Going down a 22 rabbit hole…

nethero

I have been looking hard into getting a nice bolt action 22 LR.

I have narrowed it down to the "standard" excellent list of Tikka T1X, Bergara BMR, CZ 457, but am also looking at the Ruger Precision 22. I might even consider stretching to a Bergara B-14R if a good price were found.

1) Is the Ruger Precision "worth" it? Is it a real contender?

2) Is a carbon barrel "worth it"? Other than shaving some ounces, what are the real gains? And losses?

3) I want an out of the box accurate gun I can throw a scope on and hit small stuff at a decent distance. Am I missing another diamond in the rough?

4) Lastly, opinions. What would you get? Just going through all of the CZ 457 models has made my head spin…

Sorry if this has been asked 1000X times before.

Thanks!

I just bought a Ruger Precision and it is shooting really good. I can stack them at 50yds with CCI standard velocity ammo. This is at 100yds with a 5mph cross wind. I think I could probably do better with higher end ammo, but having a hard time finding some.
20230501_182752.jpg

While I understand what your trying to do so in my research it would be the CZ 457 MTR. As you can just do a simple barrel swap and get even better performance. I was gonna go this route but I found that the hole goes much much deeper and fell in it .. I put my order in for a full custom build but won't be here till around September. Can't wait

Last edited:
Weight is the only gain with carbon barrels. I tried my silencer on a B14r with a carbon barrel and couldn't get it to shoot well even after lot testing. I've heard the same from other people as well. They use a tension carbon barrel, so a standard carbon barrel might be better. Without anything added to the muzzle they shoot just like the steel barrels.

Of the rifles you listed I'd save up for a B14r or go with the 457. Both are excellent rifles with great aftermarket support. The BMR and T1x are good rifles, but don't have the aftermarket options you have with the others. The RPRR can be hit or miss. Some shoot great, some take a lot of effort to get decent results from.

Regardless of what you go with lot testing ammo is a necessity to get the beat results. I shoot CenterX in my Vudoo. Depending on the lot I can get .7-1.5 MOA 10 shot groups.

I just picked up my B14R carbon yesterday. Bought it on GB for $920+tx+shipping, slightly used.
Then the scope purchase of Blackhound Evolve 5-25x56 was $480(sale ends today).
My reasoning for buying the B14R was simple, it is built as a Remington 700 clone and feels like my hunting rifles. The thing feels substantial at 8 pounds where all others feel like kids guns. I wanted something that I can practice with and not burn through expensive ammo. And since it is a 700 clone, the spare trigger that I already have will drop right in. My next step is an NRL22 match next weekend, which may become the real Rabbit hole.
If you have a wife that watches your bank account tell her that it's the same price as buying 300 rounds of 300RUM ammo so your break even point is only a couple weeks of shooting the 22!

While I understand what your trying to do so in my research it would be the savage 457 MTR. As you can just do a simple barrel swap and get even better performance. I was gonna go this route but I found that the hole goes much much deeper and fell in it .. I put my order in for a full custom build but won't be here till around September. Can't wait
457 MTR is a CZ. What are you trying to suggest?

Of those listed, I would go with the CZ; long history of accuracy. Bergara has lots of hit and miss stories on here and other groups.

And, as with most folks on here, always eager to help you bust your budget; no wondering if it will shoot or not. He might even come down on price a bit, who knows?