What is your Favorite Long Range Scope and Why?

For PRS/Tactical sports I use FFP exclusively. I find SFP much better suited for LRH, even after trying my high end S&B and NF-F1 scopes. The retical substension never seems to be well matched for the shot.....for my tastes.
I don't disagree that many people like FFP and that they have their place...just saying it is not a requirement for LR shooting.

Recently went with the S&B 3-20 PMII ultra short. Great glass, low profile locking turret with 35 MRAD elevation in two revolutions. Using a 20 MOA rail it will dial to 2000 yards (around 24 mils). Tracking is precise and consistent. I ordered this scope with clockwise turret rotation and wish I would have made the change years ago. Had to take some time to readjust but after a few minutes, the turret numbering progressing left to right is much more natural for my brain. A little heavy at 30 oz for a hunting rig but not a deal breaker.

It is hard to tell the difference between the glass on a lot of scopes just by casually looking thru them in a store or even at the range sometimes. They make resolution charts for scopes. They are kinda like "eye charts". Put one up at 100 yards and test the scopes against the charts and the differences will easily be evident. That exceptional resolution, IMO, is what you are paying for in the higher end scopes. Probably some sturdier mechanics too, but a lot of it is the glass quality. I'm sure my Vortex would be nowhere close to an S&B in resolution.
Good reply.
I have a sightron stac, for the value it's awesome and I can spot hits on steel at 1/2 mile, but the clarity is not like my mark 4 or lrp, but neither is the cost

I'd like to get a Bushnell Elite XTR II 5 - 30 x 50 with H59 illuminated reticle. This scope has ED glass and is excellent overall quality.
It will replace my Bushnell Elite ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 with H59 reticle on my competition rifle.

Eric B.

It is hard to tell the difference between the glass on a lot of scopes just by casually looking thru them in a store or even at the range sometimes.

Man this is the truth. I've molested pretty much every scope on the market and always ended up back with F1 ATACR's because they were good reliable stand-by's and the volume of Demo scopes at Mile High pretty much meant I could get an essentially new one for a heavy discount. The glass always looked comparable and I couldn't justify the price difference. Having said that, I shuffled some stuff around and came into possession of a slightly used S&B 5-25 PMII. After one day at the range, laying it right next to the ATACR (that I was absolutely happy with and had no issues with prior to this) and getting some real trigger time behind it and jumping back and forth in changing light conditions... brother I've seen the light!

Glass quality is tough to quantify, it was obviously a little brighter but it was most obvious in the eye fatigue when the mirage would start to kick up. After shooting and then spotting a buddy's shots for 10 minutes I needed a break from the NF, but I felt like I could be under the hood with that Schmidt all day long and be no worse for the wear. Y'all who glass a lot will know what I'm talking about. It also seemed much more reactive to parallax adjustments. It was just a bunch of little stuff that you wouldn't notice looking 500yds across a parking lot or stuff you wouldn't dare mess with getting behind someone else's gun.

Given this post was initiated about two years ago, I have acquired and grown quite fond of the "enhanced" version of the Nightforce ATACR which was introduced since. This scope, the ATACR F2, 5x25x56 in MOA, Is, IMO, a materially improved version of prior ATACR, a scope that I felt was wanting in certain attributes. Nightforce addressed the rather vague, slow ratio parallax/focus control with a faster ratio, yardage marked design that is very fast, accurate, and a pleasure to use. While the glass of the original ATACR was good, the upgraded ED glass is much better, comparable to my S&B PMII, and particularly effective for low light work. Also they have shortened the elevation turret of the NF making it less obtrusive. While a pound heavier, and an inch longer then I would prefer, this quickly becomes an afterthought when in use. While I still own and like my more compact March, the NF-F2 has quickly become my go-to for my brand of LR hunting. Liking it so much, for PRS competition I switched to a NF ATACR F1/MIL in 5x25x56. I'm equally satisfied with the F, and the similarity between the two, a nice benefit.
8E4863D8-20E2-45E4-A9E6-632903B4277F.jpeg

For a SFP scope,the Sightron SIII series is hard to beat. They have very good glass,and will track with the best scopes made. I have 5 of them.

In FFP,I really enjoy using my IOR Valdada Recon. It has been excellent in every way I've used it. I recently bought a Revic scope but haven't mounted it on anything yet,USPS has been playing games on getting my rings delivered.

The Athlon Cronus & Cronus BTR scopes are also very good FFP scopes for the money. I have an original Cronus,and while it's not in the same class as scopes that cost $2500 and up,it lacks very little in operating like one.
I second the motion on sightrons and the cronus. As far as SFP scopes are concerned, sightron glass is hard to beat for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.