First Long Range Scope

Picked up a new Burris XTR ll mil on eBay a while back for $700 for my first long range scope. No complaints at all, I have an Athlon Midas tac on my wife's tikka t3 in 7mm-08. The only issue with the Athlon is finicky with Eye relief, great on tracking and love the reticle.
Burris XTR ll on eBay is a tough scope to beat for the price.

Look for demo products and you could step up to the next level in scopes. I would say half my optics are demos and never an issue. As previous comment, Redhawk for Zeiss demos. But scour the web for other sources (ebay, europtics, ect). I have a few setups where the glass cost me more than the gun.

Just bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor and now need to put a scope on it. I'm having trouble figuring out which scope to put on it. My goal is to stay between $500-$1000 on a scope.
Any advice between Athlon, Bushnell, Meopta, Burris?
You might want to give Leupold a whirl.
For $1000, you can get an excellent scope with a lifetime warranty

Just bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor and now need to put a scope on it. I'm having trouble figuring out which scope to put on it. My goal is to stay between $500-$1000 on a scope.
Questions like this always get a lot of replies, cause everyone has an opinion.

I recently went through a similar process of elimination, and bought and returned multiple scopes at various price ranges.

After watching Kataboy and Rex and a few others on youtube go from 100 to 1000 yards in seconds using Dimitri's Apollo reticle for the 6.5 Creed, I became a believer, and went with the Primary Arms Platinum Apollo for that caliber.

The glass is great, and once you zero at 100, you really never have to touch the turrets again. The ranging in the reticle works great too. I think its way ahead of the more common reticle types, especially if you are not already a Marine sniper. Its made at LOW in Japan. If you have mildot background, then use whatever.

If you dont mind china made, I have found the Vector Continental to be a great value. Their 42mm ocular makes the sight picture almost panoramic, and the illuminated center dot makes getting on target very fast.

Both the Bushnell scopes linked above are an extremely good value in my opinion. I've got 8 or 9 elite tactical scopes from 2.5-10 up through the line (XRS, DMR, DMR2, LRHSi etc). I've got nightforce, ior, Zeiss Leopold and Burris too but for the dollar I like the elite tactical.

My advice is always this: increase your max budget by 50%, find the best scope in that price range, and then look for a used one that's actually in your budget. A $1500 scope for $1000 is pretty much always going to be better than a $1000 scope new. Also, when looking for recommendations it helps to prioritize features. Are you looking for a beefy scope with tactical exposed turrets or a lightweight scope. Distance you'll be shooting? Conditions/foliage/lighting/etc?

Had done the Vortex hs lr 6x24. Never thought about it at the time but with 1/2" per click, you never are confident with a 2" bullseye at 1000 yds. We changed all our scopes to Athlon. 204 with a Helos, 7 mag with a Midas Tac 6x24 & 2 6.5PRCs with Ares 6x24. Have done elevation track testing & they all have been spot on! The Ares is their 2nd from the top & we paid $800 each. Lifetime no question warranty, zero-stop & love their reticle!! Excellent value for the money!!

I have 2 of these and have been very staisfied for the price. 1/8" clicks, illuminated dual x reticle. They track perfectly. Natchez exclusive from Weaver. They also make a 6-24x model which I have no experience with.

Last edited:
Look at both Arken and Athlon....they have all the bells and whistles of much higher prices scopes. My next one will be an Arken to try..they offer double or more elevation for a great price...And....a 20 moa one piece base for their scope for 60.00....just me!

Last edited:
Picked up a new Burris XTR ll mil on eBay a while back for $700 for my first long range scope. No complaints at all, I have an Athlon Midas tac on my wife's tikka t3 in 7mm-08. The only issue with the Athlon is finicky with Eye relief, great on tracking and love the reticle.
Burris XTR ll on eBay is a tough scope to beat for the price.
Be very careful with scopes on EBay as most are probably a Chinese knock off......great caution when buying scopes on eBay! Check models and serial numbers closely! But hey...the Swarovskis at 450.00 are a Super Deal!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.