FFP or SFP

Yup, I compete in 1000yrd benchrest with a SFP scope. It should be noted that all sighting shots are marked by the pit crew, and all shots for score are shot into a target SOOO large that for me to see the dust fly would DQ me for the match. So yes spending extra $$$ on a FFP scope that will ONLY be used on a rifle at MAXIMUM power is stupid. But the last time I went varmint hunting I had no pit crew, nor even a spotter. So for me to be able to spot my own shots and accurately adjust for changing wind conditions, having a FFP scope is a big plus...but hey, be happy with your setup and the belief that the missed prairie dog jumped the shot. (They're psychic ya know :))

Last edited:
Whether you admit or not, it boils down to personal preference ... PERIOD!

[/SIZE][/FONT]FFPs are fairly common in most European manufacturers.

Is it acceptable to be a smartmouth? We want to follow the Europeans? Are the best European shooters better than the best USA shooters?

And for LR on varmints, SFP is best by far. It's not subjective there at all.

I have to agree with you. Varmints are small and I like a small fine cross hair when viewing them through a scope.

Others have mentioned a "FFP Varmint" reticle. I would assume it's cross hair stays thinner and probably almost disappears at the lower magnification powers. Which I would be fine with if I'm only zooming out to get my baring of where I'm looking. I'll be honest and say I've never looked through a FFP scope that was marketed for varmint hunting. It does make me curious.

Is it acceptable to be a smartmouth? We want to follow the Europeans? Are the best European shooters better than the best USA shooters?

Smart mouth! Are you serious? As you can see, one side prefers SFP and the other FFP, if that is not a personal choice , I don't know what ... and now you just made it US vs Europeans unnecessarily, when all I am saying is that while FFP is fairly new here in the US, the Europeans has been using it for awhile.

As you can see, most US scope manufacturer's are now offering them too as an option. We all want options, that is what we have, what you do with is it entirely up to the end -users ... period (no one is being forced) and each has it's own place, pros, and cons ...

I have both SFP and FFP and I used them both for my intended use ... my personal choice to have and use both.

.......As you can see, most US scope manufacturer's are now offering them too as an option. We all want options, that is what we have, what you do with is it entirely up to the end -users ... period (no one is being forced) and each has it's own place, pros, and cons .......I have both SFP and FFP and I used them both for my intended use ... my personal choice to have and use both......................

What he said.

This thread interests me quite a bit. In the end I chose SFP over FFP but always wonder if I made a mistake. My next scope will be a FFP on my DMPS. I am also surprised that tactical shooting matches are perceived or not like mid to long range hunting. I never been to one myself but want to. I would think it would be the equivalent to a rifle shooter as sporting clays is to a shotgun shooter. A variety of targets at different unknown ranges and shooting in different positions seems realistic in hunting. I guess to me the difference is I am not planning on going out to only shoot long range but whatever range the game presents itself and practice for that shot so I dont have to pass because of a lack of confidence. I have a lot of years behind the trigger but not Long Range Hunting so these kinds of topics are VERY interesting to me. If I did enter a match I wouldnt really want to do it with a tactical set up but rather my hunting set up as I am more interested in improving my skills then winning. I guess maybe that what was being referred to as in not realistic to long range hunting? I can see that point I guess but would still like to see one of these matches to see for myself. I just havent seen much for them here in MN.

Most tactical wannabes are not match competitors though.
So the "wannabes" should get SFP, the non-wannabes should get FFP? Or visa versa? What exactly does that mean?

I'm not sure what you expect meaningless insults to add to the conversation. You do realize there are many out there that say the exact same thing about long range hunters, right? That "most" of them are "wannabes" who buy an expensive rifle, fancy scope and think they can kill animals cleanly from long range but really, blah, blah blah...... I don't think throwing insults like that at anybody who disagrees with your choice of gear is helpful at all.

And for LR on varmints, SFP is best by far. It's not subjective there at all.

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for us then! Conversation over! And you came to this conclusion through your extensive experience with the best FFP scopes there are, trying to kill varmints with them, right?

Of course not. You don't feel the need to speak from experience on this subject.

While historically there haven't been that many affordable FFP scopes suitable for varmint hunting, there are now. I've had both the PST 6-24 and the Burris 5-25 SCR on my .204 P-dog rifle which work great to the limits of the round. The Veracity varmint reticle is specifically designed for it and even thinner. For extreme range tiny targets, the F-Class reticle in their 8-40 would work great.

