Favorite pack/frame to pack out elk

I love back pack hunting. I've found out a lot of guys like to brag they have the most expensive so it's the best. I've also seen these guys miserable when they got gear and meat equaling a 100+ pound pack. Packs are like boots. They gotta fit right. I hated my Eberlystock under heavy weight. It about killed me at the 100lb mark. My Kifaru was ok, but the belt didn't fit right and pack rode low on my skinny *** hips. So far Kuiu has been my favorite pack for fit and carrying heavy weight. 7 mile pack out to the truck last year with gear and half my bear + the head. My pack ended up at 118lbs. Nothing hurt or was uncomfortable. Packs fit us all different. Like good boots. You may go through a few to find that perfect forever pack set up.

BULL PAC

Best pack frame for moving meat, or anything heavy for that matter. A true workhorse of a pack.

I carry a silky saw, a mora knife and a game bag and come out heavy.
I have to agree on the Bull Pack. For strictly packing meat, it is hard to beat.

Attachments

• Elk Hunt 2006 016.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2006 016.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 53
Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame with a bag or just the frame is the best weight carrying pack I've ever used, IMHOP!

I had a freighter frame for 40 years. It was so beat up , bent and tyrapped together and belt rotted I through it away two years ago . I got an Alps frame, I don't know the name but I like it. Packed out 90 lbs with mule deer and a cow elk last year. Worked and felt good.

I use Mystery Ranch for pretty much all hunting. Elk, deer, moose, sheep, whatever I can get a tag for.

My three I use the most are the Marshall for 5+ days, the Metcalf for 3 days, the Pintler for colder 1 day outings, and the pop up 38 for warmer 1 day outings.
View attachment 494539
Bought a Pintler for day hunts. Good pack that fits good with a load shelf!

I run a Mystery Ranch with a couple different packs that fit on the same frame - Pintler and Metcalf are the packs. The frame and meat shelf work really great, zero complaints on how it handles a load that's as heavy as I can carry. The packs themselves are good and solidly made but the frame and the way they handle a load is what I care about most. Absolutely nothing wrong with the features, they are fantastic packs, just kind of nothing to note. Which is maybe a highlight? Usually when there's something to note about a pack it's a complaint!

The packs themselves are good and solidly made but the frame and the way they handle a load is what I care about most. Absolutely nothing wrong with the features, they are fantastic packs, just kind of nothing to note. Which is maybe a highlight? Usually when there's something to note about a pack it's a complaint!
That's how I see it too. Super simple packs, heavy duty zippers, bomb proof fabric.

I've never had anyone complain in real life about a properly adjusted Mystery Ranch pack. I've had my Marshall bag for some years with 100 and 100s of miles on it and some form of a pack out every year and no tears or excessive wear. Which I highlight because I've had a problem with in some of the other brands..

I do like the feel of stone glacier just as much. I have a sky 7200 on xcurve to get me past 5 days, so I don't always use this pack but still, I think the padding, buckles and zippers on the MR is better longevity wise.

Like others have mentioned, The Bull Pac is tough to beat for hauling meat. Two decades of use and my Bull Pac has never let me down.

20230909_073414.jpg
20230909_085207.jpg

Kuiu 2800. All 4 quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, neck meat, head, rifle, water, knives and saw. About 70#. No problem (except I am getting old AF).

20191122_111756.jpg

Eberlestock Blue Widow. If I know I am just going in to haul out game, this is a nice comfortable pack for me.This was a heavy pack out. 2 rear quarters, backstraps, tenderloins, some clothes, cape and head. Probably 90+#.

20170930_182007.jpg

Same Eberlestock Blue Widow. 3 trips of 3 miles each (1.5 out, 1.5 in) from 6:30pm to 3:30am. Head/cape, backstraps, tenderloins, neck. Rear/front, rear/front. Kicked my @$$. Worst night of packing ever.

20161119_104548.jpg

This Eberlestock Team Elk never fit me right. It was miserable to pack even 40-50#. I gave it away to a buddy who loves it.

I prefer the one that straps to a horse's back. Seriously. Over the years I've packed out several elk for hunters that thought they could pack an elk 8-10 miles on a backpack frame
Packing out an elk on your back is five trips. That's 40-50 miles with close to 100 lbs on your back for half the trips. I guess you can't fix stupid. I don't have a horse,but I also don't hunt elk 10 miles away from my camp.

Recent Posts