Going down a 22 rabbit hole…

I recently purchased a Savage B-22 and the target shows the out-of-box accuracy on 2nd trip to range with it. Using Eley ammo from Bud's, who usually has good stock and price. I expect the rifle, scope, and ammo are much more capable than I am; so won't do me much good to invest more. Just practice time and expect the groups to tighten up.

Attachments

• Sav 22 LR Fact Eley Ammo 50 Yds.jpg
    Sav 22 LR Fact Eley Ammo 50 Yds.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
I can't PM you, need to get your post count up. It's easy, this is a fun place to hang out.

I have a CZ 457 MTR that's I'm thinking of selling. I've added a Timney Trigger, an Area 419 rail and bolt know plus threaded the barrel.

Love the rifle, just don't have time for it with toooo many other irons in the fire.

Last edited:
Two folks in my local NRL22 group started with RPRRs, used them to win, and then moved up to Vudoo/RimX but still have their Rugers, loan them out etc. One has a Shaw barrel, the other is stock and shoots CCI SV beautifully.

Another local expert started with a 457 MTR, stepped up to Vudoo, still has the MTR which is wonderfully accurate.

Can get a replacement chassis for CZ 457 (eg, KRG Bravo), not for RPRR…

Lilja makes aftermarket barrels for both 457 & RPRR.

After getting interested in NRL22 earlier this year and trying a 457 MTR loaner (very nice! If you get a 457 be sure to get an MTR) and trying semi and bolt sporters I already had, I rolled the dice with an RPRR. Beginning to set it up, so far so good (with factory barrel). (Norma Match22, SK Standard+)

I chose RPRR over 457 MTR, because a) the cost of the RPRR plus a Lilja barrel is nearly the same as a CZ 457 MTR, b) the 457 would need a chassis at some point, and c) parts (magazines, etc) for the RPRR appear much easier to find.

Was able to try a friend's new basic Vudoo (shooting Wolf Match) - smooth & solid feel, super fun - like hitting the easy button. 😁

At some point, perhaps a Vudoo or RimX for me… 🙂

Last edited:
I'm just over here trying to sell/trade as much extra gear to raise enough funds for more gun than I need. Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to sell here so I am relying on snipers hide and Rokslide 🤦🏼‍♂️. But if anyone is interested I have the same name on both forums.

Two folks in my local NRL22 group started with RPRRs, used them to win, and then moved up to Vudoo/RimX but still have their Rugers, loan them out etc. One has a Shaw barrel, the other is stock and shoots CCI SV beautifully.

Another local expert started with a 457 MTR, stepped up to Vudoo, still has the MTR which is wonderfully accurate.

Can get a replacement chassis for CZ 457 (eg, KRG Bravo), not for RPRR…

Lilja makes aftermarket barrels for both 457 & RPRR.

After getting interested in NRL22 earlier this year and trying a 457 MTR loaner (very nice! If you get a 457 be sure to get an MTR) and trying semi and bolt sporters I already had, I rolled the dice with an RPRR. Beginning to set it up, so far so good (with factory barrel). (Norma Match22, SK Standard+)

RPRR over 457 MTR, because a) the cost of the RPRR plus a Lilja barrel is nearly the same as a CZ 457 MTR, b) the 457 would need a chassis at some point, and c) parts (magazines, etc) for the RPRR appear much easier to find.

Was able to try a friend's new basic Vudoo (with Wolf Match) - smooth & solid feel, super fun - like hitting the easy button. 😁

At some point, perhaps a Vudoo or RimX for me… 🙂
Why do you say the MTR would need a different chassis? To be really competitive with the primo match guns?

What advantages are there in switching the chassis?

As a matter of fact OP this is just a little above your budget. https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_lr_rifles/products/1282-summit-rifle

But it is a lights out shooter. PM me and I may be able to help.
I was going to suggest the same rifle, as I have been looking at them for a little while now. I have the Volquartsen in .17 MachII and really like it.
@nethero , I have a nice Ruger 10/22 in the classifieds that would not disappoint. Trigger is really nice and other upgrades.

Last edited:
Why do you say the MTR would need a different chassis? To be really competitive with the primo match guns?

What advantages are there in switching the chassis?
The 457 MTR has a Turkish walnut stock that is beautiful and distinctive. It is also not adjustable.

If an out-of-the box 457 MTR fits the shooter nicely, then great! If it doesn't quite fit, well then at some point there may be sufficient incentive to explore solutions.

Adjustable comb height, length of pull, etc. to get a high degree of fit become more important as the desired level of precision/accuracy increases, IMHO. A chassis typically provides these capabilities. (E.g., KRG Bravo as a basic example).

I'm making some assumptions about what the rifle would be used for, and envisioning a rifle setup that could compete well in NRL22 because NRL22 is a lot of fun and tests a gamut of skills. Stages include shooting off a bipod or bag and all kinds of supported and semi-supported positions that require both accuracy and some speed.

The 457 MTR has a Turkish walnut stock that is beautiful and distinctive. It is also not adjustable.

If an out-of-the box 457 MTR fits the shooter nicely, then great! If it doesn't quite fit, well then at some point there may be sufficient incentive to explore solutions.

Adjustable comb height, length of pull, etc. to get a high degree of fit become more important as the desired level of precision/accuracy increases, IMHO. A chassis typically provides these capabilities. (E.g., KRG Bravo as a basic example).

I'm making some assumptions about what the rifle would be used for, and envisioning a rifle setup that could compete well in NRL22 because NRL22 is a lot of fun and tests a gamut of skills. Stages include shooting off a bipod or bag and all kinds of supported and semi-supported positions that require both accuracy and some speed.
For the time being, it'll be solely for fun. Plinking, friendly competition among some guys. Nothing too serious.

Maybe one day if I get less busy could I actually consider real competitions.