In the heat of the day in a P-dog town when mirage is nasty, it's nice to be able to dial down the magnification and still be able to hold for wind properly. If you like to dial wind or guess hold-offs, then FFP won't offer anything for you.

it sounds to me like your using higher power scopes for hunting. I said when it comes to what I would call varmint type power ranges FFP might be better for that.
Yes, like most people here I prefer to use higher powered scopes.

the problem with the tactical community is they know what they know and are SOOO into group think and whatever the fad of the day is. This is never more pronounced than over at snipers hide. like I said 40mm tubed 3 pound scopes suitable for mounting on a 20 mm cannon. That is what they think you need to connect with a shot. tactical shooting competitions are an entirely different discipline than long range hunting.

It's very clear you have no clue what a tactical competition of any sort is like. Just so you know, "fads," by definition, are things without merit but are popular for a time anyway. When some of the best shooters in the country are in a match keeping score, they tend to figure out what actually improves their scores. They generally don't waste their time on things that don't.

But don't worry, guys. I didn't type all that for your benefit. I've been around long enough to know your minds won't be changed no matter what. But there are a lot of new members who haven't heard the same old arguments 1000 times yet.

They may not realize what horrifically horrible advice "holding off in inches" is unless your target literally has a ruler printed on it.....

I would think it would be the equivalent to a rifle shooter as sporting clays is to a shotgun shooter. A variety of targets at different unknown ranges and shooting in different positions seems realistic in hunting.

That's a very good way of putting it. As no two matches are the same, it's not about expecting every match to be exactly like some particular hunt. It's about marksmanship. Hitting small targets at long range in adverse conditions, under pressure when you're out of your comfort-zone. And being pushed beyond your limits--so everybody misses some targets, no matter how good you are. Like so many other things in life, the harder you make things on yourself when practicing, the easier time you'll have when you do it "for real."

If I did enter a match I wouldnt really want to do it with a tactical set up but rather my hunting set up as I am more interested in improving my skills then winning.

I've seen a lot of people do that. The only issue you may have with that is if your hunting rifle is a big one. A .308 or something is fine, a 300 Winmag is starting to push it; if you enter a 200 round match with an Utramag, etc, you'll get beat up, won't do very well and you'll burn up your barrel quickly. Since you only need to hit the target and not kill it, 6mm and 6.5mm's are more popular than they generally are for LRH. It's still marksmanship, the fundamentals are the same, but if you're going to go through 1000 rounds every couple of weeks, you probably want to get something that uses less powder than what many of us like to hunt with.

Jon A,

Most excellent responses ... I enjoyed reading them; be careful though or you'll join me in the "smart mouth wannabes" group. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)

[ame]https://youtu.be/3uSTOHa4Im4?t=4[/ame]

Cheers!

Ed

Quote:
"In the heat of the day in a P-dog town when mirage is nasty, it's nice to be able to dial down the magnification and still be able to hold for wind properly. If you like to dial wind or guess hold-offs, then FFP won't offer anything for you."

^^^
This is great advice. I had a 25x SFP scope and after about noon, it's useless at max power. I actually moved to a 10x SFP scope to deal with the mirage on a second shooting trip and it worked well. I will be running a FFP scope this year for P-dogs and I think it'll work great.

The 'reticle is too thick' argument is academic at best. consider the following example:
NF MIL-R FFP reticle (0.04MIL / 0.14MOA thickness)
500 yd P-dog
18"x0.04 = 0.72" of the target covered.
I know it's fun to shoot the young pups, but I've never seen one that skinny.

You'll notice in these SFP vs. FFP threads, those who are opposing FFP don't actually use them. Those who advocate FFP have and use both. I have and use both; both have pros/cons and shine in certain applications. OP just needs to decide what is most important and how the optic will be used. It's great to have options.

B-P-UU,

Here in Oregon we don't have prairie dogs. We have ground squirrels. The largest I ever measured would have been 8" tall when setting up. Also the thickest I measured was 2 1/4" from front to back and from side to side. A typical squirrel would be about 7" tall 2" wide. I like to use 20X when shooting them. Normally they don't give you over seven to ten second to shoot them when they stop and stand erect. A big surprise was you get a chance to shoot them horizontally when their living comrade comes to eat them!

Often in life I appeal to ignorant prejudice. In my ignorance I think the FFP would cover the little targets. Maybe that's 'cause I can't afford a new scope.:)

By the way I'm a wannabe long range shooter. The farthest I killed a rodent was a little over 500 yards. I'm hoping to correct that this year with some practice.

Often in life I appeal to ignorant prejudice. In my ignorance I think the FFP would cover the little targets. Maybe that's 'cause I can't afford a new scope.:)

The same ignorant prejudice that prompted this response?

SMARTMOUTH_zpsiylf54t5.jpg

I come in with a little levity and you guys flip out! How do you handle it when something goes wrong when you have a firearm in your hand? You guys are scary.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.