Bullet suggestions for elk

I didn't have any issues either till I started looking for them, they can be a great bullet but just because your shooting a Barnes doesn't mean you can all of the sudden shoot elk from any angle and be successful every time, I used to think so based on my experience in the mountains but once I started shooting elk on an open field and watching others where you see absalutely everything, no running over the hill or only seeing them for a split second. Not saying you can't be successful every time with any bullet BUT shot placement counts big time and having shot a ton of 165 and 168 Barnes from 06 to Magnums if you shoulder shoot elk be ready to pump more rounds in them, high shoulder you'll get away with most of the time center of the shoulder not even close.

My question is, if I'm thinking I'm mostly going to be shooting elk from 150-350yd, what bullet will perform the best at those ranges for the gun and cartridge that I'm using? Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good weight retention and ballistics?

Well you decided to rule out most mono metal bullets, I don't have a problem with using traditional bullets but your reasoning is wrong. I used to take your approach, I eventually realized the bullet I chose was a minuscule portion of the money I spent on a hunt. So if I spend $100-200 on a bullet for a hunt that offers the performance I want then I haven't spent that much money in the scheme of things.

I've been shooting some of the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip bullets lately in my 06. I prefer the 165 grain even for elk, but you can get them in 180 grain. They blend bonded bullet tip portion with a solid copper shank, so it's a hybrid bullet that offers great penetration and expansion.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019089394?pid=126572

I prefer the velocity gain and less recoil of the 165 grain bullet out of my 7lb .30-06. I haven't taken any game with that bullet yet, but I've not seen any indication that I can't deliver them accurately on game. I also feel the bullet construction is up to the task when I do get the chance to use them.

Many don't know it, but a rear lung shot on an elk is very, very deadly as it also takes out their diaphragm.

The one time I seen this on an elk (rear lungs/diaphragm) the elk was still on its feet 4 hours later when we got back on him. He then took a 300 Berger in the boiler room and started walking away...don't want that experience again.

I have not had the success with Barnes others had so I figure its me!
I prefer the open pointed Barnes and found almost all my box's of bullets had bent or stopped up hollow points.
I now plan on fixing that with newly bought tiny drill bits.
I also like Hornady Interbond bullets but Hornady stopped making them until they got the ELD bullets out and they are back to making the Interbond again so I just bought 100 bullets.
I also like the Accubond but do feel they ruin a lot of meat but dead is dead.
I also have killed many elk and deer with Nosler Partitions
That's my 4 bullet choices but if I had to get down to 1 bullet it would be the Interbond

I would like some help with a problem, I can't decide if a 338 win mag with 225 gr bullets or a 300 wsm with 190 gr should be my long range elk load. I just acquired the Winchester ew 300 wsm and have shot elk, moose and black bear with the 338. Any input would be helpful.

I would like some help with a problem, I can't decide if a 338 win mag with 225 gr bullets or a 300 wsm with 190 gr should be my long range elk load. I just acquired the Winchester ew 300 wsm and have shot elk, moose and black bear with the 338. Any input would be helpful.
That's pretty much 6 to 1, half dozen to the other...

It will depend on the bullet, but I ran the numbers for a 200 ELD-X in the WSM at 2850 fps, and a 230 ELD-X in 338 WM at 2750 fps, and there's not much between them in terms of drop/wind. The B.C. slightly favors the 338, but the 300 WSM has a little edge in speed.

I personally would go with whichever one you can shoot the best in field conditions, and if that's the same, whichever one has the features you want (weight, stock ergos, etc). They will both put the stomp on an elk out to at least 600 yds (2000 ftlbs, 2000 fps).

You have what's known as a champagne problem. I'd take whichever I enjoyed shooting more.

Thanks for the input, the 338 is a ruger hawkeye SS laminate. My load is 78 gr Alliant RL 19, 225 gr at approx 2944fps. It is heavy , a little heavy recoil. The 300 wsm is A Winchester m70 extreme weather SS about 8 lbs. Prob will shoot 190 gr at 2900. I am leaning towards the Winchester.

Thanks for the input, the 338 is a ruger hawkeye SS laminate. My load is 78 gr Alliant RL 19, 225 gr at approx 2944fps. It is heavy , a little heavy recoil. The 300 wsm is A Winchester m70 extreme weather SS about 8 lbs. Prob will shoot 190 gr at 2900. I am leaning towards the Winchester.
I've shot a few elk with my 300 WSM, they all died 😀. I'd choose less recoil and go with the WSM.

300WSM has been a giant killer for two friends of mine, all with 168 TSX. One shoots a few elk with the 180 Accubond. Both have lighter weight rifles too.

I want to start working on loads for elk for 2020.

I'm thinking I want to go with a 180-200g bullet for elk. I have no intention of shooting farther than 400yd.

So here's what I'm shooting... .30-06 t3x superlite, which I believe has a 22.5" barrel. I would like to continue using h4350 powder, but

My question is, if I'm thinking I'm mostly going to be shooting elk from 150-350yd, what bullet will perform the best at those ranges for the gun and cartridge that I'm using? Does anyone have any recommendations on a bullet for that range and velocity that isn't $0.70/bullet and has good weight retention and ballistics?
Ryan,
I do not know if I have put my suggestions down here for you so I will do that now.

you most likely have a 1:10" wist barrel, your gun will be great for elk at the ranges you state. the slugs I would suggest are maybe not the ones you are thinking.

my first suggestion is the family of Barnes TSX. specifically the 165/168 grain slugs. highly effective out to nearly 400 yards. I trusted these to take down elk with my 270 win, and my 338 Win Mag. they performed well.
second suggestion. Nosler Accubond, ballistic silver tip, and ballistic tip solid base all 180 grain.
third are the Berger VLD hunters I would start with the 175 grain. if they are not good enough for you the 185 grain should be good enough. if they are not the 190's should fit the bill for you. these are the best ballistically efficient slugs I know with the lease drop. giving you the best advantage to take the Elk at longer yardages.

I know nothing about Hammer, ACP, and cutting edge. I have not used them but I have been told by people that do: they are good/reliable slugs. once I try them I will know for sure.

the slugs I am leery about are sierra slugs except game kings, hornady slugs that are not SST or Inner Bond. The hot core Speer I have been told are discontinued or I would have stated them up above as ones that I would suggest. the hollow point boat tail hot core were very good to me back in the 1990's.

Ryan- first, "hello from Sandy!" :) Go to shootersproshop.com and for $22.65 you get 50 165gr Partitions "Blems". Nothing structurally wrong or deflective with "blems". Work up to 56-57gr of H4350, get after it Pard!

I also highly, 'strongly agree" that $$$ spent on bullets is never a waste of money. One method I like to use is this; You can start out with a box of 100 Hornady 150 gr spire points. Work up a good load. ( 57-59gr H4350 or so, you may be able to go to 62) Then back off a few grains from that load and work up with the 150 Barnes TTSX. They will shoot close to each other and the Hornady 150sp is great for practice and wonderful for deer. Then you just finesse your sighting with the 150 Barnes for elk season. Doesn't get much cheaper! :) I should know, I'm Scots-Irish, I know how to squeeze a penny! ha

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.