Good quality pellet for rabbits?

I'm definitely going to get a PCP. I'll need to get a small to medium tank, so I can take it out when I take my rifles out to the desert.

Do removable silencers affect performance at all?
If not, why would you ever want to remove it?

Last edited:
I'm definitely going to get a PCP. I'll need to get a small to medium tank, so I can take it out when I take my rifles out to the desert.

Do removable silencers affect performance at all?
If not why would you ever want to remove it?

The removable suppressor doesn't change much of anything but noise. The Sumatra doesn't come with a silencer and it is loud so I went aftermarket. BUT, it adds about a heavy foot of length to an already heavy gun. The Flex had 2 options of Mod's and you can use without. But why nowadays, buy a PCP with all the variety out there, without a shroud?
Also, there are aftermarket shrouds that are longer than stock for the Mrod which you can add more baffles. (If you have some creative skills, you can make your own from thinwall Al. tubing). I got around that by moving my shroud forward from the breech and added more (5) baffles, it does quiet it down even more. Baffles are about $1.50 each from Crosman.

Something to consider, is that my Hatsan being a bullpup design is short and handy. Great for in and out of vehicles or even just to stick out the back door. It's no lightweight though, about 10 pounds scoped.

If you shoot the PCP (Marauder) outside, it might seem a little loud, but if you can shoot through an open window or door from inside the house, the neighbors will not hear it. I don't have a silencer (suppressor) on mine, and the neighbors have no idea that I am shooting. Again, I think the .22 will be the best compromise between the .177 and the .25. I use Beeman FTS (Field Target Special) Pellets 14.66 grains in .22 cal. They are super accurate, and hit like a hammer.

The PCP guns are 'sexy' and the hot thing. I get that. But a springer will be less expensive. It won't not need to be 'pumped' up 100 to 300 times. It won't need a refill tank. You don't have to worry about the aluminum air tube corroding due to moisture. It's just less maintenance and trouble, all at a lower cost.

Noise-wise, the sound is going to be about the same without a suppressor of some sort. Just stay sub-sonic with a .22 or .25 cal gun. Don't get a .177 going supersonic, or noise WILL be an issue.

I do think the .22 cal is the best choice. The .25 would work great, too, but you can find .22 pellets everywhere and having shot bunnies with .177 and .22 pellet guns, I would never go back to using the .177. The .22 was more 'authoritative' in putting the cottontails down. I'd love to try a .25 on 'em! But for the OPs needs, it'll be louder, a richochet will carry farther, and finding pellets will be trickier (not going to be at Walmart.)

I have an old Webley Vulcan springer (1980s vintage) in .22 cal that puts the smack-down on rabbits and squirrels. It makes a 'crack' sound when fired, but the neighbors only hear it once (rabbit is dead) and they just think I hit something with a hammer or dropped something loud on the ground. Keep a battery powered nail gun (Ryobi makes a nice 18v unit) with a 2X4 board with a nail in it by the back door. If questioned about 'noise', just produce the nail gun and board and say, "sorry...working on a project" to explain the sound.

Honestly, unless the neighbors see me standing there with a 'rifle' in my hand, they think nothing of the small noise the springer .22 makes when dealing with my problem vermin.

I will make this observation though - I cannot scope my 'old' springer. It has destroyed two scopes and the one that survived would scootch along the mount no matter what rings I used or how hard I'd clamp it on there. Newer spring piston air rifles address these now "known" issues with better bases and rings and there are scopes made to survive the unusual recoil a springer produces. Whatever - I've been using the iron sights and doing just fine out to 40 yards for 39 years with them. A scope isn't really needed for suburban 'backyard' distances.

Here is the $150, simple solution to backyard rabbits:
upload_2019-6-22_19-21-12.png

Here's how air rifles compare, noise-wise:
upload_2019-6-22_19-22-21.png

And here is how THAT 'loudness' compares to every day sounds you are already making:
upload_2019-6-22_19-23-24.png

. But a springer will be less expensive. (and less accurate) It won't not need to be 'pumped' up 100 to 300 times (just after every shot, a good pcp has fast follow- up capability though you won't likely need it). It won't need a refill tank (mine doesn't). You don't have to worry about the aluminum air tube corroding due to moisture (I've got nothing for that, anything mechanical needs maintenance? ). It's just less maintenance and trouble, all at a lower cost.

