Elk BUllet

Greg Duerr

My Creedmoor has really been shooting the new 143gr ELD-X bullets

I have never used them on Game and was wondering if anyone has. I would guess and say that they would be just as effective as the 140gr Bergers..........Just a guess.

Any idea's

We have taken elk with the burger 140 VLDs but at the same time one took two shots and another got up after a few minutes and got away before we could get set up again. Both were shots that hit the shoulder at 776 yards with Remington SA ultramag shooting 3200 fps. I know elk are taken down regularly with 6.5s but it takes an accurate hit to bring them down at longer distances and the difference beteen shoulder and vitals is only a few inches and with any wind can be a difficult shot. Would be much more comfortable with 180gr or larger 7mm or 200gr or larger 30 caliber with magnum loads. I know that may not sit well with a lot of hunters and we have effectively killed several elk with a 270; would still not hesitate to use these medium calibers out to 500 yards or so. As technology makes it possible to take longer and longer shots I have become a believer in larger bullets for elk when taking long shots (>500 yards). 338 even better.
If selecting a 6.5 at an effective range I am comfortable with 140gr Accubond or 142 LR, partition and Berger VLD or hybrid (no experience with elite hunter). I know there are others but I have experience with and trust these.

Greg

I've got to agree with JTB on this one. I've got a 264 WSM that shoots the 143 ELD-Xs really well and I have no plans to go after elk with that rifle. Elk are tough so if elk are the quarry I switch to the 338 RUM. With elk overkill is good.

At Creedmore speeds you'll likely see similar results on elk, the ELD opens sooner so your on side damage and entrance is larger from what I've seen. I've shot a good number of elk with the 140 Berger and never had to shooting twice but as was mentioned shot placement is far more critical, if you are a shoulder shooter I would suggest a 338 because that is the only thing I've seen be consistently awesome when shooting through an elk shoulder.

At Creedmore speeds you'll likely see similar results on elk, the ELD opens sooner so your on side damage and entrance is larger from what I've seen. I've shot a good number of elk with the 140 Berger and never had to shooting twice but as was mentioned shot placement is far more critical, if you are a shoulder shooter I would suggest a 338 because that is the only thing I've seen be consistently awesome when shooting through an elk shoulder.

^^^^Yep. Shot a couple elk with my 6.5 this year and passed up on some longer shots when I wasn't 100% sure I could get it behind the shoulder. The 6.5 does seem to work pretty good though with a shot behind the shoulder in the vitals. I shot mine with a 135 classic hunter FWIW.

I kinda agree, though I shoot 300WBYMAG and it's been a very good anchor round. Have not had one run on me yet after 10years of hunting them.

I've seen elk run after being shot and haven't fallen or have fallen down but get back up and run away by:

7mm mag
6.5x284
300WM
300WSM

They all still get the job done, but it sucks to have to fetch them higher up the mountain.

Upon further review, looks to be an accubond and they are pushing it for Elk and Deer...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.