First long range rifle, what scope?

The rifle isn't for competition at this time. I kind of thought that a mildot or something with marks of some sort was recommended for long range shooting? I've never been a fan of a bunch of stuff in the crosshairs, it tends to distract me.

How about the varmint reticle on the Leupolds?

I prefer hash marks but mil dots are fine for me. I use them for windage reference and close range holdovers should the need arise. It is nice to have a backup range-finder built into the reticle because even good lasers are about useless in fog or heavy snow.

I do not range with my reticle unless it is my last resort so it is a minor concern. I hate cluttered reticles so mil dot or hash mark equivalent of (including the various MOA) is my recommendation.
I will never again buy a scope with a strait duplex cross-hare reticle, will never own a horus Christmas tree clustermess, or a scope that has a top end below 20x.

[FONT=&quot]Im a fan of the Tactical Milling Reticle (TMR), for ex. on the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x. It's a Front Focal Plane scope, it will adjust the reticle size in direct proportion to your magnification setting, allowing you to keep your adjustments no matter what magnification setting you are on… In a typical 2nd focal plane reticle, the calibrations will change when you change magnifications (in other words, the reticle will remain the same size to your sight picture, thus requiring you to recalculate your holdovers or hold points – thus your adjustments are only good for one magnification).
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Only problem is that its got a mil reticle, but has MOA turrets, unless I think you can get M1 turrets on the Leupy's..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]best luck![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lever
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Im a fan of the Tactical Milling Reticle (TMR), for ex. on the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x. It's a Front Focal Plane scope, it will adjust the reticle size in direct proportion to your magnification setting, allowing you to keep your adjustments no matter what magnification setting you are on… In a typical 2nd focal plane reticle, the calibrations will change when you change magnifications (in other words, the reticle will remain the same size to your sight picture, thus requiring you to recalculate your holdovers or hold points – thus your adjustments are only good for one magnification).
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Only problem is that its got a mil reticle, but has MOA turrets, unless I think you can get M1 turrets on the Leupy's..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]best luck![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lever
[/FONT]
Sorry for the correction or clarification but I see a lot of beginners thrown off by your last sentence so:
Your adjustments will be fine at any magnification when dialing in and using the main intersection of the cross hair, the dot spacing or hold over marks will be different at different magnifications in a second focal plane.
First focal cross-hairs will get thicker or thinner in your view to compensate for that. I do not like ffp as much generally but just because of that and of course because I do not use my reticle to range.

ok thanks..

..one more clarification - the M5 is the turret I was thinking of (not M1)... here's a video..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuygTsi7Lpo]Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 w/M5 Turrets - YouTube[/ame]

-Lever

Well I decided on a Leupold 8.5-25x50 LR with the varmint reticle for now. Depending on how I like the rifle, how much I shoot it, and if it's as accurate as the previous owner claims I may upgrade to another scope in the future. I can always throw this scope on one of my varmint rifles if I want to. Thank you to everyone for the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.