FFP or SFP Please vote

The shot was awesome the dialing by the operator was not :rolleyes: ya I'll put up a season ending thread but a 1200 yard shot is not a 1200 yard kill when you dial every thing but elevation correctly, just think of all the fun screw ups you have to look forward to since you got such a young start at it :D
Your optic will be fine, my dad shoot that reticle and it's really nice for all round shooting.
I had three screw ups at one time already this season.:rolleyes: jacked a shell out because it is muscle memory, didnt chamber one back in, left scope cover on, didnt take safty off. all when the herd of 15 elk were 100 yards away just staring at us. :rolleyes: lightbulb

But lets be honest about the good and bad points and what really increases the risk of a miss.

Jeff

Ok, for fun I will play along. :)

How about turret rotation error? Yes, zero stop pretty much fixes this if guys use it right but there are a lot of scope without zero stops that are used for LR hunting. So there is risk of error there.

How about just dialing the wrong number of MOA into the dial. Buck/Bull fever can do that just as easily as it loosing which holdover stadia line you should be using.

How about turret adjustment error? For those that don't check that can be an issue with using turrets vs the reticle.

How about the center crosshair of a SFP moving when changing power magnification?. Yes scopes shouldn't do this but many do if they aren't perfectly centered. I have seen this on higher end scopes too. FFP scopes don't have that issue due to where the reticle is located in the line of lenses.

How about reticle calibration being off at the calibrated power setting? If this isn't checked this can cause error issues. And if it is correct, if you drop the power by half does the reticle really double exactly or is there error there? There is usually error there.

There are positives and negatives to both and risk of error with all options. To me it is a matter of choosing your desired features, then using them a lot so you get used to them. I think that is the best regardless of what method is chosen. My issue is I like experimenting with many of them and some day that may end up costing me an animal, so maybe I need to practice what I preach!
:D

Scot E.

My HS LR has a reticle thickness of .08 MOA which is half of the FFP version and I've pushed it out on goats to 1200 yards on the nose, at a 1000 yards I feel the reticle thickness is a little heavy doubling it would not work for me, the numbers say it's small but when it's on game it's telling me something else. I've been holding for wind all year and been dead nuts on, not one issue holding wind with a SFP scope but I also know that when I'm turning my scope down I'm in a hunting situation that I'm not going to have time or need to hold wind, it's going to be point and shoot. If I have time to dial I have time to get my optic on the correct power so it has not been a hindrance at all.
I do like holding wind vs dialing, I screw up dialing wind even when I'm looking at the freaking dial, for targets I do still dial windage though.
So personally for me the reticle is way to thick on the FFP and I have not found a need to have the reticle stay the same at all powers, and I don't want a thin small reticle in dark timber on the lowest power and I get a free set of Nightforce rings with my SFP vs the cost of a FFP :D

I agree, I really like dialing elevation and holding for wind. I have screwed up the windage too and even more so I seem to always have quickly changing wind conditions and holding keeps me engaged on the target instead of getting out of my focus and rhythm by having to make small corrections every little bit on the dial.

BTW, the F1's come with NF ultralight rings included.

Scot E.

Bottom line is most shooters prefer SFP, and it takes only a quick look-through between FFP & SFP for them to adopt this preference.
Even if there was something better about FFP for LR shooting(and there isn't), shooters would still choose SFP. I think we, and competitors, choose SFP and also MOA instead of MILs for a very similar reason: PRECISION of aim.

Just for example
If this scope were FFP, you could not see the reticle at lower powers, nor the target at higher powers: Ultra-High Magnification 8-80x56mm March Riflescope « Daily Bulletin
Truly, FFP scopes will never match the potential of SFP scopes.

Bottom line is most shooters prefer SFP, and it takes only a quick look-through between FFP & SFP for them to adopt this preference.
Even if there was something better about FFP for LR shooting(and there isn't), shooters would still choose SFP. I think we, and competitors, choose SFP and also MOA instead of MILs for a very similar reason: PRECISION of aim.

Just for example
If this scope were FFP, you could not see the reticle at lower powers, nor the target at higher powers: Ultra-High Magnification 8-80x56mm March Riflescope « Daily Bulletin
Truly, FFP scopes will never match the potential of SFP scopes.

I could be wrong here but near the bottom of the page, the center picture with the FML-1 reticle, it is not the X series but the FX series which is FFP. The FML-1 reticle is an FFP reticle only and to my knowledge is only offered in the F and FX lines which are both FFP.

As a side note, that reticle dot subtends 1.7 inches at 1000 yards if it is indeed on one of their FFP scopes. Seems to me like a guy could use that dot and put that bullet just about anywhere he wanted to in the LR hunting game, especially at 1k and closer.

Scot E.

All I can say is WOW! I post a question before I leave on a hunting trip and get back to find a great discusion with 8 pages of VERY useful information. Based on this information I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA "SFP" today. I am gonna try it first and see if it suits my needs.
I can not thank everyone enough for all the great information. This is why I love this place!!!

All I can say is WOW! I post a question before I leave on a hunting trip and get back to find a great discusion with 8 pages of VERY useful information. Based on this information I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA "SFP" today. I am gonna try it first and see if it suits my needs.
I can not thank everyone enough for all the great information. This is why I love this place!!!
Let me know how you like that scope, i am 99% sure thats the scope im going with on a 284 Win for shooting deer/antelope to 800 yards, elk to 600 yards, and prarie dogs/coyotes/rocks as far as i can see'em!!

Let me know how you like that scope, i am 99% sure thats the scope im going with on a 284 Win for shooting deer/antelope to 800 yards, elk to 600 yards, and prarie dogs/coyotes/rocks as far as i can see'em!!

I got one...I love it...just need my rings to arrive so I can test it out shooting...glass and everything is great through

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.