Good quality pellet for rabbits?

Most hand pumps have replaceable moisture filters. Some higher end ones have a desiccant cartridge. Mine has a simple filter in the charging line. When you understand what moisture can do to them it makes you more mindful of when and where you pump. I don't fill mine on days when it's raining or super humid. If I need to I'll bring it inside where the air is dryer. Sounds like a hassle, but again for me the performance offsets whatever idiosyncrasies they carry. This of course is not an issue if you're getting a tank as well since most scuba shops will be selling you dry air.

<SNIPPED STUFF>
@Frog4aday What are the downsides of a PCP? Can I get an air dryer, or some other accessory that will extend the life of the rifle?
TheRifleMan556 nailed it in his post above. The moisture needs to stay out. There are ways. If you were going to go whole hog and jump both feet into the 'air-rifle' game, then perhaps a PCP is the way to go, especially if you lived somewhere DRY, like the rocky mountains (low, low humidity.)

But if you really just want to nail some of the rabbits eating up your yard, a QUALITY spring-piston airgun will get 'er done with fewer hassles and less money. The air rifle I've had since 1982 was sold as the BEEMAN WEBLEY VULCAN, which I only see shown now as the "Webley Vulcan", but I can say with certainty it is accurate and has lasted all this time with no problems (knock on wood!) Just a drop of airgun oil down the piston tube now and again and it just keeps going and going.

Get a 'name brand' gun (Beeman, Diana, RWS, etc.) and it will shoot and last. I'm not sure how the Spanish guns hold up (Gamo) but others will chime in, I'm sure.

My personal opinion is that putting a SCOPE on a "springer" is a waste of time. An exercise in futility. Just use the open sights. It will be so much simpler and less frustrating in the long run. Springers do weird things to scopes, rings, and mounts. When you talk about a springer shooting a 10" group at thirty yards, something is seriously not right! And I'd bet it was the scope (or mount, or rings, or all of that.) Shoot a quality one with the open sights and it'll surprise you how well they can shoot. With my springer, I couldn't get rings to hold onto the mount. And scopes came apart internally in short order. The one scope that 'lived' would slowly slide it's way down the mount with each shot. Such a pain in the a-s-s, I eventually just gave up and stuck with the open sights which work great for the effective distance of the gun (40 yards or so is my comfort zone on 'big' stuff like squirrels and rabbits.)
-------------------------------
This was a good quote on the 'pros' of springers from this webpage (https://www.topairgun.com/spring-piston-air-rifles):
High powered spring piston air rifles are the best guns for long range adult targets shooting, hunting small game and controlling pests. Spring loaded pellet guns are self contained and always ready to go. All you have to do is cock it setting the spring activated piston, load a pellet, take aim and pull the trigger. With a spring piston air gun, there is no need to carry around an air tank or cartridges that can run out causing your pellets to lose power and accuracy. And you don't have to worry about carrying around extra tanks. Spring loaded pellet rifles are extremely consistent and accurate. The spring piston has the same amount of force with each load so the pellets travel accurately and at the same high powered velocity with every shot.
-----------------
I have absolutely NOTHING against the PCP guns! They are great. But when you have to deal with air tanks, moisture issues, refill tanks, 'pumps', and so forth, they start to be more work. You want to see a rabbit in your yard, grab the gun, load a pellet and shoot it. A springer makes that easy. I had mine sitting by the back door with a pellet already loaded in the chamber. All I had to do was cock the barrel, aim, and shoot. That's it. And then it got put in the corner again. No valves or air tank to deal with. No 'pumping it up' again after it sat for too long. No air to leak out over time.

The 'downers' to springers is they are louder (staple gun, nail gun loud), they 'recoil' a bit, and they don't do well with scopes on them. There's no free lunches. You gotta pick what's best for your needs and accept the cons with the pros.

