Straight jacket armory?

To me Ocala is the cut for central Florida, anything north of that is north Florida. Especially since from High Springs to the state line is only an hour.
FL hunting regulations label it as central FL as do people who live in FL. It may be an hour to the west coast border, but it's over 3 hours to the northern border. Call it like it is, not how you'd like it yo be.

Last edited:
FL hunting regulations label it as central FL as do people who live in FL. It may be an hour to the east coast border, but it's over 3 hours to the northern border. Call it like it is, not how you'd like it yo be.
Florida hunting regs are done in zones. I think you must be confused. High Springs isn't far from Gainesville and right up 75 at the State line in Georgia is Lake Park. You can map it if need be, but I travel that stretch of 75 very frequently. Oh I do live in Florida and have for 47 years now. That is how it is, not how you want it to be.

Florida hunting regs are done in zones. I think you must be confused. High Springs isn't far from Gainesville and right up 75 at the State line in Georgia is Lake Park. You can map it if need be, but I travel that stretch of 75 very frequently. Oh I do live in Florida and have for 47 years now. That is how it is, not how you want it to b
I stand corrected. Looked at my FL map again and Gainesville is close to north FL, but as you said it is in the Central Hunting Zone, confusing. I also live in FL and Gainesville is a 7.5 hr drive for me from NW FL, so I subconsciously viewed it as further south. I've driven it many times for college graduations. I was excited to hear of a good gunsmith close to me (N FL), but was then disappointed to see it was close to Gainesville and still too long a drive. So, use of the postal service it would need to be.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Looked at my FL map again and Gainesville is close to north FL, but as you said it is in the Central Hunting Zone, confusing. I also live in FL and Gainesville is a 7.5 hr drive for me from NW FL, so I subconsciously viewed it as further south. I've driven it many times for college graduations. I was excited to hear of a good gunsmith close to me (N FL), but was then disappointed to see it was close to Gainesville and still too long a drive. So, postal service it would need to be.
All good sir. Alex has a reputation that is second to no one. And in my opinion, worth the drive. Looks like you are in the panhandle so yeah he would be 7.5 hrs round trip plus time spent there.

Has anyone worked with straight jacket out of Wyoming? I've spoke with them and they sound like upstanding people. Looking to get a barreled action spun up. I'm out of Florida does anyone have any recommendations for gun smiths who can chamber and install a barrel? Thank you
Nine run gun he's one of the best in South Georgia and Joe walls in Jacksonville Fl

I'm surprised with all the crapping on sja. Anybody in business knows that you're going to have unhappy customers when doing volume. Some people just can't be happy and don't want to understand that people arnt perfect. Sja does stand behind there work and will help you out. It may not be that day or maybe that week but they WILL get back and make things right.

Altus rifles are in around the Alabama and Florida line north of PC
Altus is in Baker FL near Crestview. If you need a new rifle built, they'll build you a new one, but they aren't interested in upgrading a rifle you already own. They are located 30 minutes from me and I just had this discussion with them face-to-face a couple weeks ago. They build good rifles as I understand, but I have not bought a rifle from them. They primarily assemble rifles from components for mail order only. Their only gunsmith works out of his home shop now.

Last edited:
I have a buddy that got a 22 creedmoor done by straight jacket and it flat hammers as well. I feel like sja is as good as anyone else out there. I can also say I had a very reputable f class gun smith build me a rifle without saying any names and it shoot like crap for the money I spent on it. So that goes to show bad work can come from anywhere. SJA always been quick with getting any barrels I've gotten from them to me and they hammer. By the way I am not sponsored or nor have I ever met anyone there just talked on the phone.

I've worked with SJA! Couldn't be happier. I was lucky enough to come across a FB post of a Remington 700 accurizing package Straight Jacket Armory was offering. I contacted them via messenger and was amazed at the fast response. I called the shop and spoke with Nick. He was unbelievably knowledgeable and nothing but helpful with recommendations and soon a dream of mine was becoming a reality for much less cost than I could've ever imagined. I worried that once they got my parts in I would end up being nickeled and dimed to death. Boy was I wrong. They stuck to the estimate and sent me pictures all along the way as my build progressed. Truly a family ran business. Nick worked on my rifle, Tristen did all of The stock work and Nicks daughter Carly even did the sand blasting on my barrel. I found that pretty awesome, not sure how many family owned and operated businesses are left. I had my rifle back within a few weeks. I highly recommend Straight Jacket Armory for your rifle smithing needs. They will take care of you and treat you with respect.