First Long Range Scope

etbruner

Just bought my first 6.5 Creedmoor and now need to put a scope on it. I'm having trouble figuring out which scope to put on it. My goal is to stay between $500-$1000 on a scope.
Any advice between Athlon, Bushnell, Meopta, Burris?

I was two 6.5 CMs, one with a Vortex Viper HS and the other a Vortex Viper HS-T. The scope quality is on par with the quality of the rifles they sit on, meaning they cost roughly the same. I have several Athlon Helos BTRs, and the same deal, they match what they go on. They're all fine so far, but I haven't done anything serious with them. All the Athlons have been "set and forget" and they've held zero. The Vortexes have done limited dialing, but they've returned to zero well and dialed accurately.

What kind of reticle do you want? I prefer a traditional SFP duplex for hunting, but the Athlons have the FFP MOA reticle and it hasn't bothered me.

Last edited:
Burris would be the easy choice for me of all you've mentioned. I've never used the meopta or athlon.

The Burris Veracity isnt available due to a lens shortage and they've told me they dont think any will ship until Aug. I've heard the XTR2 uses the same lenses, but I dont know. I looked through the XTR2 and the pst Gen2 side by side multiple times and the pst Gen2 came home with me. Those are at the upper end of your budget, depending on what magnification you go with though.

I think the PST Gen 2 is best in its price point, but I don't like the Viper HS or HST for their price point. They are reliable, but the glass isn't the best. I'd recommend the VX3i now VX3HD for best glass over the vipers.

I'd recommend you consider buying used. Burris, Vortex, leupold all have lifetime warranties so no concerns buying used IMO. You will get better glass than you could otherwise afford.

Other than Burris, I'd be interested in looking through a Bushnell as a second choice for those mentioned.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.