Boots for Elk Hunting?

RugerHawg413

I am going elk hunting later this year out west, and I need some good boots for walking that are comfortable and waterproof. Also, they probably need to be 700 to 1,000 thinsulate. Thanks for all the info!

Boots are completely subjective. I would highly suggest you go try on as many as you can. They need to fit, then ask and read the reviews on the boots that fit you the best. Keep your feet dry is very important to keep them warm. To much insulation could equal sweat, sweat equals cold.

All very good info.
Make sure they fit YOUR feet, and unless you are hunting late season at high altitudes you may want to rethink how much insulation you want. It's easy to change socks depending on the days weather.
Obviously, make sure they are waterproof. I prefer all leather boots for this reason and I'll refresh the SnoSeal right before a hunt.
The other thing is do not go cheap on footwear! Sore feet WILL make the hunt miserable.
I've had good luck with Danners.

Good luck!

I am going elk hunting later this year out west, and I need some good boots for walking that are comfortable and waterproof. Also, they probably need to be 700 to 1,000 thinsulate. Thanks for all the info!

What season is the hunt in, and what state? That is alot of insulation. I would make sure whatever your doing needs a boot like that. Sweat is cold, dont get sweaty.

I personally have a pair of insulated Crispi Nevada boots and LOVE them. My feet get sweaty during early seasons, but the insulation and socks keep my feet warm. I have only hiked a few hours in cold temps (10*) with snow with them and they did great.

I'm a danner believer I have non insulated and insulated in cold weather rain and snow I use 400 insulation dry proghorn

You don't mention budget. Any of the top name boots are great in terms of build, comfort and performance. I have often compared buying boots to buying good glass. Once you get into the top tier, you wonder why you waited so long to pull the trigger on them. I own a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guide and they bring a smile to my face every time I pull them on. Lowa, Crispi, Schnee's, Hanwag, etc. are all top tier boots.

If the best is not in your budget, or does not make sense because this is a 'once in a lifetime' hunt, then I have found that both Danner and Meindl (at Cabela's) make a great mid-tier boot that will take good care of you. Good luck on your hunt.

When I first started elk hunting I wore Danner leather boots. They were the bomb and lasted for years. I don't think they sell them now, or they've cheapened them up by building them overseas.

Since then I've hunted elk with Danner Canadians. They're all leather, w/ 600 grams of insulation I think, and the are HEAVY. Built tough as hell, but heavy.

I've also hunted in NM twice for elk and used Lowa Tibet GTX - Mid's and I love them! A great boot, tons of support but w/o insulation. But it was in NM which is pretty warm...normally.

I have a pair Schnee Hunter's which are really nice, warm, lots of traction, but very little ankle support. I can't wear them elk hunting because of the lack of support. They're wonderful for still hunting/sneaking through the woods after white tails though. Just no support for mountain hunting.

About ten years ago a dislocated my left ankle and broke by Tib-Fib. Since then my ankle doesn't have the strength that it used to. So I need my boots to be very stiff to compensate for it. My next boot will be either a Lowa Tibet GTX - High, or similar, with insulation. I think both Crispi and Kenetrek make something similar. These would be great elk hunting boots. Lots of ankle support, insulated, water proof and very high quality.

Last edited:
I've had great luck with Meindl boots. I don't think you will be happy with any boot with over 400 grams of insulation if you are going to be doing much walking or climbing.The Quality of your sock system also play an important part of the equation. Elk hunting is right behind Chukar hunting as far need for good boots go, I was told once to take all your money and buy good boots then with what you have left buy a shot gun!

I hunt high country for elk and deer. I owned danner most of my life. My hunting partner is beast and hikes the major mountain ranges around the world and wears salomon boots. I thought he was crazy, but then I bought a pair and they feel great. Mine are the cs winter for real cold. Next is a pair of quest 4d or ultra 3 gtx for mid weather. Doesn't hurt to try a pair.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.