Turkey with a .22?

Geezer

It's legal in Virginia, so is there any reason not to go afield with my 10/22T and try for gobblers? Seems like a 40gr solid should put a turkey down pretty well.

Only if you hit it in the head , the small bullets will not kill a turkey fast enough to find it easly. I shoot Turkey with a bow and even using a big expandable broadhead they will run a pretty good ways if you don't get the spine. I shot them with Judo points , rubber blugon points and the broad head works best , the massive bleeding ensures it'll die soon. the Judo point ripped a 3/4" hole strait through and the bird ran almost 200yds before dieing , luckly it ran strait accross a field so their was no tracking it but even with a broke wing and massive internal injury that can go along way realy fast. I've even seen them shot with 80gr bullets out of a 243 and run 70-100yds.
will it kill it , yes , will you have to look for it , more than likely , can it possibley never be found , a good chance

so the best be it either a killing shot to the head or a massive hole to the body. I shoot squirrls with my 22 in the head out 50-60yds so i don't see why a turkey would be any harder but I would use a good high velocity hollow point. even if you shot them in the body the high spped hollow point would be a better choice as the little heavy solid may just zip throug.

In Alabama it's shotgun, bow or iron sighted centerfire pistol only. I got a .223 Encore along with my shotgun for those stubborn ones that sit way out in the middle of a green field. I shoot FMJ's for less damage, always had them drop; I figured a varmit bullet would turn one inside out.

Last edited:
Seems like a 40gr solid should put a turkey down pretty well.

Not likely. I cannot think of a good reason to hunt turkeys with a .22 other than that is what you want to do. Head shots are difficult and would be effective if you can get one to hold his head still long enough.

I've done pretty well with a 22 mag and fed 50 gr hp's, no way shape or form would I try a gobbler with a 22 LR, pound for pound turkeys are as tough or tougher than any animal that walks when it comes to absorbing a bullet.
RR

Thanks for the feedback. While I'd be pretty confident of a head shot out to 50yds if the turkey would stand still, maybe a shotgun would be a better bet after all. Now all I need is a shotgun. Not sure my granddad's Volunteer Arms Co. single shot would be the best idea.

speaking of turkeys being tougher than any animal that walks when it comes to absorbing a bullet, a friend of mine said his dad shot a turkey at least 4 times one day, don't remember the story but he could tell it was the same one because of an odd beard, so yea i'd say they're very tough!

my 338 seems to anchor them!

i saw a picture of a bird that a friend of a friend shot here in Pa. it had a wooden arrow shaft all the way through it's chest and the one side was sticking out through the skin. it was completely healed over and was deffinitely shot at least the year before. yeah, they're TUFF !

I took a 27.3 pounder at 60 yrds with a 20gr 17HMR. I placed the shot at the base of the neck which is alot easier to hit than the head. The bird only made it about 15 feet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.