Favorite elk rifle

laker

Lets see your guys favorite elk rifles and the specs on rifle and optics.

laker, Below is an answer I gave previously! Not just my elk rifle....my "only" hunting rifle! memtb

Remmy700 , I failed to give the rifle description! Winchester Model 70, 24" Douglas Match grade SS barrel (lightest recommended contour) "NO" muzzle brake, McMillan stock, Pachmyar Decelerator pad, 2 leaf folding rear sight, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS mounted in Leupold QD base/rings, chambered in .375 AI. Ready to hunt..... scoped, fully loaded, and slung, 9 pounds 1 ounce! Sub moa @ 300 yards from my backyard bench! Best 3 shot group @ 300...just under an inch! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel
"Available space.....is wasted case"!
grin.gif
memtb

laker, Below is an answer I gave previously! Not just my elk rifle....my "only" hunting rifle! memtb

Remmy700 , I failed to give the rifle description! Winchester Model 70, 24" Douglas Match grade SS barrel (lightest recommended contour) "NO" muzzle brake, McMillan stock, Pachmyar Decelerator pad, 2 leaf folding rear sight, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS mounted in Leupold QD base/rings, chambered in .375 AI. Ready to hunt..... scoped, fully loaded, and slung, 9 pounds 1 ounce! Sub moa @ 300 yards from my backyard bench! Best 3 shot group @ 300...just under an inch! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel
"Available space.....is wasted case"!
grin.gif
memtb
Good to see someone else, around here, follows Bob Hagel's writings.

Why do you guys always open up buckets of worms!!? I wish that I had a favorite "only use this one", but I don't. I have a 26 Nosler, 7mm RM, 7STW, .30 Gibbs, .300 SAUM, .300 RUM, .338WM, .338 RUM, .35 Whelen, 30-06, and .308 Win, and others, but those are the ones I would use on elk. I also have a 6.5 RM that would work, but I prefer heavier bullets than I can use efficiently it's short magezine. Okay, where were we? Oh yeah, favorite! Well if I could only have one, it might be my .300 Rum. Recoil tolerable and has good ballistics. But, if I anticipate extensive hiking over harsh terrain, I'm taking my M700 Ti .300 SAUM. With its Leupold ultra light 3-9 scope with the Boone and Crocket reticle, it's a joy to carry. Total weight unloaded is about 6 1/2 pounds and has ballistics right on the heels of the .300 WM. My other rifles have their merits and if I anticipate minamil hiking, I would probably take my custom built 7STW. I built it myself using a new M700 action, Broughton fluted 27 1/2 barrel, and an H&S Precision stock. Although I have other brands of scopes I prefer mostly
Leupolds. I prefer locked eye pieces. Although, I have been playing with the Sig "connect the dot scopes". I am going to try one a deer hunt in October. Above all, use a premium bullet especially in magnums. I have no doubt that I could cleanly kill an elk with my 6.5 RM, unfortunately, not all shots are broadside and I want a bullet that will penetrate and not disintegrate.
You know what? Come to think about, I just might have some guns for sale!

This year's Moose and Elk rifle is a used 1980 Remington model 700 BDL 6.5 A-square with 4-16 Votex

Normally I use my Remmy LR in 30/06 with Nikon 3-12x42 or my F Class / PRS Remmy 308 sporting a Sightron 6-24x50 optic,,, just enough Punch-Junk so long as I close the gap... Ha

The 6.5 A-square I'm sure will flatten the tires in the 2 to 300 range...

Cheers from the North

Stock 700 clip-fed .270 win. with Harrell's brake and Trigger-Tech Primary topped with a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x CDS in Talley LW mounts. Why the brake? I like to watch the hits.

Custom 8mm Rem Mag. 700 Remington action, trued and lapped, 26" Benchmark 1-9.5 twist, Triggertech trigger, McMillan classic stock with Limbsaver. Leupold 4.5-14x40 B&C. I shoot the 220 A-Frame at 3050, and it loves this bullet, often yielding half moa out to 500 meters (545 yards) It it a Thumper on elk, and that big A-Frame will reach the vitals from any sane angle, or through big bone. Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.