FFP or SFP

The "known ranges"....that is a fact. None of the reticles are meaningful without the distance info.

There are some reticles I have seen that have mil/moa marks above the horizontal/horizon line. These are stated to be used to range the game. Then, using the lines below the vertical - the holdover is known....
Does that make sense?

I can tell you are really interested in learning more about scopes in regards to rifle shooting. I'm sincerely saying this as humbly and non confrontational as I can, but I do think there are some holes in your knowledge still.

I believe it would behoove you to Youtube the "Sniper 101" series. He has some videos talking through scope options. Most of what he discusses would be directly related to the types of questions you are asking. Only trying to help, not offend. :)

Here is a link to help you get started.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTca3wF35Og

No offense taken - I really appreciate your advice and will look him up.

I am pretty comfortable with my SFP stuff...but looking to see if their is a practical "crossover" here with the right reticle and FFP.......

Thanks again!

Okay so correct me if I am wrong by because I am still learning and would like to be able to make full use of my FFP scope. But the way I understand it is that you would need to know exact size of said object you are using as a reference .example a maybe a steel plate you are shooting at is 20" a known size.I am assuming if you call it that and it is really 24" your calculations for range would be off. And if you are using an animal as reference take an elk as example its chest could be 30" or maybe 36" tall? Therefore throwing your calulations off.?

The "known ranges"....that is a fact. None of the reticles are meaningful without the distance info.

There are some reticles I have seen that have mil/moa marks above the horizontal/horizon line. These are stated to be used to range the game. Then, using the lines below the vertical - the holdover is known....
Does that make sense?

No.

I think we are getting a little confused about the difference using mil marked FFP reticles for "Long Range Hunting"...and the current popularity o "'Extreme Long Range Tactical" shooting.
Have been viewing the video recommended by engineer40 - and I am going to watch all of them in that series. Long, but really really good tools for understanding the physics for those shots.
I am looking to shoot steel out to 1000 yards as a secondary use of this scope/gun combo.

But my primary interest is in LRH...and - I am seeing a trend among scope manufacturers - and some Long Range Hunters - toward the use of a more tactical style reticle - and borrowing some of the other tech. from tactical for LRH. That seems reasonable to me.

And - it will require a lot more reading, and testing...but everything I see thus leads me to believe that I should be able to translate the mil marks into +, - elevation/windage for hunting in a known elevation, and general weather range.

Here is how an old guy sees it

First Focal Plane: If you have been trained by the military it is what you are familiar with. Same with mils and moa and all the fancy reticles they have these days. I really see no real advantage to it.

Second Focal Plane: If you are old like me and grew up with a second focal plane scope it is what you are used to. Same with mil and moa. they both do the same thing.

Personally I prefer my reticle to stay the same size all the time no matter what power the scope is on. I don't want my crosshair growing and shrinking.

For ranging the military knows its target is going to be a 6' tall man. they can calculate the range pretty quick from that. With a variable second plane scope there is a set power that the reticle moa marks are correct. That is where you do your ranging. Holdover the same.

I seldom use the moa marks except for windage. I dial and I use a rangefinder for my yardage.

Both work equally well. Just what you are used to.

Okay so correct me if I am wrong by because I am still learning and would like to be able to make full use of my FFP scope. But the way I understand it is that you would need to know exact size of said object you are using as a reference .example a maybe a steel plate you are shooting at is 20" a known size.I am assuming if you call it that and it is really 24" your calculations for range would be off. And if you are using an animal as reference take an elk as example its chest could be 30" or maybe 36" tall? Therefore throwing your calulations off.?

Yes you are correct. Although I do not range with my reticles so I would not be able to tell you how far off your calculations could be. From what I've read in the past, some guys are great at ranging with a reticle. I haven't had a need to learn that skill yet.

The other benefit for your FFP scope is for holding off instead of dialing the turrets. On a SFP this has to be done at a specific magnification power. On a FFP it can be done at any power. A good example of this is many guys will dial their elevation on their turret, but then hold off windage using the reticle (because wind is so capricious). To keep it simple, if your ballistics software tells you that you need 1 Mil of wind correction right, on most scopes you can just hold on the first hash mark. Milliradian is an angular measurement. So you're not concerned with inches. If you need 1 Mil at 100 yards, or 1 Mil at 800 yards; it will be that first hash mark from the center.

Just because you have a milliradian scope, does NOT mean you need to use meters instead of yards. MRAD is an angular measurement.

You can also usually find your specific reticle measurements if wanting a better understanding. Here is an example of what I mean: (SWFA).

10_XReticle.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts