Bullet for elk ?

My 7mm Dakota killed two bulls this year. One at 400yds one at 505yds with the 180grn VLD. One dropped on a lung shot in 5 seconds the other went right down.

The only 2 deer I've ever lost in over 20 years of hunting with rifle, bow, crossbow, handgun, were shot with Nosler Accubonds. Just sayin.

1 was shot at 45 yards, the other at 98.

Derek,

I guess you don't like the accubonds...... hahhaahha I am glad I asked my guy to work up a load for the 250 scenars!!!!

I haven't read thru the entire post so forgive me if this has already been covered. The Swift Scirrocos are very good elk bullets if your rifle will group them. Also, if you aren't looking for a super high b.c., the old tried and true Nosler partitions are still a very lethal bullet.......Rich

Since the question was first asked the weather here has been pretty wet and cold, so I have not had time to go to the range and work any loads. I did have time to order a new Savage 300 win mag. Took it today to local shop for muzzle brake install. Should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks. I think I will try the Barnes 180 TTSX first after break in. If they wont shoot I will try the Accubond then the Core Lockt or the Sierra. I am not real sure about the Bergers becuse of the seating depth, not fond of the idea of bullet touching the lands. Now the big decision will be which rifle to take as a back up.

Curious as to why you don't want the bullet touching the lands? As long as its only a few thou, there is no danger of sticking in the chamber. Also, some rifles shoot the vld's very well off of the lands. Not trying to sell you on Bergers.......Rich

I am going on my first elk hunt and would like some opinions on bullets. I plan on using a 7mm rem mag with a 175 sierra game king or savage in 308 with a 165 grain sierra game king. Are the game king spitser bullets a good choice or should I work a load for a different bullet ?

Of the two cartriges, I would use the 7 Rem Mag.

Lots more energy and better trajectory.

I would try to make the 160gr Accubond shoot because it would have the best all round
energy and trajectory plus it is a bonded core bullet.

The gameking bullets are good bullets but I find them to be inconsistent as far terminal
performance because the jackets are not bonded to the core.

Look at energies and trajectories of all the loads suggested and it will become obvious
to you which would be best.

I would base my decision on a delivered energy of 1500 ft/lbs minimum, for maximum
distance used.(What is the maximum distance that a particular load and bullet combo
reaches a minimum of 1500 ft/lbs)

On the issue of seating depth that came up, I believe that seating all hunting ammo .020
shorter than the magazine length ends up being the best plan all round. loads this length
can be made very accurate and trouble free.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM

I am not real sure about the Bergers becuse of the seating depth, not fond of the idea of bullet touching the lands. Now the big decision will be which rifle to take as a back up.

Out of all the rifles I load for , set up and own, many of them shoot Bergers for hunting. Only my sons 300 win has the bullets touching the lands. All of the others are from .015" all the way to .115" off the lands. The Weatherby chamberings with factory freebore are more like .180" off the lands.

Rich is correct, the old ways of jaming them is not the norm any longer. Especially with the new Hybrid O-gives. I would not deprive your new 300 win of a chance to shoot it's best. Give it a chance with some 210 VLD's or some 230 Hybrids. For what it's worth we have taken many elk with these bullets at all distances.

Jeff

I guess I maybe slightly misinformed on the Bergers. Most of what I have been told by others that shoot them or have read [ even the companies own information on loading] it'a a rarity that they will do ok not touching the lands. I felt that if this is the case there maybe an issue with them fitting in the magazine or have a feeding problem or like you said one sticking in the barrel causing a major foul up of my action during a hunt.

I guess I maybe slightly misinformed on the Bergers. Most of what I have been told by others that shoot them or have read [ even the companies own information on loading] it'a a rarity that they will do ok not touching the lands. I felt that if this is the case there maybe an issue with them fitting in the magazine or have a feeding problem or like you said one sticking in the barrel causing a major foul up of my action during a hunt.

That is old methods. Read this from Eric Stecker @ Berger.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

Also note that is the recent past Berger has released the " Hybrid" 0-give line of bullets that were designed to be less sensitive to seating depths. This allows for use in shorter mag boxes and has made load work up easier.

In my 338 LM the 300 Hybrid shot every single shot into 1/2 moa groups when seated from .015" off the lande to .065" off the lands. I settled for the lowest ES as all groups were outstanding.

Jeff

Broz,
I read that a little while ago and thought about it for a bit. Maybe the part of my brain that over annalizes took over and came up with a couple questions that I did not ask and could not answer myself.

Where do you start with powder load? What powder to use? Will I have to work a load for each seating depth? Or do I just load one powder weight for all the depths then take the best group and work a load for it? If I can't get a good load for that depth move to the next best group and work another load?
I may have talked myself out of a good thing.

I have bought 100 pieces of new brass and prepped it and loaded it to fire form to the chamber and for barrel break in.

Any advice on these questions is welcome

Rifle info: Savage 300 win mag, mag contour barrel, 24 inch with 10 twist.

bought this rifle with the reasoning that barrel changes are relatively easy and not out of reason prices for heavier barrels for future.

Red hunter, I would start with a proven powder that is not temp sensitive such as H4831, or H1000. I then like to determine what a max charge is with a given load by shooting two shot groups. I would then back off about 3 grains under max and keeping everything consistent, try several different seating depths from just into the lands, if you are shooting vld's, and then backing off about .020" per load. Shoot at least 3 shots min. and see what groups the best up to max. I would then repeat that load and load .010" each way for seating depth and try again. When you have determined the best seating depth, change your powder charge by increasing in 1 gr. increments until you reach max and again, choose the best group and load 1/2 gr. each way from there. You can then try another powder starting with your best seating depth.
Everyone has a little different approach, but this works for me. For long range, try to find a combo that has a low e.s. and at distance, a low vertical spread on target. You can play with primers to fine tune a little further at this point if you want....Rich

Go to reloading section. Read the sticky on Berger bullets, reread has pages of good info. I shoot 300 otm @ .005 off. my cartridge was designed for the 300 gr. bullet specifically. I have shot 1'' at 400 yrd. with said bullet. We shot 3 animals this fall w/ bergers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.