Thanks for that informative post.
I'm torn between just getting a springer, or investing in a really good quality PCP. I like the idea of shooting out to 100yds with air, and the overall quietness, performance, etc.

But, I could use the money saved when buying a springer towards a new varmint rifle or 300 winmag. So, I'm leaning towards the springer.

I'd really like a scope, as it helps with my vision.
I wouldn't mind putting a $300-$400ish scope, if it was needed to be more durable. Do people mount cheaper rifle scopes on springers? I would think they would be have greater longevity.

TheRifleMan556 nailed it in his post above. The moisture needs to stay out. (Agree 100%) There are ways. If you were going to go whole hog and jump both feet into the 'air-rifle' game, then perhaps a PCP is the way to go, especially if you lived somewhere DRY, like the rocky mountains (low, low humidity.) (Wisconsin isn't dry, but my pump has a moisture filter)

Get a 'name brand' gun (Beeman, Diana, RWS, etc.) and it will shoot and last. I'm not sure how the Spanish guns hold up (Gamo) but others will chime in, I'm sure.
(Please don't buy a Gamo, I've got two and neither is worth a darn)

No valves or air tank to deal with. No 'pumping it up' again after it sat for too long. No air to leak out over time.
(Replace an o ring? Mine doesn't leak, I've left it for weeks fully charged and it's always ready to go)

The 'downers' to springers is they are louder (staple gun, nail gun loud), they 'recoil' a bit, and they don't do well with scopes on them. There's no free lunches. You gotta pick what's best for your needs and accept the cons with the pros.

Your last remark nailed it. PCPs aren't for everyone, but for someone willing to learn them the payoff is huge. As I understand, PCP guns have only started to get popular in the past few years, so lots of shooters are still leery about them. What I will suggest is that if you're going to buy a break barrel, get something with a wood stock and metal barrel (not the goofy plastic shrouded tube like Gamo). You're going to want a little heft to keep that sucker a little more still. Also, buy good mounts and optics. You can research on Midway which scopes are airgun rated. This rating applies to break barrels specifically. A PCP can use whatever scope you want to use.

@Frog4aday makes solid points about what you need to be aware of with a PCP. What I would tell you is just be aware of these points, but don't let them scare you off. (Not suggesting that's what he was trying to do)

Do not mount a cheap scope on a springer. They are notorious for breaking scopes due to the forward and rearward moment of the spring. Do yourself a favor and get a good PCP. Trust us on this one. They are a joy to shoot. Search up any good air rifle store, call them and they will set you up with something that will work for you. Jim

DONT GET A GAMO....especially the whisper from ol' mikies club...garbage....
Rws or Diana....thought they were the same...maybe long time ago...
They are very loud...but if so try a plastic bottle silencer....slip it on and off....easy....
But don't get a GAMO.......

DONT GET A GAMO....especially the whisper from ol' mikies club...garbage....
Rws or Diana....thought they were the same...maybe long time ago...
They are very loud...but if so try a plastic bottle silencer....slip it on and off....easy....
But don't get a GAMO.......

Lol, I've been shooting my neighbor's Gamo. Where do I start? I sighted it in for him. It was 2.5 feet high, and 3" left. After sighting it, I could get 6" groups at 25yds. That's with it firmly secured to a Lead Sled. The next day, scope is off again. But, the worst thing about this is that it is LOUD.
60% of the barrel is shrouded, and yet it sounds like a firecracker going off.

This thing is completely unacceptable. If I had bought it, I would have returned it.

300 is just for the first fill. After that, 100 will do for a recharge. A tank is an option but make sure you're looking at a 4500 psi model. A 3000, depending on size, will fill the gun maybe a dozen times. Maybe that's good enough for you, but when a good tank costs more than what my rifle did it'd better do way more than that. There's a calculator somewhere you can find on Google that will tell you how many fills you can get with x tank at x pressure. The 3000 psi tank fills mine something around a dozen times or so, the 4500 psi version was in the neighborhood of 50-60 times.

