Favorite elk rifle

I was hoping you'd say one of your 280 AI's or 7mm RM. Hard to argue with a 300 or 338 RUM.
The 7RM is a tribute build. My father-in-law and I hunted together for 25 years. He carried his 7RM around for all those years and never killed an elk with it. He passed away 3 years ago, and asked me to build it like my rifles and kill an elk for him with it. Well, that fall, my younger daughter (14 at the time) was the first person to ever kill and elk with that rifle. The next year, I killed my bull with it. This year, my older daughter has an elk tag, and I hope to have her kill with it. That will only leave my son-in-law to complete the family quest....until my two grandbabies get old enough to kill with great-papa's rifle (they are 2 years & 8 months respectively now, so will be a while). But I will continue to carry it for myself for years and years to come.

The 7RM is a tribute build. My father-in-law and I hunted together for 25 years. He carried his 7RM around for all those years and never killed an elk with it. He passed away 3 years ago, and asked me to build it like my rifles and kill an elk for him with it. Well, that fall, my younger daughter (14 at the time) was the first person to ever kill and elk with that rifle. The next year, I killed my bull with it. This year, my older daughter has an elk tag, and I hope to have her kill with it. That will only leave my son-in-law to complete the family quest....until my two grandbabies get old enough to kill with great-papa's rifle (they are 2 years & 8 months respectively now, so will be a while). But I will continue to carry it for myself for years and years to come.
What a legacy. You are blessed!

Lets see your guys favorite elk rifles and the specs on rifle and optics.

laker, I failed to mention my wife's favorite elk rifle.....Her Winchester Model 70 SS .338 WM , still wearing the "tuperware" stock, the stock is cut to fit and Pachmyar Decelerator installed, 3.5-10 Leupold CDS in QD base/rings, running 225 Barnes TTSX's at 2950, the complete package weighing in at 8 pounds 15 ounces (scoped,loaded, and slung).

This also happens to be her only hunting rifle! memtb

Haven't taken an elk yet but here's hoping, I got drawn for antlerless this year. I'm going to be taking my favourite rifle, a savage 111 long range hunter in .300 win mag. It has a vortex crossfire 2 6-18 on it. Not the greatest scopes from what some have said but it was in the budget. With some pre existing sales on top of some Black Friday deals the rifle and scope barely broke 1000 Canadian!!!! I very seriously doubt I'll be able to realize the full potential of this combo as it is and I doubt there's many combos that could outdo it without being much, much more expensive. Savage and weatherby are my favourite rifles, bar none. The savages aren't sexy and I don't care, they outshoot most of the others for less money to boot. If I had a big budget for guns I wouldn't buy the pricier rifles, I'd probably just have a lot more savages and vanguards to play with.

I still have to determine what projectile it likes best from what I have to load in it. The two primary contenders are 210 accubond long range and 225 eld m. Hbn coated.

Calvin45, Absolutely nothing wrong with the rifle or the cartridge, and while the scope ain't a $2500.00 Nightforce....it's not a bad scope. My only potential negative comment, unless you will be hunting wide-open spaces exclusively ....you're a little "over-scoped"! 2 to 4 on the low end and 10 or 12 on the upper end is all the power you should ever need for elk. While not ideal...you can take an elk out to 400 yards with a 4X scope! The big power on the lower end is a bit of a handicap, if you find yourself hunting in timber! JMO. memtb

This was my original answer: I failed to mention.....250 grain TTSX's @ 3130 fps my! Shoots plenty far for my abilities! :)

Rifle description: Winchester Model 70, 24" Douglas Match grade SS barrel (lightest recommended contour) "NO" muzzle brake, McMillan stock, Pachmyar Decelerator pad, 2 leaf folding rear sight, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS mounted in Leupold QD base/rings, chambered in .375 AI. Ready to hunt..... scoped, fully loaded, and slung, 9 pounds 1 ounce! Sub moa @ 300 yards from my backyard bench! Best 3 shot group @ 300...just under an inch! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts