Going down a 22 rabbit hole…

I've played around with the 22lr a bit, I shoot ouf to 400yds for fun. Here is what I have learned...

I have run the ruger rpr, shoots ok, 1moa @ 100yds.
Target 10/22, every bit as good as a ruger RPR or better.
I've assembled a few 10/22s with cheaper components that out shoot the rpr and target 10/22.

I own both the Savsge B22 Precision and a CZ 457 PRECISION. Both shoot amazing. I would say the Savage edges out the CZ though. I love CZ RIFLES and it pains me.

As others have mentioned, ammo is more important in a 22lr than anything else. Also, I have found lots not to be consistent.

For the time being, it'll be solely for fun. Plinking, friendly competition among some guys. Nothing too serious.

Maybe one day if I get less busy could I actually consider real competitions.

Excellent. You know what you want, there are good options to choose from, and you've received perspectives that you can weight as you deem fit.

Sounds like you are enjoying the selection process.

Last edited:
I have been shooting a RPRR for several years in a couple of 50 and 100 yard benchrest matches per month. Won some lost some. Mine is equipped with a Vortex Venom scope and UTG bipod. It likes Lapua Midas X, Lapua Pistol OSP, and SK in the red box. I shoot in a strictly factory class, so no aftermarket scope or barrel. I have worked on my factory trigger some and got it nice and smooth. Very happy with my rifle and setup. Also have to mention that several friends I shoot with have recently bought Tikka's. So far they like them and have done well in our competitions.

Am I correct in my assumptions that the "most" important or "biggest" factor (other than the shooter" is the barrel in regards to accuracy?

A local GS has a CZ 457 with the black synthetic stock for $475 and another has the 457 Pro Varmint for $675. I know the stocks are different, but is the "biggest" difference that thicker barrel?

In theory, will they shoot the same? Or alternatively, in theory again, will the thicker barrel always outshoot the thinner barrel?

It's almost like I want to get two 22LR's now 🤦🏼‍♂️

I received an email from Area 419 about a fully loaded CZ 457.
I will admit that I'm struggling here, I need a reason to Not buy one and I don't have any.

https://www.area419.com/product/cz-457-mtr-fully-loaded/
This exactly what you are looking for. You won't find a more ready system that will shoot out of the gate.

I e mailed area 419 about this and they told me marxh but it still wasn't available. If it's in stock I would jump on this as its close to your price and has most everything upgraded already. Fully loaded from area 419 would be amazing. I would of bought this but went full stupid in custom build. As I dont want anyone in my 22 group to beat me. :)

Best of luck

I just picked up my B14R carbon yesterday. Bought it on GB for $920+tx+shipping, slightly used.
Then the scope purchase of Blackhound Evolve 5-25x56 was $480(sale ends today).
My reasoning for buying the B14R was simple, it is built as a Remington 700 clone and feels like my hunting rifles. The thing feels substantial at 8 pounds where all others feel like kids guns. I wanted something that I can practice with and not burn through expensive ammo. And since it is a 700 clone, the spare trigger that I already have will drop right in. My next step is an NRL22 match next weekend, which may become the real Rabbit hole.
If you have a wife that watches your bank account tell her that it's the same price as buying 300 rounds of 300RUM ammo so your break even point is only a couple weeks of shooting the 22!
You got a great scope for a great price!

Am I correct in my assumptions that the "most" important or "biggest" factor (other than the shooter" is the barrel in regards to accuracy?

A local GS has a CZ 457 with the black synthetic stock for $475 and another has the 457 Pro Varmint for $675. I know the stocks are different, but is the "biggest" difference that thicker barrel?

In theory, will they shoot the same? Or alternatively, in theory again, will the thicker barrel always outshoot the thinner barrel?

Just because a barrel is thicker doesn't mean it's better, it's going to be heavier and help with stability but you aren't getting a lot of heat with 22LR. The rifling and chamber are going to determine the accuracy but you also need a good trigger. If you are wanting to obsess over group sizes on paper it will require a lot of ammo trials usually. Just about any good 22 will favor certain brands and velocity of ammo. All the names have been mentioned in prior posts to look for. The CZ from area 419 would be great I bet. A used Anschutz might be able to be had. I have a B14R myself and really like it. The reason I went with the B14R is because it's a Rem700 platform so it's full size and endless stock and trigger options. Mine has never had a single issue with a few thousand rounds through it. I've had some 10 shot ragged 1/2" hole groups at 50yds with it but I won't say it does that consistently with the ammo I've had so far. I'm only willing to spend so much on match ammo. What is interesting though is mine really likes federal auto match ammo and it's not subsonic. It's my go to for long range plinking usually which is more fun to me than punching paper.

Barrel,smith, shooter,ammo,scope mounting and cleaning routine.
RH and LH 2 of each here,B14r steel and carbon,CZ457's and Savage's(skip the carbons)
Ever wonder why there is so many Voodos and Rimxs for sale? It's not the guns fault...... At first.I'm horse trading for a Voodoo now,feller can't cope with rimfires anymore,it's therpy for me.
CZ and Savage use one lug,B14r has 2 lugs,most only hit on one.Voodoo has 2 and 3.
A no lug Ballard,Shilen,Unertal scoped,rifle resting on stocked, barrel shot the smallest 100m 10 shot group ever at this club,this February at Smithmoor BPCR range in Wyoming.I favor the CZ's...... somedays,seem to burn a lot of tac22 in Savages

MTR indicates a match chamber.

You might want to compare what CZ says about the different models.

My recommendation the CZ 457 get the one that you can do the switch barrel where you can change from a 22 long rifle a 17 HMR or a 22 mag and about 10 minutes it gives you a bunch of different options I believe I paid $650 bucks for mine with both barrels shoots phenomenally great trigger smooth for under thousand bucks to have two different calipers is kind of nice