Need help ffp or sfp

Dbgreen04

I am new to long range shooting and have been doing a lot of research on scopes i will start off by saying that most of my shooting will be between 100-500 yards and I will be hunting coyotes foxes and bob cats but moving on I don't know what scope I should get I've been reading on sfp scopes and ffp scopes and I'm getting confused . For example if I have a sfp scope and they say they are only accurate at one power and let's say that power is 10x and my crosshairs are zeroed at 100 yds my first hash under my crosshairs is on at 200 my second hash at 300 and so on . Let's say I have a target at 200 yds and I zoom in to 20x will my first hash under my crosshairs still be accurate?
Also the scopes I've been looking at have been the millet lrs 6-24x50
The vortex crossfire 6-24x50 and s few more

The answer to your first question is no. An SFP reticle that has accurate holdoffs at 10X won't be accurate at 20X.

Regarding your scope choices, 6-24X is a lot of magnification for predators. If you're calling them, they should be within 200 yds or so. 4.5-14X would be ample and 4.5X would give you a wider field of view for critters that walk right up to you. Even a 3-9X would work - that's what I use most of the time.

Millet and Vortex Crossfire scopes are marginal mechanically, and the optics are prone to high glare and have low contrast, especially at magnifications above about 15X.

Personally, I would look at a lower magnification Burris scope at a slightly higher price range. Or I would look for a used Vortex Diamondback, Leupold VX-2, Burris E1, etc. Lots of opportunities in the used market.

I'd recommend looking through each type before you purchase. It's nice to have the constant subtensions of a FFP scope but there are tradeoffs. The reticle will appear very small/thin on low magnification and also pretty thick on high power. I personally don't like this, but lots of people don't mind it. I always crank up the power for long shots anyway so for me the FFP doesn't make much sense. To each his own though, it's all about personal preference.

A clarification: will sfp be accurate at other magnification than the one specified? The value of the subtensions will change with the power selected. Is it accurate? Yes, but at a different distance now. I have both kinds of scopes, and in the SFP model the first hash below center is 1.5 moa at maximum magnification. Drop the mag to half, and the hash is now 3 moa. 1.5 moa might be my drop at 275 from a 200 yard zero, but 3 moa is 345. You can work with any system if you put in the time to check all the calculations, and it will be "accurate" as long as you are using the right magnification for the right distance. With FFP, you only need to do the math one time, because the subtensions are always the same, no matter the mag setting. Look at the available reticle patterns in person if you can before buying, and check at all mag levels if previewing FFPs. My Vortex Viper HSLR FFP is good for everything from snap shots in brush at 30 yards to beating steel at 1175, I've done both with it. Others will say SFP only and forever. It comes down to personal preference in the end.

Before we had the Super range finders and had to rely on the mil dot for ranging the Front focal
plane scopes were the best for this type of ranging because the mil dot and/or reticle remained the same size no mater what power your scope was on.

The single focal plain is normally set up to be used as a range finder at full power only. So if you use it as a range finder you have to crank it all the way up.

With todays range finders, the choice becomes less important and for the most part the accuracy of the range finder is better than the mil dot or reticle, and with the ballistic information features it is faster.

So the choice is yours depending on the way you hunt.

J E CUSTOM

If you are hunting and need to take quick accurate shots at multiple distances than FFP is the best option. Otherwise screw around with magnification and risk losing a shot. Or really really get to known your SFP scope and rifle its on this can solve the issues, somewhat.

I'd recommend looking through each type before you purchase. It's nice to have the constant subtensions of a FFP scope but there are tradeoffs. The reticle will appear very small/thin on low magnification and also pretty thick on high power. I personally don't like this, but lots of people don't mind it. I always crank up the power for long shots anyway so for me the FFP doesn't make much sense. To each his own though, it's all about personal preference.

I concur. I have both types and for general hunting of deer/varmints I prefer SFP. I'm not a big knob twister and probably will never be;

Yeah... The sfp / ffp issue is one that really boils down to personal preference. I got a ffp scope this year and will never buy another sfp scope again in my life. I actually have another ffp scope I just bought which will be here by Saturday. It cost me a lot more than my standard sfp scopes, but personally, I love the tracking and hold over capability at all magnifications using mil/mil.

I started with the vortex viper pst ffp 6-24x50 with the EBR-1 reticle. It is an excellent scope fore it's price range. The only issue I have tossing it on my coyote rifles is that the lowest magnification range is too high. I wanted something that got me down around 4x for the close encounters that sometimes occurs when hunting Wiley. So I just picked up a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 hdmr with a qd Larue 111 and level for a little over 1200.00. The one thing I wish the new scope had was a lighted reticle like the vortex, but it's something I can live without. What mattered to me was ffp, magnification range and the Horus h59 reticle. Here in Idaho we deal with wind quite frequently. For distance, it's nice just to be able to holdover to adjust for wind calls without dialing. Twisting elevation and wind age knobs has gotten me busted too many times on Yotes that I just prefer using the reticle to make the shot. My vortex doesn't have the Christmas tree reticle so I've been guessing for wind calls, but I believe that the h59 should resolve that. Looking forward to trying it out.

My vote says ffp all the way... But again... There are others here that feel exactly the opposite. I just think it's faster for me to holdover than to dial... And it's surely a hell of a lot quieter!! Test both out and you'll find what "you" prefer!!

Good luck choosing and good glass as well!

-James

Excellent post from James /jboscobuys about the "new" Bushnells. I think they are a step up from the Vortex in features/reticles but the glass could be a little better. On point the problem with Vortex is the lack of low power...6x is way too much for anything that is in woods or moving. Bushnell: The H59 is amazing !!! But 32 oz is a bit much for a hunting scope. Bushnell must be giving them to LE because all the new tac guys are running them. Mil reticle only. At half the cost of NF there is no reason not to. I've never really had the need to go past 15x but do on occasion while spotting thru the scope. As a predator hunting scope I think any of the 4-20x, 5-20x, 6-25, etc. take themselves out of the mix because they need a lower bottom end. I put a Burris Fast Fire on top of my 5-25x Zeiss R-25 in 243 Win to get the close up running dog and pig but it's kind of bulky. The 2.5-16 Bushnell 6500 is a great power range but 2nd fp and marginal glass, 3-18x is ideal but the VX-6 line is 2FP as well. The Burris Veracity is FFP and has a small tree reticle and may be the next hit as it's in the $600 range I have not tried one out yet

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.