Bullet for elk hunting.

Not sure what range you will be hunting to, but I would run the 137g Hammer Hunter or the 150 Power Hammer.

Not sure what range you will be hunting to, but I would run the 137g Hammer Hunter or the 150 Power Hammer.

I'm told that I'm looking at 200-500 yards for shots in this spot. My first time there buddy has been hunting there for a while.

Hey everyone got a elk hunt coming up soon and trying to figure out the best bullet for it. I prefer to buy from small businesses. Rifle is a 308 win with a 24" barrel. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Welcome to LRH, and enjoy! Where are you hunting? Lead or lead-free? If lead-free, here are other small businesses.

https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-t-7.62-168.htm

-- https://www.cavitybackbullets.com/product-p/cb-mkz-308win-168-ammo.htm

https://drtammo.com/product/drt-terminal-shock-30-cal-175gr-projectile-50pcs/

-- https://drtammo.com/product/drt-308-137gr-terminal-shock-ammunition-20-rounds-copy/

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

It's Idaho so I can run whatever I want. Only lead free I've used is Barnes. Usually hunt with partitions or core lokts. Unfortunately bullets can be hard to find so I'm looking at different options. Thought this might be a good place to ask. I appreciate your help I'll have to check out the bullets you listed and the ones above listed.

It's Idaho so I can run whatever I want. Only lead free I've used is Barnes. Usually hunt with partitions or core lokts. Unfortunately bullets can be hard to find so I'm looking at different options. Thought this might be a good place to ask. I appreciate your help I'll have to check out the bullets you listed and the ones above listed.
Perfect! It is always nice to hunt in an area without bullet restrictions - more options. If I were you, I would stick with what you already know what works for you. What are the bullets that are readily available for you?

Just ran some quick numbers. The 137g Hammer Hunter should run about 3100 fps. At standard atmosphere at 3500' elev the 137g Hammer Hunter will have an impact of about 1950 fps at 500y. Very capable, this would be my choice.
I've heard of hammer bullets but I'm not really familiar with them. How is the performance at 1950 fps? How low do they expand reliably? Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Perfect! It is always nice to hunt in an area without bullet restrictions - more options. If I were you, I would stick with what you already know what works for you. What are the bullets that are readily available for you?
Unfortunately trying to get what I normally use is hard. I've mainly been using core lokts but trying to get them is hard. I know of some but they are trying to charge a ridiculous amount. I used Barnes for a bit but wasn't very impressed. A good bull elk is on my bucket list. So finding a good bullet especially one I can get so I can shoot and practice is important. It seems like some of the smaller companies are the ones who actually have bullets in stock. I also like helping small businesses grow so I figured it would be best to go that direction. I'm open to any good bullet lead core or copper lead free. I just want something I can get and performs well. Thanks for your help.

Elk and .308 Win, there are a lot of good ones out there, but.. the 30 Caliber 165gr Partition has been doing a great job for a long time, this would be my choice for most hunting ranges with the .308 Win ballistic game range. It'll do a fine job. Good luck... Cheers

Hey everyone got a elk hunt coming up soon and trying to figure out the best bullet for it. I prefer to buy from small businesses. Rifle is a 308 win with a 24" barrel. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Not sure what twist you're running, but our 135gr Afterburner will be good all the way down to a 1:12" twist and would be great on elk out of the 308 Win. From a terminal performance standpoint, that should cover you for ranges out to 700 yards or so.