Long range scope

I've been using a Nikon Monarch 5 x 15 44mm on a 270win. It has 48 moa of adjustment. Zeroed at 200 yds. At 5x it does a perfect job at the close-in shots. I put a 20moa rail on it and found the scope did not have enough down elevation to make it work so my smith put 2 shims under that which he said put the tilt at about 13moa. The scope tracks very well through all the adjustments. I don't have 1000yds to shoot but I do have 850 and it hits sheep sized steel at that range without any holdover using 15x and dials back to zero perfectly. I don't know if they are still available but the cost wouldn't break the bank.

As far as the general population goes I bet only 5% of hunters could make a 500 yard kill with their hunting rifle. I shoot 1000 yard competition and still consider a 500 to 600 yard shot at game a long shot. Everybody that thinks he needs an moa base has to understand his scope can dial far enough to shoot far but his turret will only turn 1 time around. Once he is sighted in he can only shoot as far as that one revolution of the turret gives him. If he took out the stop he can turn the dial more revolutions and shoot farther. But then he wouldn't have a zero stop either. I really like how the Leopold vx6 turrets work. I like how the lock button has 3 positions as you turn the turret. It shows you what revolution you are on up to 3 revolutions. After playing with a few of them on customers guns it's going to be my next scope.
Shep

As far as the general population goes I bet only 5% of hunters could make a 500 yard kill with their hunting rifle. I shoot 1000 yard competition and still consider a 500 to 600 yard shot at game a long shot. Everybody that thinks he needs an moa base has to understand his scope can dial far enough to shoot far but his turret will only turn 1 time around. Once he is sighted in he can only shoot as far as that one revolution of the turret gives him. If he took out the stop he can turn the dial more revolutions and shoot farther. But then he wouldn't have a zero stop either. I really like how the Leopold vx6 turrets work. I like how the lock button has 3 positions as you turn the turret. It shows you what revolution you are on up to 3 revolutions. After playing with a few of them on customers guns it's going to be my next scope.
Shep
If you max the turret out and you need to go further by useing the reticle.

You will gain 20 moa. what cant you add.
What do you not understand that the turret is only a single turn? From where you zero it at? No matter what your base cant is?
One revolution. You don't add 20MOA to one revolution. You still ONLY GET ONE REVOLUTION from the factory. It is not a multiturn turret. It is not that the turret is limited to 64.8MOA (32.2 from center) of adjustment, and a 20MOA allows you to use all 52.2MOA now. You only get one revolution from the factory turret no matter where you set your zero. So if you have a 11.5MOA turret, you ONLY GET 11.5MOA of adjustment on the single turn turret. You do not gain an additional 20MOA of adjustment if you run a 20MOA base. You still only get 11.5MOA of available adjustment. It is just on a different revolution on the turret, but still stops after the first turn.

Last edited:
Robert I'm not trying to put you down in any way and I'm sorry I just can't explain it to you any other way. But putting more minutes on the rail won't fix the problem with his turret not turning more than one revolution. The problem he has is just because of the way his scope works. You are correct in assuming if you run out of clicks on a scope that turns freely to the top that a plus 10 or 15 moa rail would fix it. But not with this scope. One full turn of the turret is still one turn of the turret no matter what rail is on it.
Shep

Robert I'm sorry I just can't explain it to you any other way. But putting more minutes on the rail won't fix the problem with his turret not turning more than one revolution. The problem he has is just because of the way his scope works. You are correct in assuming if you run out of clicks on a scope that turns freely to the top that a plus 10 or 15 moa rail would fix it. But not with this scope. One full turn of the turret is still one turn of the turret no matter what rail it has.

What do you not understand that the turret is only a single turn? From where you zero it at? No matter what your base cant is?
One revolution. You don't add 20MOA to one revolution. You still ONLY GET ONE REVOLUTION from the factory. It is not a multiturn turret. It is not that the turret is limited to 64.8MOA (32.2 from center) of adjustment, and a 20MOA allows you to use all 52.2MOA now. You only get one revolution from the factory turret no matter where you set your zero. So if you have a 20MOA turret, you ONLY GET 20MOA of adjustment on the single turn turret. You do not gain an additional 20MOA of adjustment if you run a 20MOA base. You still only get 20MOA of available adjustment. It is just on a different revolution on the turret, but still stops after the first turn.
ok im with you but im saying that the guy wants to shoot further than he can with one turn turret.then the 20 moa rail would give him that much more distance.

Robert I'm sorry I just can't explain it to you any other way. But putting more minutes on the rail won't fix the problem with his turret not turning more than one revolution. The problem he has is just because of the way his scope works. You are correct in assuming if you run out of clicks on a scope that turns freely to the top that a plus 10 or 15 moa rail would fix it. But not with this scope. One full turn of the turret is still one turn of the turret no matter what rail it has.
I understand that that one turn is it all there is.but you are saying by adding 200 moa in elavation will not affect the distance that the rifle will shoot.

ok im with you but im saying that the guy wants to shoot further than he can with one turn turret.then the 20 moa rail would give him that much more distance.
Yeah. If he set up like a 400 yard zero, he can go 11.5 MOA over his 400 yard zero. But a 400 yard zero is not practical for a hunting rifle, and resetting the turrets every time would suck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.