Ballistic Reticles... What is your favorite and why?

Shoot out from 100 - 1000 yards about every weekend lately, using a falcon menace (ffp, mil/mil, mil line reticle). Most of the time I dial up/down, but I at least make sure I holdover for several shots, just to keep in practice. No issues with holding level while holding over, even at 1k. REALLY like having the same value turret adjustments and reticle increment(mil/mil)........ unlike my previous scopes that were mildot with moa adjustments. Also REALLY like this front focal plane deal too.......very nice for quick ranging and dialing what you "see" without having to be on a certain power. http://www.sightwonders.com/falcon%20front%20focal%20plane.html

Last edited:
While I do not consider myself a Long Range Hunter, in that I do not yet feel I have equipment capable of making ethical shots on game over 6-800 yards. But, up to my effective range I must say I really like the Zeiss Z-600 reticle. The multiple aim point out to 650 yards with 50 and even some 25 yard increments, as well as 5 and mph wind marks. Of course non of these are dead on aim-point, but usually within 2-3 inch's, so there is little more to do that range the target. For beyond the farthest hash mark, the dials are resettable, so you could easily shoot as far as you wanted. I also like that the yardage is marked on the hash, so for relatively quick shots, you won't easily get confused like on a Burris or Leupold. I just wish the 600 yard reticle was available on a 12 or 14x scope.

To each his own. I'll take the ballistic reticle and have the option to do either.

In a no wind situation, I can hit a deers vitals from muzzle to past 1000yds without doing anything but range and shoot. If you want to twist your dials, have at it.

AJ

I agree with AJ. IT IS SOO EASY TO RANGE HOLD AND SHOT, instead range, dial, shot, redial to zero after.
In areas where I hunt I can get 2-3 deers in less the 2 min, in the morning, just using hold over. (because the deers are coming to bedding areas in lines one behind another).

I used also ranging with reticle up to 800 yrds to deer size games, and without loosing the scope sights I can engage the target VERY FAST AND DEADLY.

I shoot regular in every week my rifle on field position just using HOLD OVER to engage rocks (vital zone size)up to 1400yrds. After 1400 yrds I use dial to reach 1680yrds due to scope limitation (NSX NP-R1 8.5-32x56) with 100yrds zero

NP-R1 has 10 above and 30 below for the 3.5x15 and 10 above and 20 below for the 5.5x22

Just fyi. I have no problem shooting any of the lines and keeping things level, why would it be any harder to hold a scope level and using a hash mark that was not the crosshairs?

AJ

AJ is right ... count them ...

NFNPR135to15ret.jpg

I really love mi Leupolds reticles:

- TMR in the Mark4 6,5-20x50
- Varmint Hunter in the VXIII 8,5-25x50

A little preference for the TMR on the target, and for the Varm.Hunt. for the Hunting

If you aren't dead set on strictly using the reticle for bullet drop you might want to look at the scope from Grey Bull Precision. It has a good ranging style of reticle and it incorporates a Drop Compensating Turret. Check it out.

zeiss rapid z 800 if you are shooting 800 and under because it has 5 and 10 mph windage all the way down. also has lines in between main lines for prescise shooting. also has rangefinding capability. ballistic reticles are faster to get a shot off with than turrets

I'll give another vote for the Leupold Varmint Hunter Reticle. I've been using a VX-3 6.5-20X50 for several years and I find it hard to beat for coyote and rockchuck hunting out to 600 yards. Hold and shoot, it's simple (if I practice). I'd like to graduate up to a NF with the Velocity 1000 reticle but haven't convinced myself it's $1000 better than what I already have.

Just about all of my shooting/hunting with a ballstic reticle has been done at under 600 yards and I ve had good success over the years with mildot/TMR, and the Leupold B/C systems. For long range precision work at longer ranges, I prefer turrets, either MOA, or yardage. My favorite system on my LR rig over the past couple of years had been my Nightforce G7 scope from Gunwerks. For long range precision shooting and hunting I use the scope, usually at 22x with the turret which has a load specific yardage, and MOA scale on the same turret. For faster, closer range work where a precision set up may not be feasible, I can use the G7's 600 yard ballistic reticle that is set up for a magnification setting of 9-11x depending on my specific load I'm using. The system is very accurate, and offers a high degree of versatility to suite different loads and shooting conditions.

Like the TMR or a hash version mil. Im shooting mil/mil in ffp so my holdds are the same as my dial up to 1/2 mil so quick and easy. Prefer to dial farther I get.

One of the best designed Ballistic Reticles......
The T3 reticle by Rudolph Optics is available in most of our Long
Range scopes.

It works fantastic in the Rudolph C1 6-24x50mm and the centre dot is also illuminated.

99a82ff26d02901e14dc026887bec4e9_zps7ca7527f.jpg

0b12b5a0fbf25983f9d1ed7ba71932db.jpg

Contact us at: [email protected]

I like using BDC reticles out to 500 yds or so. Beyond that, I think dialing is more accurate. The Zeiss RZ-800 is a nice reticle, but it's difficult to make it accurate over the entire 0-800 yd range. You really need to calibrate ir for either short, mid or long range.

I like simple BDC reticles that provide windage holdoffs. The Burris E1 reticle works very well. By adjusting the magnification, I can get the E1 to match just about any caliber out to 500 yds, with less than +/-3" of error. Most flat-shooting calibers have less than +/-1" of error. Steiner uses a similar reticle, called the S1. I also like the Swarovski BRX/BRH reticles because they are mil-based and can be used for milling targets to get range (in a pinch).

The E1 reticle features are also available in the new Burris Veracity Scopes. The Veracity scopes also have milling and windage hold-off crosshair marks, so it's more of a general purpose reticle (good for holding-off at short range and dialing at long range).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.