"Payment" for helping pack out an elk?

Always be ready to help out . A couple of years ago a hunter { probably in his 80sand using a walker ] came t help if i got a buck [AROUND 300 YARDS] did not get a buck but got a coyote .NOW THIS IS A TRUE SPORTSMAN . He was not there last year hopefully he did not pass away .

Any big game hunt i,ve ever been a part of,the meat was shared equally.I would not want it any way else...
Yup. Twice I've shot elk in the back country while hunting with a buddy, both times he did 50% of the work packing it out. I kept the antlers, meat was split 50/50. Have to remember that we were hunting together, and me shooting an elk and him helping meant he most likely was not going to have time left to fill his tag. It would seem an a-hole move to me to just give him some tenderloins.

Then there was the one time this happened with someone and they refused to help. They got nothing and we never spoke again.

I was invited to hunt NM when I lived in AZ. My "friend" drove, and got his deer on the 3rd day of a 5 day hunt. Four of us helped him haul out his deer, and he decided to leave the next day. I ended up going back to Albuquerque with my NM friends and taking the bus back to AZ. Pick your friends wisely.

When I was first dating my wife, she asked if she could have some deer meat for her dad to make jerky. I left a little in the fridge for her, but also left a hind quarter I was going to have smoked. Of course she grabbed the hind quarter. My father-in-law always liked me.

When I was first dating my wife, she asked if she could have some deer meat for her dad to make jerky. I left a little in the fridge for her, but also left a hind quarter I was going to have smoked. Of course she grabbed the hind quarter. My father-in-law always liked me.
Sounds more like your soon to be wife saw an opportunity to establish brownie points for you! Smart lady!!!

Pay it forward! Always good to see and meet good people in the field. I just recently had 2 older gentlemen ask if we needed help packing out a deer. We didn't but it was awesome they asked. Last one we were able to help on was my wife's muley hunt. Helped two other older gentlemen pack out their buck and load it and then went back to pack out my wife's buck! It's in the spirit of hunters to help each other out!

On a hunt in Colorado I shot a 5 x 5 running with another bull and on its death run.It crossed a four wheeler trail and a old man sitting on his four wheeler shot the elk when it was about to fall over dead which he admitted noticing as he shot. He said he was half asleep when the first Elk went by and managed to shoot in front of the second elk.His second shot he hit the elk. After walking up from tracking the elk and hearing the shots he was standing there still shaking.After talking a little bit he insisted the elk was mine. After helping quarter the elk and loading it onto his and his sons ATVs I let his sons know that I was not taking the elk as this was his first elk and he was 74 years old. His sons managed to sneak his tag from him and tag it before we were done loading it. As we finished I told him congratulations on his first bull and he started to get choked up and try to argue with me. With a happy smile on my face I said I already have a 5x5 rack on the wall plus this one has your tag and is loaded up on your ATV's. His sons told me that all he has ever talked about was killing a bull elk before he was to old.

Bowhunter #18, wow. I'm not sure I could be that generous. It warms my heart to know there are people that generous out there.

My buddy and I keep our deer to ourselves and agree beforehand to share our elk. It has nothing to do with the packing job. Sometimes I'll tell my buddy to keep hunting and I'll pack out the elk myself.

I concur with your first 2 sentences.

Done that with the solo pack out, rough country and most physically brutal thing I've ever done. The alternative was to potentially have to carry him out too!😂

I concur with your first 2 sentences.

Done that with the solo pack out, rough country and most physically brutal thing I've ever done. The alternative was to potentially have to carry him out too!😂
3 of us shot two elk a few years ago. Neither one succumbed to my rifle. My brother and nephew went after a bull while I packed out a cow. It was two miles but I had a trail and a game cart(narrower than the game cart wheels...) so it wasn't horrible. I was offered a front shoulder which I accepted, reluctantly. It was just fun to be a part of it at my advanced age.