Bullet suggestions for elk

165 partition with 4350 is a great 06 load. At your distances, bc is moot.
IMO the 06 has the ability to shoot a 180 GR bullet, but often the accuracy node is too slow. The 165s give you a better package.

Last edited:
I want to start working on loads for elk for 2020. I've only started handloading this year and have only been shooting Sierra pro Hunter 150g and h4350 powder to get the hang of it. I picked h4350 because it was suggested in Lee's manual as a powder for a wide range of bullet weights.

I'm thinking I want to go with a 180-200g bullet for elk. I have no intention of shooting farther than 400yd. So, if I end up with a 200g bullet, I'll limit my range to whatever will get me an absolute minimum of 1500ft/lbs.

So here's what I'm shooting... .30-06 t3x superlite, which I believe has a 22.5" barrel. I would like to continue using h4350 powder, but I'll go with whatever will get me the best accuracy for the chosen bullet. I will load to the fastest speed I can get without going above recommended charges for a particular powder. So looking at Lee's manual, I might have a muzzle velocity anywhere from 2400fps to 2700fps for a 180-200g bullet.

My question is, if I'm thinking I'm mostly going to be shooting elk from 150-350yd, what bullet will perform the best at those ranges for the gun and cartridge that I'm using? Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good weight retention and ballistics?

H4350 with 180 grain pill.
I've shot that combo for 25 years in a variety of 06. Some bullets shoot better than others in one gun vs the other.
Most of mine like the old 180 gr interlock flat base behind 57g to 57.5 grains of h4350. I try to keep the speed around 2825 FPS. with that being said that's with 1:10 twist. I've used that combo out to 400 yards and it shoots sub 1 Moa out to that range. Lots of good combos out there but I found that particular round of a 06 is a good one. If it will not group with that round then something is wrong with the gun.

So many 30cal bullet choices out there it's hard to nail one down. I've seen elk carry a lot of lead even with well placed shots. I think 200gr thru 180gr just about perfect. If you want a mono there's the 165s. Find the most accurate for your rifle. I like the 180gr partitions or the 180 Gamekings or Grandslams or interlocks. Their all good.

I shoot a 143 ELD-X out of 6.5 CM. It gets good results with a good BC. This year a shooting buddy used 178 ELD-X to get his elk. I can ask about his data if you'd like.

I would just pick whatever well constructed 180 grain hunting bullet shoots best out of your rifle at 2600+ fps. To me, elk aren't indestructible and all of the premium 30 caliber 180 grain hunting bullets will do the job. Your range limit means that don't have to worry about losing too much velocity for ANY of them to expand properly.

IMO---bigger is better. I would go with the 160 grain--the 139 can't be that much flatter shooting. The 280 isn't in my circle of friends--the 7Mag is everyone uses 160 grain. 30/06--everyone I know uses 180 grain. I don't have much experience with the newer bonded bullets--I would recommend the old tried & true Nolser Partition.

As a long time elk hunter I recommend for your 30-06 the Barnes 150gr TSX. Win 760/H-414 powder. Right out of the Barnes manual, should give you about 3000 fps. Sighted 1 1/2" high at 100 should put you dead on at 200 & about 6 to 7" low at 300. This bullet will out penetrate heavier bonded or partitioned bullets. If it is an angled shot where bone penetration is required the mono's are the bullet. No close range blow up even if bone is hit. Considerably less blood shot meat with the mono's .

Pretty hard to beat the old partition in performance, this is a 180 found on the exit side hide of a bull my FIL killed at 458 yards earlier this month. Shot out of a 300 WSM.

Attachments

• 3CB59958-8318-4F55-9DE7-C80F741AE62A.jpeg
    3CB59958-8318-4F55-9DE7-C80F741AE62A.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 133
As a long time elk hunter I recommend for your 30-06 the Barnes 150gr TSX. Win 760/H-414 powder. Right out of the Barnes manual, should give you about 3000 fps. Sighted 1 1/2" high at 100 should put you dead on at 200 & about 6 to 7" low at 300. This bullet will out penetrate heavier bonded or partitioned bullets. If it is an angled shot where bone penetration is required the mono's are the bullet. No close range blow up even if bone is hit. Considerably less blood shot meat with the mono's .
Your way over confident in that bullet on elk bone, it does not have the momentum to get through elk shoulders at a high enough percentage. I've had to follow up way too many elk with that or a 165 Barnes because someone thought they where shooting a super bullet.

I have been taking elk with the Barnes 6.5 120 X from it's early beginning. . About 1994. Now using the 6.5 TSX. 120 gr. Have taken several elk with it over the years & never had a failure to penetrate. Never yet recovered one. These mono's are very underrated. Years ago with my wife's 6.5-08 wildcat at that time ( AKA 260 Rem now ) with the Barnes 120gr X completely penetrated both front shoulders on a rag horn bull at 197 yds. At the shot the bull dropped in it's tracks. That was the beginning. These bullets have performed flawlessly ever since. A friend with a 308 takes his elk every year with the Barnes 130gr mono. I base my cements on years of in the field experience with my own elk & those I have observed taken by others. Also same results with the 270 & the Barnes 130gr TSX.

I used the think they were awesome sauce till I started shooting elk on open fields and seeing just how many would fail to penetrate an elk shoulder. Many will blow through and look awesome but there are some that flat stop!!

Amazing to me how I have had total success with the Barnes mono on elk for decades , yet others say they have had failures. Having observed numerous other hunters I have helped take elk cleanly with them . As stated accurate placement means every thing regardless of cal or bullet. I had one hunter shoot at a bull around 85 yds 5 times before getting down. Then still required a 6th shot to finish it off. First shot broke a front leg, then one in the hip, the guts, a clean miss , then hit the spine above the shoulders. The last shot dropped the elk to the ground. He was using a 30-06 with factory 180gr bullets. A very ample round & bullet but poor shot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.