What is your Long Range scope?

Probably should not post this (beacuae I'll get lauged at) but, for years I had a Tasco and I thought it was a good scope but I could see better then.:)

I used a Tasco for many years too - specifically years 6 through 10 on my trusty Crossman 760. It wasn't much of a LR rig, but the Tasco was a mild step up from the paper towel tube and string that I was using inside to waste communist spies a mile or more out...

A simple straight forward optic...the new Leupy VX-6 3-18x50mm Fine Duplex #115005 with 6 Power Zoom Range, Sharp & Clear Optics, Generous Eyebox, Lightweight (20.4oz), Short (13.5"), Solid (30mm), Low Turrets, Accurate El. CDS, Lifetime Warranty...Works for Me! :D

Last edited:
I used a Tasco for many years too - specifically years 6 through 10 on my trusty Crossman 760. It wasn't much of a LR rig, but the Tasco was a mild step up from the paper towel tube and string that I was using inside to waste communist spies a mile or more out...

Pass that crack pipe this way....I could use a few hits off of it..!!!...:rolleyes:

Pass that crack pipe this way....I could use a few hits off of it..!!!...:rolleyes:

Awwwwww, I'm hurt. I only smoke crack socially :rolleyes:

You're not trying to tell me your LR rigs are sportin' Tascos, are you? If you can put up a solid defense for Tasco as a real LR recommendation I'll eat my words (and pass the pipe!)

I should have never mentioned Tasco's though I still use a Tasco red dot on a 22 target pistol. Thought I'd try one on a 44 and it lasted 3 rounds and the objective end glass fell out....

Sometimes I wonder if most import scopes are all made in the same place and the name just changes. Like mouthwash, all made in the same facory with appropriate labes affixed to the respective bottles.

On something I've seen myself..... Oil filters. There is a large factory in Cleveland that makes oil filters. I watched in amazment as the machines cranked out blue (FoMoCo), then orange (Fram), then white (NAPA) in a matter of 5 minutes. All the same, different brands.... amazing. Different pricing but the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder if scopes are like oil filters or mouthwash????

Awwwwww, I'm hurt. I only smoke crack socially :rolleyes:

You're not trying to tell me your LR rigs are sportin' Tascos, are you? If you can put up a solid defense for Tasco as a real LR recommendation I'll eat my words (and pass the pipe!)

Only Tasco I ever had I used as a hammer

I should have never mentioned Tasco's though I still use a Tasco red dot on a 22 target pistol. Thought I'd try one on a 44 and it lasted 3 rounds and the objective end glass fell out....

Sometimes I wonder if most import scopes are all made in the same place and the name just changes. Like mouthwash, all made in the same facory with appropriate labes affixed to the respective bottles.

On something I've seen myself..... Oil filters. There is a large factory in Cleveland that makes oil filters. I watched in amazment as the machines cranked out blue (FoMoCo), then orange (Fram), then white (NAPA) in a matter of 5 minutes. All the same, different brands.... amazing. Different pricing but the same thing.

Sometimes I wonder if scopes are like oil filters or mouthwash????

When ya get a REAL close look at different items it sure makes a guy wonder.

But then one day when I drove past the "Craftsman" tool plant...........:D

I'm currently running Vortex HS LR's, the reasoning is my range finder is only good to 1200 yards so I can only hunt that far but I GPS much longer range targets so I like to have enough elevation to reach 2000 yards. The elevation clicks are 1/2 MOA and I use a turret tape from Custom Turret Systems which get most of my hunting rifles to 100-1100 yards in one turn which lets me get windage, yardage and MOA on the tape and still be inside my effective range. The HS LR has the good PST elevation turret but has a covered windage which I like since you can't zero stop a windage turret so it stays safe and I use windage holds on the reticle or if I have time I'll unscrew it. I will never again own an optic without a zero stop or that has a windage turret that does not count from zero in both directions!!