Here is the $150, simple solution to backyard rabbits:

I understand the desire to find some inexpensive solution. Before I bought my Hatsan, I picked up a Gamo Gas Piston gun in 22 caliber. It is absolutely quieter than a true springer. But, it barely manages 3" groups at 40 yards. Some of that is probably technique, but the trigger sucks and recoil makes it almost impossible to spot hits (but mostly misses). The pcp requires no special technique, there is no learning curve, it won't eat scopes. Fill the tank and layeth the smacketh down with spectacular precision.

https://www.airgundepot.com/head-to-head-kral-puncher-breaker-silent-vs-hatsan-bullboss-article.html

The competitor to the Hatsan is actually quieter yet, but loses in power. Both are still significantly quieter than any of the guns in the above chart (the Kral almost unbelievably quiet).

They're not just sexy, they're better. Is a Model T better than a new pickup because it's simpler?

How much to spend to kill a few bunnies?

PCP is fine. Good. Quiet. But there are expenses and downsides to consider. Springers have been around a long time because they work and are relatively simple to own and maintain. Just giving the OP something to consider. A PCP gun isn't a BAD choice, just a more expensive and complicated one.

I bought a diana 34 when they came to be in an Oregon store...firwt critter i killed was a rabbit in a nursery....(still had milk on its lips)....
Anyway....spring piston...177 caliber.....killed many of crows and other birds even a pigeon at 50 yards or so.....but lots of silver grays while floating the river in a driftboats.......177 at 1000fps is plenty for a rabbit at 40 yards in the head....heck..we had beer drinking contest...miss the cap and you can't drink.....you learn to shoot really fast.....dehydration.......yeah that's it.....

Something to consider, is that my Hatsan being a bullpup design is short and handy. Great for in and out of vehicles or even just to stick out the back door. It's no lightweight though, about 10 pounds scoped.
I do like THIS advantage of THIS particular PCP gun. Short and handy is a major plus. My springer is a long gun. Probably easier to quickly stash a short gun should a neighbor pop a head over the fence to see what made the popping noise.

As for those Diana rifles, those were the 'fancy' guns and I wanted one bad, but my 16 year old self couldn't afford that leap. They were supposed to be quite accurate. There were also some springers that had a counter-spring that would go the other way and mitigate the recoil which I thought was cool. I never got to try one though.

How much to spend to kill a few bunnies?

It's personal dang it! :D

I've laid out my reasons. I don't think the price is out of line considering the performance they offer. Or put another way, the cost increase over a good springer is a worthwhile expense considering how much my range has extended and how much higher my first round hit percentage is.

Also, I don't exaggerate when I say my pellet rifle is with me everyday. It rides in the front seat of my truck like someone would their 1911. Pigeons, rabbits, coons, woodchucks; they're everywhere.

I'm sure I'll get a PCP gun at some point. They have their pluses. The tipping point (cost vs. benefit) just hasn't gotten there for me yet. I've been eyeballing those AirForce Texan guns a while now. Tempting...

I think a PCP in .22 cal will do you perfect for your problem. I Have a Daystar Regal XL. Very quiet! Extremely accurate. I shoot Zeeman Match Kodiak pellets in both my PCP and springer and they are very accurate in most air rifles I used them in. Defiantly a PCP for your area. You will heat the pellet hit with more sound than the firing. My .22 PCP has not failed me yet with critters from Ranger Rick on down in size. I shot wonders.

@Frog4aday You're spot on the money about bang/buck. I've been conversing with someone, not on this board, who is extremely knowledgeable about anything air rifle related, and he is recommending a Beeman break barrel. The only 2 concerns I have is that both recent break barrels I've shot shoot 9" groups at 30yds, which is not acceptable. They are also both LOUD. Neither were Beemans, so my experience is not with the gun he is recommending. His point is that the PCPs are more expensive, and more of a hassle for my intended purpose.

@therifleman556 I agree with you as well about loudness, as well as general "shootability" of a PCP. My neighbor gave me his Gamo .22 break to try out. I had to sight it for him, as he didn't know how. It was about 2 feet high, and 3 inches left. It is ridiculously loud. It's almost as loud as a 22. Groups are roughly 10", which is not acceptable. I shot at a rabbit tonight, and missed, and I'm sure the scope was dead center on the head.

So, it's either just get a close quarters rabbit gun, or invest in a PCP that I can take to the range with my .308, and have fun target shooting. Those appear to be my two distilled options.

@Frog4aday What are the downsides of a PCP? Can I get an air dryer, or some other accessory that will extend the life of the rifle?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.