Suggestions for a good elk hunting boot

We will be going to Montana elk hunting the week before Thanksgiving. We are expecting (preparing for) snow so Im looking for a good warm, water proof but lite pair of boots that would be good for putting miles on each day. I have warm gore tex boots I use here in PA but I dont do much of any walking with them and know they are way too heavy for mountain hiking in the snow.

Id appreciate any suggestions.
Budget?

I have had a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Guide boots with 400 Thinsulate for over 12 years. They have held up great and the lugs on the soles are barely worn. For rough and steep terrain, they offer excellent support. Even though the sole is pretty stiff, they are very comfortable for long hikes. One thing I noticed was they required almost no break-in. They just fit from the start. The only negative I have is that if I plan on doing more sitting and glassing/waiting than hiking in sub freezing temperatures, my feet get cold. But this is the case with every boot I have had with this little of insulation. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

thanks for all the replies. I have a pretty good place to start. Keep the suggestions coming

Have worn Zamberlans for over eight years, no blisters, wet or cold feet in the Wyoming mountains.
We will be going to Montana elk hunting the week before Thanksgiving. We are expecting (preparing for) snow so Im looking for a good warm, water proof but lite pair of boots that would be good for putting miles on each day. I have warm gore tex boots I use here in PA but I dont do much of any walking with them and know they are way too heavy for mountain hiking in the snow.

Id appreciate any suggestions.
I'd like to add that you will want to be prepared to spend another 50-80 dollars on a good insole. Most high end boots (crispi,hanwagLowa) come with thin hard inserts. A good insert may require a half size larger boot from my experience with the above listed boots

I'd like to add that you will want to be prepared to spend another 50-80 dollars on a good insole. Most high end boots (crispi,hanwagLowa) come with thin hard inserts. A good insert may require a half size larger boot from my experience with the above listed boots
Absolutely. I went with SOLE insoles. Heat them and conform to your foot. Another thing you should try on boots especially the Italian made ones. I tried the same brand boot in the same size and model. I found that there were differences between them. The individual salesman at the store advise me as he was fitting me up.

Schnees Granites. I have been using the uninsulated one for 4 years and ordered the 200 grams for this years for options. I have wide feet and high arches. These are by far the most comfortable boots I've ever had. 4-5 miles with 65lb pack no problem. Great side hilling as well.
I bought a pair of the 200 gram insulated version recently. I like the support. I'll be taking them on a CO Mule Deer hunt in November. I think they'll be perfect!

I love the asolo 525 gtx
fit me like a glove

some asolo have tight tow box

lowa has generous toe box

my experience is that when you put it on a nice expensive boot…..it better feel perfect right away
or keep looking

I did a 7 day 142 mile walking trip in the UK a few years ago
my feet swelled up so bad at the end I could barely put my boots back on…..give yourself some wiggle room

Fairly open
My son purchased the lacrosse windrosse with 600 gram thinsulate and he really enjoys them. I hunt uninsulated in some under armour valsettes and am very please with them. Just use good sock. I am planning to purchase the La Sportiva Nucleos this season. They are the most comfortable waterproof hiking book I have ever put on my feet!