do you benchrest shoot with a magnum light rifle?

snake

im curious to know if any of you use a light 7-8pd rifle at the bench to shoot. im trying to use my 7 rem mag in factory weight. boy its tough! with muzzle jump im getting between 1moa and 2moa at 100yrd groups. hard to keep it tight and shoot good groups. I know it can do it but its the shooters fault why it can't.

how do you shoot light rifles at the bench or in the field to get good consistant groups?

im not using a rear sandbag or any aids for stability,just a bi-pod and me.

im curious to know if any of you use a light 7-8pd rifle at the bench to shoot. im trying to use my 7 rem mag in factory weight. boy its tough! with muzzle jump im getting between 1moa and 2moa at 100yrd groups. hard to keep it tight and shoot good groups. I know it can do it but its the shooters fault why it can't.

how do you shoot light rifles at the bench or in the field to get good consistant groups?

im not using a rear sandbag or any aids for stability,just a bi-pod and me.

haven't shot with a magnum, but even with my .308, there's a huge difference between using a bi-pod and a bag for a front rest, like going from sub MOA to 2-3 MOA on a bad day. one thing is, have a towel or somethinng under the bipod, it will help absorb the vibrations and should reduce jump somewhat

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/importance-being-solid-91149/

I've found that if trying to shoot without solid rear support my POI can vary significantly. I use front and rear bags from a bench, and rear bags when using a bipod in the field. Doing so minimizes the difference between them, at least in my experience so far.

Last fall we were trying various scenarios to prepare for a hunt. Going from bench to bipod didn't make much difference as we kept the rifles supported both times. Move to a standing tripod at 300 yards where you have no rest under the rear of the rifle and you're now standing as well... wow did those groups open up. A bit of an extreme example, but you'll see the same thing when prone or on a bench if the rear isn't supported too.

From the bench I always use a padded front support and rear sand bag. I tried the bipod method years ago and got inconsistent results.
I don't have any light rifles, mine are all 11+ lbs, but it's critical that I have my right arm/elbow supported, moreso when shooting from field positions. A solid rest up front is little comfort when the rear is unsupported. JohnnyK.

I had a rem 700 sps .308 that I built up for target shooting. Put it in a b/c medalist m40 stock adn fed it some really nice handloads. it would shoot sub 1/2 moa off of bags, as soon as i switched to a bi-pod and rear bag groups would open up to 1.5 moa. Putting a towel or something under the bi-pod feet would help but it still wouldn't shoot as good as just off of sand bags. Best advice i could give is to put a stock on it with an aluminum bedding block and make sure the barrel is free floated. Next, make sure you're shooting quality ammo and try to match the bullet weight to you rifling twist rate.

happy shooting

7lb 270WSM... Bipod and a rear bag produce the best results for me. Get off the bench, I've never seen one hunting!

A bi pod and rear bag or right knee cap is what I will be using in the field. So...that is how I practice...................... What your asking about are the fundamentals..........solid is always better. Brace the rear with whatever is available. Magnum vs other wise suggests a recoil issue.......when your squeezing the shot just remember: it isn't gonna actually do damage to you and if you pull it off clean the aftermath does not even matter the deed will be done.......... "focus on the before , before worrying about the after".................... one shot at a time. I have had some down right impressive groups from a 8lb 300wsm tikka t3 lite from the bench. The more support you can use the better you'll shoot and it is as simple as that. Universal truth that applies to everyone and is not caliber specific. Good luck

I used to shoot a 375 RUM and 416 Rigby from the bench. In one outing I shot 20 rounds of each from the bench. After 20 rounds with the Rigby it became unbearable. The RUM wasnt near as bad. Neither were braked. I sold the rifles since I don't live in Alaska any longer. I'll never shoot from the bench with heavy hitters without a brake ever again. You'll start to develop a flinch. Well at least I did with the Rigby.

if you hunt bean feilds or senduro's from a blind, practice from the bench. Otherwise its a waste of time.
I shoot 100% from a bi-pod or backpack for getting data. Even load development. this is anything from a .243WIN to a .338 RUM.
Rear support is crutial, as well as having good Natural point of aim. Lacking either of these you might do okay, but i doubt it could be done consistantly. My rear support is usually my jacket, toque or spare socks.
when shooting off a bi-pod make sure your not straining your muscles by holding yourself up. your support should be off bone.
Just figure out a system that works for you and attempt to perfect it. If thats back pack or bi-pod, rear bag, jacket or mono-pod, whatever works.

thanks guys,i only ask because i want the gun to SHOOT and know whats its gonna do before i hunt with it. If its all over the paper or within a coffee can sized group,i think thats sloppy shootin and preperation. I don't like blaming the rifle after I have tested it thourghly and prepped it for a hunt.

I like to use a bag off the front(backpack) and some bag support in the back. I got my groups down to under 1" at 100yrds with 140gr Sierra Gamekings. I try to use a solid support being bone and have the butt of the rifle stock held firm agains my shoulder solid.

I will admit I got tighter groups with more tigger time but I would rather muzzle brake the gun.

7magnum.jpg

A bi pod and rear bag or right knee cap is what I will be using in the field. So...that is how I practice...................... What your asking about are the fundamentals..........solid is always better. Brace the rear with whatever is available. Magnum vs other wise suggests a recoil issue.......when your squeezing the shot just remember: it isn't gonna actually do damage to you and if you pull it off clean the aftermath does not even matter the deed will be done.......... "focus on the before , before worrying about the after".................... one shot at a time. I have had some down right impressive groups from a 8lb 300wsm tikka t3 lite from the bench. The more support you can use the better you'll shoot and it is as simple as that. Universal truth that applies to everyone and is not caliber specific. Good luck

Well said...and I have found many...many...benches to shoot from while out hunting. The call them different names...(Backpack, Rock, Log, Tree, Dirt) but their role is exactly the same. Learn on a regular bench and then spend some time using field benches.

Benchrest shooting is properly done with front and rear sandbags. (that would be a period)

And put your non trigger hand at the rear bag for stability. Bipods are sniperwannabee junque. 7mm's jump more than 300 win mags. Its just the way it is. Good luck.

Benchrest shooting is properly done with front and rear sandbags. (that would be a period)

And put your non trigger hand at the rear bag for stability. Bipods are sniperwannabee junque. 7mm's jump more than 300 win mags. Its just the way it is. Good luck.

Do you pack your 25lb "proper" benchrest rifle and bench out hunting? Bipods are game changers in the field and oddly enough my 7MMs don't kick as hard as my 300s but I do not shoot "proper"............ I live and shoot in the real world. Visit us there some time..................Duke

And put your non trigger hand at the rear bag for stability. Bipods are sniperwannabee junque. 7mm's jump more than 300 win mags. Its just the way it is. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Hmm thats funny. guys like Darrel Holland, Shawn Carlock, Kirdy Allen and other established long range HUNTERs use them because they feel that it extends their effective range. I use one when my gun isnt in my backpack, because I'm a long range hunter and i feel that its worth the wieght. I guess I just want to be a sniper. If you have a 1911 your a SEAL or something right (is that what they use?)?

*** LONG RANGE HUNTING FORUM***

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.