Do you shoot with 1 or Both eyes open?

• Only 1 eye

Votes: 88 39.8%
  • Both eyes

Votes: 86 38.9%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 51 23.1%

• Total voters
My dad taught me when I was little to always keep both eyes open, so thats the way Ive been doing it since I was about 6 years old. I have to agree with those that said it is more relaxing to keep both open. It gives a much more natural feel.

I have been shooting with both eyes open for as long as I can remember. In my adolescents, I was enrolled in cadets where they had a shooting range. My first time there, the range officer noticed I was shooting with both eyes open and proceeded to yelling that I was doing it wrong and should have one eye closed.
After "hearing him out" I tried with one eye closed and couldn't hit the side of a barn for the life of me... more screaming and yelling followed. This guy was a knob... a complete ***!
Once he was done, I went back to both eyes open only to hear him praise me for the terrific shooting. Proudly, I yelled, "That was with both eyes open! Wanna see me try again with one eye???" Needless to say, he shut up rather quickly and to this day, I still shoot with both eyes open. It's just habit... not comfort or any other reason.

Handgun, shotgun, bow, both eyes open. Rifle, depends on light conditions but there is no difference in accuracy either way. Both open gives faster target acquisition. I have found that regulating my other eye can control the image clarity with glare or low light. IMO.

I shoot with one eye open. I know it is better to shoot with both eyes open for a number of reasons, but have not been able to master it yet. Unfortunately, I have a deeply engrained bad habit...

I can't honestly answer the poll, because I honestly don't know. I think I have both eyes open, I do when I shoot indoor pistol league but when I shoot a rifle, I'm not sure.:)

I keep one eye closed with rifle, I'm right handed and left eye dominant, bow I keep both open but, I shoot a bow left handed. Pistol I keep right eye closed but still shoot right handed, though I could keep them both closed and do just about as well, I suck with a hand gun:D

I've just started to shoot both eyes open. I find it helps me relax, and keeps me from blinking, which used to be a problem.

It also allows me to check my bubble level and focus knob with my left eye, without breaking cheekweld.

Both eyes open. I'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. Closing my left eye causes my right eye to "squint" and I loose focus for a period of time. Squinting may also change your cheek weld as I have a tendency to have to raise my head a little to compensate for my right eye partially closing. If sun glare is an issue I try to use some sort of shade such as pulling the brim of a ball cap more over the left eye to cover the glare. You can easily practice with both methods without firing a shot, just be aware of how they change your shooting focus and continue with what works best.

I find that if i am in a jump shooting situation i instinctively shoot with both eyes open, if i am target shooting or am on stand were rushed shots are not expected i close my left eye for accuracy

I find that if i am in a jump shooting situation i instinctively shoot with both eyes open, if i am target shooting or am on stand were rushed shots are not expected i close my left eye for accuracy

Interesting, several yrs ago I learned to keep both eyes open for accuracy while target shooting, one through the scope and the other to observe the flags or like someone else mentioned to watch the bubble level.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts