Bullet for elk ?

Red hunter

I am going on my first elk hunt and would like some opinions on bullets. I plan on using a 7mm rem mag with a 175 sierra game king or savage in 308 with a 165 grain sierra game king. Are the game king spitser bullets a good choice or should I work a load for a different bullet ?

The 308 with the 165 shoots at 2750. looking at some charts using IMR 4064 velocity for the 180 would be in the 2500 and the 200 would drop into the 2300 range. Those slower velocities kinda scare me considering I plan on changing out the scope from one that I can dial in some MOA to a Nikon BDC. The 180 seems like the better choice. The scope change is just to take a variable of dificulty out of the hunt.

There are MUCH better powders out there these days for the 308. 4064 while great, is easily beatable.

With 24" bbls, we get 2700+ from 180s, mid 2600's for 190's and mid 2500's for 200s. I typically run 26" barrels and get even more. 2750 for the 175-178, 2700 for the 190's, and over 2600 for the 200's.

You will need to look at RL17, VV-N540, VV-N550. VARGET can get you close to those numbers but not quite as high.

What kind of 308 do you have? What bbl length and what twist?

M

Shot a bunch of elk with Serria bullets...punch the lungs and they are done...but I don't like them if I have to shoot though the shoulder or a quartering away shot...for distance and penetration, I am going to try Accubonds in my .30 cal. rifles...I have shot several elk with this bullet in my .340 and one with my .300 Wea. all penetrated well, and they fly as flat as Serria's...to me you cannot loose with this combo.....

You could still hit 2450-2500 with 22" of barrel using the 200SGK. As Wyo. Coyote stated, the ACCUBONDS are another good choice. Personally I still prefer the SGK in the 308 due to the softer, quicker expansion since you dont have as much starting velocity. That said, I have had great luck with the 150 ACCUBOND in my 308. My cousin shot clean through both shoulders of a good sized bull moose at 612 yards. MV was only 2820ish. Thats about as far as you will have adequete expansion in a 308 with that bullet. They have also cleanly killed dall rams and mule deer. Exit wounds have been awsome. I would not be afraid of the 150 ACCUBOND. Others may argue but it will get it done.

If I anticipated close to medium ranged shots on an elk hunt, I would not feel under gunned with the 150 ACCUBOND. If I anticipated shots on the longer side, the 200SGK would be my only other choice for the 308.

150 TSX or TTSX would be my first choice in the 308. The 308 would be my SECOND choice of rifles since you mentioned the 7mag. Regardless, take both. You never know what may happen to a rifle while on a trip. I ALWAYS take 2 rifles!

Juice up the 150 TSX over the fastest powder you can find which will likely be Reloder 15 or 17. I like IMR4064 as it is my go-to powder for the 308 and since I have it on hand, I'd load up as much powder as the rifle will tolerate, then find the best seating depth for best accuracy. Even if accuracy is only so-so. Varget is another EXCELLENT choice.

You could also consider the 168 TSX/TTSX. These bullets will open readily on any elk. I'd prefer a Hornady boat tail 165 over any Sierra. Those Hornadys are not likely to roll back beyond the cannelure. Great bullets.

Other great choices would be an Aframe, AB, or Scirocco.

As for the 7mag, I like the mid range bullet wts for it and not the 175. I'd shoot a 160 class bullet with H1000, Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, VV N165 or 4831 or 7828. H1000 and Retumbo would be my top choices.

If you are wanting great velocity and not too concerned about temp variations, definitely look at Reloder 22. I LOVE this powder.

I will recheck with outfitter but i believe shot range will be 350 an under. i have shot many deer with the 150 SGK and like the performance of the bullet. the only other bullet I have used is the cor lokt which performed great but never used it over 200 yards. Went to the Sierra when started shooting longer ranges, 300 to 600 yards. I figured with the BDC scope 3 inch high at 100 I would be pretty comfortable with any shot to 300 yards

Both rifles are definately making the trip and the 7 mag is the primary. Like you said you never know what can happen, a slip and fall and bounce a scope off the ground and the hunt is over due to confidence in accuracy. I was not sure of bullet selection for game of this size and wanted to know what was being used in the 308 by other hunters. Thanks for the info.

I started hunting with Seirra's in the early 60's then switched to the Nosler PT, have never felt the need to use another bullet. I use the 175 PT in my 7 and my 308 is loaded with 165's. I mostly hunt with a win mag with 180 PT

Michael, I think I would still stick with Accubond...even in 150 it will stick together according to my pals..one of my former students shot a bull with a 150 out of a .30 caliber mag...excellent results...the only true failures I have had on elk have been with Serrias when I had to shoot though heavy meat or bone...don't get me wrong, if I only hunted game up through say mule deer they would be my choice...I love 'em, but I want the added insurance of the bullet that will drive though heavyshoulders for a hit in the spine or chest...from what I hear, they are to expand at low speed also...so should work in the .308...don't know about that as it is one of the few calibers I have never tried..

Best of luck on your hunt!

For the 308 I would pick either a 150 or 165 gr. Accubond or Partition and I'd feel very confident with either one.

For the 7mm it would be the 160 gr. Partition or Accubond. My dad has shot nothing but 160 gr. Partitions in his 7mm and it always works perfectly. I do really like the Accubond though and feel it will hold together and penetrate nicely for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts