Elk Bullet

chain

I am going on my very first Elk hunt this year. I am a little fired up, to say the least. Taking my 300 win, the meat getter. My question is to you guys who have "been there and done that" which bullet? My rifle shoots 200 gr Accubonds and 210 Bergers almost identically, the Berger might be .25" better @ 300. Thanks

I don't have any experience with Bergers, but your 200 gr Accubond will work fine. I've shot a pretty good pile of elk with 180 gr Partitions from my .30 Gibbs.

I used 160 gr Accubonds in my 7mm Rem mag for caribou, musk ox, a pile of African plains game, and for my elk last year. They worked great.

My elk bullet this year will be a 180 gr Barnes TSX from my .300 Wby.

They would both be work but the Accubond is a tougher bullet for those closer shots but still works for the the longer shots

I've taken several elk with the 30 cal 180gr TSX and the 338 cal 225 & 250 gr Accubonds. I picked up a 300 RUM this spring and it shoots 210gr Bergers sooooo good I believe that's the bullet I'm gonna try this fall if I hunt with that rifle. If it shot 200 ABs equally well I think that's the way I would go.
But it gonna be hard to leave my 338 RUM in the case on opening morning.

Phil

I've shot mule deere and elk with 208 Amax that's a paper punching bullet I know yada yada they were from 60 yards to 100 yards. If the Amax will drop them in their tracks and it's a paper puncher, then the 210 grain berger will no doubt get the job DONEgun)

Take the 200g AB.

Used it out of my 300 RUM at 3200fps to take a few elk, furthest being 525 yards. If your looking for a bullet that will fully penetrate through shoulders leaving a baseball size hole then this is your bullet. If you want a bullet that will literally explode in the elk and might not exit, then use the Berger.

I have used Accubonds on plenty of moose and a few elk and they work very well. I think they are averaging about 75-80% weight retention for me. These have all been from a .300 Win Mag and a .300 Wby Mag. I have also used the .264 Win Mag and .338 Lapua on moose but they were shooting 140 gr and 215 gr Sierra Gamekings respectively.

I haven't used Bergers yet but when I build my .260AI I will try them out.

For the elk the Accubond is a great bullet and with a BC of over .500 for a 180 gr in a .30 cal you can`t go wrong.

Ivo

I like the Elkubond :D, dropped last years elk in its tracks at 528 yards. shot from a 300 ullta at 3450 fps.

i have only been hunting elk for about 5 years, but my dad has been hunting them for 25 years. if you are only shooting elk at 300 or less both of these round or almost any round on the market that will shoot a decent group and weighs at least 150 grains will do. I have been using Noslers ballistic silver tips though and my gun likes them and the elk hate em.
me or people i have been with have shot 5 elk in the last 2 years and they have all been with the ballistic silver tips 150gr from a hundred out to 300 yards and they have all been one shot to drop them and one shot from a couple yards away to finish them off.

the most important thing to remember when hunting elk is good shot placement. where i hunt i can have them run very far (to many hunters willing to tag my animals) so i use a high shoulder shot so i break the spine. this is a shot that will work with almost any thing you hit them with. Either i hit the animal and it's dead or i miss. and for those best of the west guys no that isn't where i heard this first my dad has used this idea for years and has been able to kill many elk in his days of hunting.

If i had to pick between the two bullets you are talking about i would take the one that is more accurate and the max range you expect to shoot. that is what matters the most as long as you have a bullet that will carry enough energy (you don't have a problem there :D)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.