laser blueprinted. Just a strong guess

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.