When ya get a REAL close look at different items it sure makes a guy wonder.

But then one day when I drove past the "Craftsman" tool plant...........:D

Yes. it does, but then creative marketing is everything.

Always wondered where 'Craftsman' tools were made or if they came from an overseas container..... Suprise me....

I always considered your town to be the undeniable seat of techinical aristocrats, at least 30 years ago it was. It started in Sidney, Ohio (Monarch Machine Works) and progressed to the river with high points at Cincinatti-Milacron and General Electric Turbine Engine Division.

Back in the day, I hauled some monster machines out of Milacron. Was a bitch getting into and worse getting out of (with oversized loads) but I enjoyed every minute of being there and made some serious jack too.

I often wonder about optics and firearms in general. It makes no sense (from a mass manufacturing point of view) for optics makers or firearm makers to actually make each intrinsic part. If they did, they would all be priced like Schmidt and Bender or Sako TRG's, in other words, too expensive to appeal to or be afforded by the masses (you and me).

That leads me to believe that all consumer grade optics and firearms share intrinsic parts and/or in the case of optics, just rebadged in a different brand name.

To balance price point against profit is a delicate task.

Something to ponder.

and..........No Trashco's on anything other than a couple 22 target pistols. They do make a nice 30mm red dot for under 60 bucks btw.

Yes. it does, but then creative marketing is everything.

Always wondered where 'Craftsman' tools were made or if they came from an overseas container..... Suprise me....

I always considered your town to be the undeniable seat of techinical aristocrats, at least 30 years ago it was. It started in Sidney, Ohio (Monarch Machine Works) and progressed to the river with high points at Cincinatti-Milacron and General Electric Turbine Engine Division.

Back in the day, I hauled some monster machines out of Milacron. Was a bitch getting into and worse getting out of (with oversized loads) but I enjoyed every minute of being there and made some serious jack too.

I often wonder about optics and firearms in general. It makes no sense (from a mass manufacturing point of view) for optics makers or firearm makers to actually make each intrinsic part. If they did, they would all be priced like Schmidt and Bender or Sako TRG's, in other words, too expensive to appeal to or be afforded by the masses (you and me).

That leads me to believe that all consumer grade optics and firearms share intrinsic parts and/or in the case of optics, just rebadged in a different brand name.

To balance price point against profit is a delicate task.

Something to ponder.

and..........No Trashco's on anything other than a couple 22 target pistols. They do make a nice 30mm red dot for under 60 bucks btw.

I live about 4 miles from the Batavia Milacron plant and drove the 27 miles to GE for 37 years. I did exhaust systems for many years and then moved to front frames an such on all the military engines.

But you are dead on target about each building another labels items. I remeber back when GE got out of the small appliance business......sold it all to Black and Decker.....but on the store shelves it still said GE on them......:D

I have Huskemaw 5x20's on my two 6,5x284's and a Nightforce G7 on my 300WM. Both brands have good glass, are rugged, and are dead on with turret reproducibility . I like the Huskemaws weight and size for my 10-11 pound 6.5's used for 1000 max range medium game, and coyotes at any range. These rigs balance nicely with this scope. I like yardage turrets for this work. For longer range hunting and larger game I like the Nightforce 5.5x22x50 on my 300WM. Being heavier anyway, the size and bulk of the NF is negated and the rifle feels well balanced. I really like the reticle and turrets on this scope. I use a combined yardage turret that also has a very readable lower MOA scale for +1000 yards shots. The reticle substention is perfect for me, and the added 600 yard ladder is good for fast closer shots. Also has a 1 MOA wind correction scale. With all this the view is not cluttered. IMO.

yes, I will look at both of these as Im having a hard time spending over $1000 I looked at Zeiss, and vortex, leupold, NF,well $1800 That a bit to much.

Right now my first goal is taking a coyote at 400

Im going to have to sell me Leupold 4.5-14 Var3

G

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.