Lol, I've been shooting my neighbor's Gamo. Where do I start? I sighted it in for him. It was 2.5 feet high, and 3" left. After sighting it, I could get 6" groups at 25yds. That's with it firmly secured to a Lead Sled. The next day, scope is off again. But, the worst thing about this is that it is LOUD.
60% of the barrel is shrouded, and yet it sounds like a firecracker going off.

This thing is completely unacceptable. If I had bought it, I would have returned it.

A springer can't be accurately shot from a lead sled. You have to hold it, just tight enough to control it (google "artillery hold" for explanation). The triggers on a Gamo are horrible at best. Google "charliedatuna trigger" (not kidding). It is probably the best trigger investment you can make in a Gamo for under $30.
As a previous member stated, forget about a Gamo (garbage). You have to shoot the heavier pellets also. Gamo includes gold colored alloy pellets that are supposed to offer higher velocity. They are faster, but this makes more noise. Shoot only lead pellets, and try some Beeman FTS if you can't find any other pellets that offer the accuracy you're looking for.

edited to add: The trigger is listed on his website as the GRT-III trigger. The price is 29.50 plus 3.50 shipping. If you are unfortunate enough to own a Gamo, my suggestion (and condolences) is to consider this trigger.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of heavier pellets, too. They smack things with that much more authority and keep the velocity of my .22 springer sub-sonic, which helps quiet things.

I really like the PCP guns for their ability to be short (bullpup?), their ability to easily shoot with a scope (don't have the issues of weird, scope destroying recoil of a springer), and their 'quietness'. I just don't care for the 'infrastructure' needed to shoot them. (Pump? Air tank? Air filter to remove water? How long can it sit there, full, and still be usable? Seal issues? Corrosion issues?)

The springer may be 'crude' in comparison, but it can literally just sit there for years, ready to go in an instant with a bending of the barrel and loading of a pellet. And then...it can be put back in the corner for the next time a 'varmint' needs a trip to the pearly gates.

Last edited:
@Laelkhunter - Thanks for the artillery hold tip! That was gold, right there.

So, I'm going to get a springer. I can spend $1k on a good springer and scope, and use the extra money for a shotgun, or varmint rifle.

I have narrowed it to one of three models:

R9/HW95
R11/HW98
HW97K (Blue)

I'm leaning towards the R11, as the heavier front end, adjustable cheek, adjustable butt, all contribute to a more "custom" feel/fit. Yeah, it's a little more than the R9, but it looks much nicer. But, accuracy and ease of shooting are primary, so...

I really like the looks of the 97K blue. Some may think it's uglier than hell, but I think it's so different from the rest, that it's cool. It's a FIXED barrel, which I've not seen a lot of info about. But, even with the shorter barrel, it looks to be very accurate.

Thoughts/input? Hey, even if you think the 97k blue is ugly, let me know your opinion of the "shootiness" (I just made that up) of them.

Thanks for all the input, and I promise I'm getting close to a purchase!
Although, after I get the rifle, scope choice is next. Was looking at a Hawke Airmax, but man that sidewheel just looks like it would be in the way.

I have a Hawke scope on my springer. It is excellent. I think the sidewheel can be removed (it is a parallax adjustment), and it just fits over the knob. I "believe" the knob is still easy to turn with the large wheel removed (don't quote me on that). Not familiar with any of the three you mention, you can go to Pyramyd Air website, and look at their tests and reviews on them. If any of the three come available with a Rekord trigger, that would be sweet. It is a Match type trigger that rivals all others in the airgun world.

I have the Hawke Airmax 3-9 X 40 model # 13119. Mine did not come with the wheel, it has the parallax adjustment on the objective. I just looked on the Hawke website, they have it for $209 and it still does not have the large wheel. Check with whomever you are dealing with and see how much they want for the 13119. You will love the Rekord trigger on which ever rifle you get.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts